FORMULA 1 - 2010

And again: Kimi's not returning to F1

Kimi-Raikkonen1_2512151.jpg

In case you missed it the first 20-odd times it was said: Kimi Raikkonen will not be returning to Formula One next season.

The Finn, who left Formula One at the end of the 2009 season after parting ways with Ferrari and failing to land a McLaren drive, was linked to a possible return to Renault.

However, the move didn't come off with Raikkonen actually hitting out the team for using his name to boost their image.

That followed by reports from all quarters saying the 2007 World Champ would not be returning to Formula One next season.

But in case you missed it, his manager Steve Roberston has repeated it.

"We're no longer looking at opportunities in F1. Kimi seems to be focused on rallying at the moment," he told Finnish television station MTV3.

Roberston, though, did not rule out the possibility of Raikkonen returning at a later stage.

"Never say never, but right now our eye is not on F1," he added.

"Nothing's been decided yet (for the WRC). We'll let you know when there is something to say. At the moment nothing has been signed. We're talking to several teams."

MIKA: I dont understand how Kimi is only looking for a team that can offer him a competative car to go for the WDC in F1 yet looking at his petty results thus far in Rally Cars, it's kind of contradictive.... B)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rubens 'hoping to stay' at Williams

Rubens-Barrichello_2455075.jpg

Rubens Barrichello is hopeful of retaining his Williams drive for next season despite rumours claiming the deal is already done.

Barrichello had previously said he was 100 percent sure he would be back with the team in 2011 but reports have him possibly being replaced by Venezuelan pay-driver Pastor Maldonado.

The Brazilian said: "I've done a good job this year and I'm focused on the car for next year, so I'm hoping to stay, but that is something you will have to ask Williams.

"The start of the season was not so good; we thought we had a good car but it was hard for us to be in the top 10.

"But the rapport with the team was very good and we managed to improve.

"I've been working on the car for next year. There are things arising from the regulations that we are only going to find out later, but the design is bold and 2011 is going to be better than this one."

MIKA: It's in the bag Rubhino!

'McLaren won't give up on Button'

Jenson-Button_2518248.jpg

McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh has confirmed Jenson Button will be given full support in next weekend's Brazilian GP.

It would appear only a miracle can aid Button's quest to retain his title - he trails Championship leader Fernando Alonso by 42 points with only 50 to play for from the final two races.

Although the sensible approach would have been for McLaren to throw all their weight behind Lewis Hamilton, who is 21 points off Alonso, upon review Whitmarsh has now decided to continue backing both men.

"While Jenson lies 42 points adrift, he has vowed to fight on," said Whitmarsh.

"As the reigning World Champion, and a great driver, he knows better than most that you can't lift the title without being a resolute fighter.

"That's exactly why we hired him, and we'll be supporting him fully next weekend."

Whitmarsh remains convinced McLaren can win both titles, with his team 27 points behind Red Bull in the Constructors' standings, and despite Hamilton's claim he is only driving the third fastest car at present.

A resolute Whitmarsh added: "If Formula One has taught us one thing over the past couple of years, it's to never give up hope until the odds are no longer possible, that the most unexpected outcome can become a very real and viable possibility sooner than you can readily imagine.

"With that in mind we go to Brazil, and then on to Abu Dhabi, still determined to wrest both World Championships.

"In the Constructors', we're only 27 points off top spot, a very slender margin, and one both Jenson and Lewis are convinced we can bridge by the time the chequered flag falls in Abu Dhabi.

"We're ready for battle and working harder than ever to win both World Championships."

Schumi hails Merc GP's 'fighting spirit'

Michael-Schumacher_2518730.jpg

Michael Schumacher says he's impressed with Merc's run-up to the end of the season, as they've produced decent results despite lacking big developments.

Schumacher has scored 66 points to date in his comeback season, 20 of those coming in the last two races, Japan and Korea.

As a result, the German is back up to ninth place in the Drivers' standings, although faces stiff competition for the position from Adrian Sutil and Rubens Barrichello, who are both on 47 points.

However, the seven-time World Champ is confident of bagging more points in Brazil, saying Mercedes GP's "fighting spirit" will make up for their lack of "big developments."

"The season is coming to an end and I have to say that I am very impressed with how our guys have coped with it, especially in the last few flyaway races," said Schumacher.

"Even though we have not had any big developments recently, we have still delivered promising performances.

"The characteristics of the Interlagos circuit are not too far away from those of the last races so we can go to Brazil in quite a confident mood.

"Our fighting spirit is good and we would like to finish the season in a positive way.

"So I am looking forward to going to Sao Paulo and hopefully achieving another result that I can be happy with."

Williams says Hulkenberg future F1 champion

Nico_Hulkenberg_01a.jpg

Williams team owner, Sir Frank Williams, believes Nico Hulkenberg will be a future world champion, 'hopefully' with the Grove based team.

This will come as good news to the 2009 GP2 champion who has been under increasing pressure to perform as rumours suggest he'll be dropped for Venezuelan driver, Pastor Maldonardo.

The 68-year-old praised his recent performances, with the German scoring 15 points in the latter half of the season, just three less than the more experienced Rubens Barrichello, but admitted some disappointment in the earlier half of the season.

"He was a little disappointing maybe in the first few races," Williams told the BBC. "Perhaps he was being over-cautious. But lately he's become very competitive and I think we've just seen the beginning of something very exceptional.

"He's one of these drivers, a bit like Lewis [Hamilton], who was moved from 'Formula this' to 'Formula that' and won that formula, then went from 'Formula that' to 'Formula something else' and won that, all the way up through Formula 3 and GP2, he won every single championship.

"And in the right team - hopefully us, one day - he'll win the world championship in Formula 1."

When pressed on whether fans will see Hulkenberg in F1 next year, Williams replied: "Absolutely. We do hope so, yes."

Sauber preview the Brazilian GP

Sauber_Rosberg_Mercedes_01.jpg

Kamui Kobayashi: "In 2009 I drove my first ever Formula One race in Brazil when I stood in for Timo Glock at Toyota. I didn't expect much because I didn't know the Interlagos track and I hadn't driven an F1 car in dry conditions for eight months. It was a difficult situation for me, but I just believed in myself and my goal was to make no mistakes and finish the race. It's a nice track which is physically very demanding. In the 2009 race it was tough for my neck, especially in the last corner which is extremely long and has high g-forces. The track is also quite technical, but for me the main aspect was the physical one. Of course, this will not be a problem again this year. The weekend was very special for me in every respect. The weather conditions changed constantly, and it was almost impossible to work on the set-up. We just changed tyres time and time again, and I tried to complete as many laps as possible in practice. I'm very much looking forward to my second Brazilian Grand Prix."

Nick Heidfeld: "I like the Interlagos circuit. It isn't a very long lap, but it is demanding. We drive anti-clockwise and a special loading on the neck muscles is characteristic to that circuit. My favourite corner is number 6 - an uphill double right hander, fast and blind. We have had unbelievably exciting races in Sao Paulo, and quite often the weather has played a role. I have many special memories from Brazilian Grands Prix. In 2001 I achieved my first podium in F1 with Sauber. It was in the rain and it was unforgettable and emotional. In 2002 all of a sudden there was a medical car on the track, which wasn't supposed to be there. The fractions of a second when I was hoping the driver would not step out of the car's door he had just opened seemed to me like an eternity. I wouldn't have had a chance of avoiding hitting him. Luckily he didn't get out. For the last four years the championship has been decided in Interlagos, and this can happen again in 2010. In any case, the chances for another exciting race are quite high."

Technical Director James Key: "It is good to go back to Interlagos, as this race has a great atmosphere and a lot of support from the local fans there. The track is an interesting one with several overtaking opportunities, so potentially making the race an exciting one. Our intention will be to maximise our points in the best way possible, and try to continue the trend of the last few races. The C29 will be the same specification it has been in previous events, but we obviously have several set up options to consider. One of these is the downforce level. In Interlagos you either gain on the straights or in the corners of the windy infield section, so we will have to strike the right compromise. Because of this we will have to watch our top speeds, but also the balance and grip level of the car in the second part of the lap. Our car's strength should be to deal with the front tyre wear. Regarding the mechanical set up, we will have to consider the track's bumpy surface and also watch for a change of direction and good front end grip, with traction being important at the end of the lap into the uphill section."

Red Bull preview the Brazilian GP

Mark_Webber_Red_Bull_Hungary_Budapest_01.jpg

Mark Webber: "Brazil is one of the best tracks of the year in terms of the atmosphere. The Brazilians are fully into their motorsports and have had lot of world Champions in the past. I obviously have good memories from there from last year, it was a nice race to win and we will clearly be trying to get another victory this year. It's now coming to a pivotal stage of the Championship and we need to make the most of every opportunity we can."

Sebastian Vettel: "There are a lot of positive things about the upcoming event in Brazil. The circuit is fantastic and the spectators are passionate about racing; the atmosphere during a race is great and the city is interesting. The Interlagos track is a challenging one for the drivers because it's anti-clockwise which, after a season of racing on clockwise circuits, puts a strain on your neck muscles. Also the big bumps are demanding. The circuit requires good aero- efficiency which should suit the RB6 although the long, uphill start-finish straight will give an advantage to the more powerful engines. It's always a challenging circuit and the weather often plays a part."

Mercedes preview the Brazilian GP

Nico_Rosberg_Mercedes_MGP01_Bahrain_01a.jpg

Nico Rosberg: "The Brazilian fans are always fantastic and Interlagos is a really fun track to drive so I'm looking forward to the weekend in Sao Paulo. The combination of the tight infield and the long straight make the track layout very unique. The fact that Interlagos is at a very high altitude level means that the engine has less power due to the thinner air and the car has less grip and lower downforce which is a challenge. There are good overtaking opportunities and the weather always seems to play a part in the race weekend to make it more unpredictable. It was disappointing not to finish the race in Korea from such a strong position but our performance over the weekend was good and we were able to get the most out of the car. It would be nice to continue this and finish the season with strong performances."

Michael Schumacher: "The season is coming to an end and I have to say that I am very impressed with how our guys have coped with it, especially in the last few flyaway races. Even though we have not had any big developments recently, we have still delivered promising performances. The characteristics of the Interlagos circuit are not too far away from those of the last races so we can go to Brazil in quite a confident mood. Our fighting spirit is good and we would like to finish the season in a positive way. So I am looking forward to going to Sao Paulo and hopefully achieving another result that I can be happy with."

Ross Brawn: "The Brazilian Grand Prix is always a fantastic occasion and with the intense battle for the World Championship, it will be an exciting weekend for the fans at the circuit and watching around the world. Interlagos provides several challenges with its high altitude location and the bumpy surface creating two of the key engineering considerations when setting up the car. We have had a run of strong results recently, considering our relative performance position, and I am optimistic that we can continue the recent trend at the last two races. Of course this is not a position that we are happy with and we are working very hard to ensure that we are back where we want to be next year, challenging for race wins."

Norbert Haug: "The last two races of a very exciting Formula One season will take place within eight days in Sao Paulo and Abu Dhabi which is an enormous challenge at the end of a long and demanding season. Everybody at the MERCEDES GP PETRONAS team is fully motivated as the last five races have seen our team achieve the best possible results with our current technical package. We have finished regularly behind the World Championship contenders and sometimes between them. At the last race in Korea, we showed better potential with Michael finishing in fourth place and Nico ahead of the eventual second-placed finisher Lewis Hamilton, prior to being taken out of the race. Everybody in our team is fully focused and concentrated to finish the season with the best possible results and build the baseline for better results on a regular basis in 2011."

Force India preview the Brazilian GP

Liuzzi_Sutil_2010_Canada_Force_India_02.jpg

Adrian Sutil: The Brazilian Grand Prix is always a really special event on the calendar for me. I love going to South America as I have some heritage there on my father's side and the atmosphere at the track is really something special. The fans are so passionate that you can hear the cheers even when you're in the car! The track itself is very enjoyable and moves up and down over the lap to give a real rollercoaster ride, particularly when you go down into the first corner - the car is almost sideways into the bend. It's tough for sure as the ambient temperatures can be high and it's sometimes very humid and when it rains, it rains hard as we saw in 2008. But the toughest is the bumps: when you're going round the track during the race you really feel each one!

You need a car that's quick on the straights but also stable through the twisty section at the lower part of the track so getting a good balance is key. Fortunately this year we've got a car that performs well on this type of track as we saw in Spa so I am very optimistic we can do a good job and get some more points.

Last year I was third on the grid but we know going into the event that it won't be possible this season as we have the penalty from the Korean GP. I didn't have a great race in Korea and now to have a penalty for the next race makes it even more disappointing. We never give up though and as we showed in the last race we have a very strong race pace and quite often a good strategy so we can make positions - Tonio moved up 11 positions in Korea. I'm very motivated to get over the penalty and get back ninth position in the drivers' championship and of course to do everything I can to help the team get to sixth in the constructors'.

Tonio Liuzzi: Korea was a fantastic race in the end - after a few difficult races we needed a race where things went well, we got to the finish and got some decent points. For the first time in a long time I had a really good feeling with the car. It was as if I was totally connected with it and that meant I could push with complete confidence.

We showed again that when conditions are tough we can be in the game. The team did a great job in the pit stop, deciding the right moment to change the tyres, and the stop was really quick. Everything was perfect and I had a really strong race. We didn't make any mistakes after that, we made the right overtaking moves at the right time, everything was done at the right moment, and it paid off at the end.

For me it was really important to show we are back in business and the first thing I said on the radio to my engineers was the luck had to turn one day, sooner or later! Fortunately we were able to show that when things are going right, we are there, and we are fast, and we are ready to do great things. It's good to see this, and we hopefully can have the same kind of result in the next few races.

I'm now really looking forward to Brazil. In qualifying I was fast in the rain, but then had an aquaplaning moment and started far down the grid but the race was very strong as I got my best finish of the short season there. I like the track, and I think we can be quite competitive there. I've come away from Korea on a positive note so hopefully we can keep that going for the next two races.

Paul di Resta, test and reserve driver: Korea was a fascinating experience for me as I saw how the team approaches a brand new track and facilities. Also to have that sort of race with the changing conditions gave a real insight into how the team deals with evolving situations and reacts to them. To get the result we did was also a real boost for the team as we're in such a tight battle for sixth in the championship.

Now we're off to Brazil, my first trip to the country, and another new track. I've enjoyed every minute of the season so far and preparing for each event, learning the circuits and getting to know the team. Even though it's a busy part of the year for me with the DTM championship nearing its close as well it's very exciting to be part of two such dynamic series at this point in time.

Vijay Mallya, chairman and team principal: We came away from Korea pretty pleased with the result, particularly after a tough couple of races. Tonio did a great job over the race and to get eight more points was a brilliant effort. Adrian of course had a more difficult time but we managed to extend the gap over Williams by a point and regain our confidence levels. We can of course still optimise our performance but to come away with a slightly larger cushion for sixth in the championship is a satisfying step at this stage in the game.

I hope that Interlagos will be a good track for us. It's lower downforce, which should play to the strengths of the car, and both drivers have performed well at the track in the past. It can also throw up unpredictable conditions, which we have shown we can shine in at events like Canada and Korea this year. Last year we qualified well and although the competition has got a whole lot tougher and closer I'm still hopeful we can put on a good show.

We're bringing some small aero updates again and a couple of mechanical changes to tease everything we can out of the car. We felt that we didn't get the maximum potential from the car in qualifying in Korea, so we'll try to improve on that in Brazil to set us up for a better race. It's really the final push so we're putting all our heads together to get everything we can.

McLaren preview the Brazilian GP

Jenson_Button_McLaren_MP4-25_MP425_2010_987651.jpg

Jenson Button: "The Brazilian Grand Prix is a special race for me because it's where I won the world championship last year. This will be the first time I've been back since then, so I'm really looking forward to it.

"Interlagos is an incredible racetrack - a place where you can race hard, where all your mistakes are punished and where you're really rewarded for attacking. I think our package will be well suited to this circuit.

"When I was here last year I learnt an important lesson: I qualified 14th while my team-mate put his car on pole – but when I thought it was almost all over, I threw caution to the wind and drove one of the most attacking, best drives of my F1 career. And that's something that I'll be taking with me into this weekend, when I know I'll not only need a strong result, but also to rely on others failing to score to keep me in the hunt for the championship.

"Given the points situation, I know that I face an uphill struggle to hold on to the world title, but I'll be giving it everything I've got this weekend to stay in contention. I fought hard to become the 2009 world champion, and I won't give up my title without a fight."

Lewis Hamilton: "I always seem to have a unique experience at Brazil. In my first year in Formula 1, I battled past a load of cars but could only finish seventh, losing out on the world championship. The following year, I had another tricky race, but managed to take fifth position on the final lap to win the world title. Last year, we got qualifying wrong, I started 17th and used KERS to boost my way up to third in one of the best races of my career. I guess what I'm saying is that I'd like a nice, straightforward race this year!

"We go to Brazil knowing that we may not have the fastest car, but we'll have a decent package that should work well. We have a strong engine and good straightline speed, so I think we'll still be quick – crucially, that combination should give us the opportunity to pass into the first corner, which is probably the best overtaking spot on the track.

"I know the world championship is figuring in everybody's thoughts at the moment, but I'm not thinking about it too much: I need to get a good result in Brazil to take the fight to Abu Dhabi, so that's my priority. Whatever happens, it's going to be a very tight battle."

Martin Whitmarsh - Team principal, Vodafone McLaren Mercedes: "We're now reaching the critical climax of this year's world championship. With the two final races spread just one week apart, and five drivers still in the hunt for overall honours, it's a fascinating and thrilling prospect for our sport.

"If Formula 1 has taught us competitors one thing over the past couple of years, it's to never give up hope until the odds are no longer possible, and that the most unexpected outcome can become a very real and viable possibility sooner than you can readily imagine.

With that in mind, we go to Brazil, and then on to Abu Dhabi, still determined to wrest both world championships. Lewis is well-placed in the drivers' championship. While Jenson lies 42 points adrift, he has vowed to fight on. As the reigning world champion, and a great driver, he knows better than most that you can't lift the title without being a resolute fighter. That's exactly why we hired him, and we'll be supporting him fully this weekend.

"As for the Constructors' Championship, we're only 27 points off the top spot – a very slender margin, and one that both Jenson and Lewis are convinced we can bridge by the time the chequered flag falls in Abu Dhabi.

Mosley: Alonso title win could devalue F1

Massa_Alonso_podium_Germany_Hockenheim_01.jpg

If Alonso wins the championship by seven points or less, then the sport could be devalued - that's the view of former FIA president Max Mosley.

The 70-year-old believes the points Alonso gained from overtaking Felipe Massa during the Hockenheim grand prix, under team orders, should have been stripped from the Spaniards total.

"I did feel at the very least that the extra points that Alonso got by overtaking Massa under team orders should have been taken away," he told the BBC.

In fact, the FIA's WMSC decided a paltry $100,000 fine would suffice as punishment, a decision which came as a surprise to many fans and F1 pundits who had expected a much harsher penalty.

For that reason, Mosley is worried F1 could be damaged if the Ferrari driver were to win with a margin of less than seven points.

"If by any chance Alonso were to win the championship, with a margin less than the seven points that he picked up, I would say illegitimately in Hockenheim, it would devalue the championship.

"But that's just a personal view," he added.

Bridgestone preview the Brazilian GP

Bridgestone_Michael_Schumacher_0001.jpg

Hiroshi Yasukawa - Director of Bridgestone Motorsport: "Brazil is a fantastic country and the South Americas are very important markets with good growth so it is natural for Bridgestone to appreciate the strong presence here provided by the Brazilian Grand Prix. We have production facilities in Brazil and we appreciate the strong support we enjoy from all our personnel there. We have worked with so many Brazilian drivers over the years and always enjoy their feedback and appreciation. We also look forward to the very enthusiastic fans at this superb event."

Hirohide Hamashima - Bridgestone Director of Motorsport Tyre Development: "Interlagos is a wonderful, challenging circuit. Despite being the second shortest track which we visit, it has an impressive straight and many exciting corners. The turns are mainly medium and low speed meaning that mechanical grip and rear stability is important. The weather is often a big factor as it can range from very hot to very wet. To maximise performance, it is essential to have good car balance through the sequence of corners leading to the uphill section and start – finish section, which in many ways is reminiscent of an oval course. Braking into the first corner is a good overtaking opportunity, but also gives drivers the risk of flat spotting their tyres so caution is advised. These final races for Bridgestone should show our strong performing, but most importantly, safe tyres and also the good work by our engineers advising teams how to make best use of them."

2011 test calendar takes shape

BMW-Sauber_C29_testing_2010_01.jpg

There will be four test sessions for the 2011 season as the teams confirm dates and locations.

In addition, the teams will get the opportunity to test young drivers during a two-day test in Abu Dhabi, immediately after the final race of the 2010 season.

A tyre test will also take place at the Yas Marina circuit following the young driver test - this will give the teams an opportunity to collect some data as they switch from Bridgestone to Pirelli.

1. 16th - 17th November Yas Marina, Abu Dhabi Young Driver

2. 19th - 20th November Yas Marina, Abu Dhabi Tyre Test

3. 1st - 3rd February Ricardo Tormo Circuit, Spain 2011

4. 10th - 13th February Jerez, Spain 2011

5. 18th - 21st February Circuit de Catalunya, Spain 2011

6. 3rd - 6th March Bahrain International Circuit, Bahrain 2011

The 2011 season starts on March 11th in Bahrain.

The Sebastian Vettel Story

Malaysia_Sebastian_Vettel_wins_Celebrates_01-a.jpg

Sebastian Vettel burst onto the F1 scene at the 2007 USA Grand Prix and has since never looked back. Seen as the next Schumacher , he has big shoes to fill and is doing an admirable job under the pressure. So what makes Seb so good? Well this is his story.

Born in Heppenheim on July 3rd 1987, Sebastian Vettel had a passion for motor-racing from a young age claiming his 3 heroes as the 3 Michael's, Schumacher, Jackson and Jordan. He has 1 brother and 2 sisters and it was his sister Stephanie who got Seb into karts when he was aged 7 as she herself drove for a few years. Aged 8 Seb began competing in go-kart events and soon was winning titles in Germany. Aged 9 he looked for long-term sponsorship and joined the Red Bull junior team, that same year he won his first national event.

From then on his made his way through the ranks through Formula BMW aged 15, finishing 2nd in his first season and claimed best rookie honours. The next year Vettel really showed his potential, as he dominated the series with 18 wins from 20 races, 14 poles and 13 track records. This earned him a test drive with the Williams team and a contract with BMW. In 2005 he raced in F3 in the Euroseries finishing 5th in his rookie year and claiming best rookie. He again tested the Wiliams car at Jerez before finishing 3rd at the Macau Grand Prix.

In 2006 he again raced in F3 finishing 2nd in the championship this time with 4 wins, 3 coming in Germany. During a race at Spa that year Vettel nearly lost a finger as debris from a crash flew through his cockpit and this was meant to put him out of action for a month, however a week later he raced in Zandvoort in Holland where he finished 6th. A month or so later after BMW Sauber had fired Jacques Villeneuve after a poor performance and replaced him with Robert Kubica so a vacancy was there for a test driver, Vettel went for the test at Jerez and got the drive so now Vettel was in 2 championships and a F1 test driver. At the 2006 Turkish Grand Prix Vettel picked up 2 records as he became the youngest ever driver to take part in a Grand Prix weekend as he drove for BMW in free practice, at the age of 19 years and 53 days, but he also became the quickest driver to ever pick up a penalty as he was fined $1000 for speeding in the pit-lane just 9 seconds into his debut! He astonished on-lookers with his speed as well as being quickest in the session.

sebastian-vettel460.jpg

Then in 2007 after Kubica's massive crash in Canada a week before Vettel made his full debut at the USA Grand Prix from Indianapolis qualifying in the top 10 and finished 8th in his 1st race to become the youngest driver to score points in F1. After Scott Speed was fired from Toro Rosso, Vettel was called up at the Hungarian Grand Prix and now had a full-time drive with the Toro Rosso team. At the Japanese Grand Prix, held in atrocious condition at Fuji Speedway Vettel was running 3rd until he crashed into the back of Mark Webber while behind the safety car and cost himself the chance to score his 1st podium. However he would put that behind him and the next race in China also in wet conditions he started 17th on the grid but finished 4th in the race which was Toro Rosso's best ever finish.

2008 was Vettel's big year as he came through and finally showed his potential. He didn't have a good start to the season, indeed he didn't finish a race until Turkey which was the 5th race. He scored his 1st points of the year at Monaco where he finished 5th in wet conditions, and followed that up with another points finish in Canada. He scored a point in his 1st home race at Hockenheim and that was the start of a great run to the end of the season. He scores points in every race until the end except Hungary and in that run came his biggest weekend in his career at the Italian Grand Prix from Monza. He became the youngest driver to claim pole-position in near monsoon conditions in qualifying and on Sunday became the youngest driver to win a Grand Prix after dominating the race also in very wet conditions, this led the German press to dub him 'Baby Schumi'. At the last race in Brazil he nearly cost Lewis Hamilton the World Championship after he overtook the Brit in the closing laps as rain began to fall, only the fact that Hamilton overtook Glock into the last corner of the last lap meant he was World Champion.

images-1.jpg

In 2009 he moved to the main Red Bull team and won their first ever race in the rain in China meaning he had won the first race for both teams run under the Red Bull name. He would win again at Silverstone in dominant fashion also in Japan and Abu Dhabi in the same style. This meant he finished 2nd to Button in the World Championship which is a great achievement considering how dominant the Brawn car, Button was driving had been. Finally this year he was dominant in the first 3 races but only scored 40 points of 75 as mechanical problems ruined 2 of those races, he did though win in Sepang, which was the 3rd race. A poor showing in the rain in China left him a long way behind in the championship but that would soon change. A 3rd and 2nd in Spain and Monaco moved him back up however a crash with team-mate Webber in Turkey put a further dent in his chances. A win in Valencia put him back on course but a puncture in Silverstone meant he finished 7th. A 2nd place at his home race would see Vettel firmly in the championship picture however with penalties at Hungary and Spa dropped him back, a good 4th in Monza however leaves Vettel 24 points behind championship leader Mark Webber, so with 5 races to go can Sebastian claw back and win his 1st world title? I for one certainly hope so.

That is a quick look into the life of Sebastian Vettel, and hopefully you now know a lot more about Germany's newest F1 superstar.

The Jenson Button Story

Jenson_Button_McLaren_2010_11_01.jpg

Jenson Button came into F1 as a budding young 20-year-old given a chance to prove his talents by the Williams team in the year 2000, 10 years on and after many years of under achieving, he is the current World Champion after making the most of the Brawn domination last year. This is the his story.

Born on January 19th 1980, Jenson is the son of rallycross driver John Button, who was famous for his Colorado Beetle in the 1970's.

Button began karting aged 8 and was very successful, in 1991 he won every single race in the British Kart cadet championship, winning the championship, He would go on to more success in the higher powered British Open karting championship which he won 3 times. In 1997 he won the Ayrton Senna memorial cup as well as anticipating a move into open wheel racing. Aged 18, Button won the British Formula Ford championship winning 9 races and won the BRDC young driver award in 1998. In 1999, Button competed in the British F3 championship finishing 3rd in the championship behind other F1 driver Luciano Burti. He also finished a very close 2nd in the Macau Grand Prix that year losing out to Darren Manning by 0.035 of a second. For the year 2000, Frank Williams gave the young Brit a chance in his Williams F1 and then his F1 career began.

In 2000 he was the young British sensation and scored his first points in only his 3rd race at the Brazilian Grand Prix and caused a stir at the Belgian Grand Prix, qualifying 3rd and finishing 5th in wet conditions. He also made a few mistakes, notably crashing into the barriers behind the safety car during the Italian Grand Prix at Monza. He was dropped however by Williams for 2001 but he would be given a drive at the Benetton team for the 2001 season, despite still being under a contract by Williams.

The season was dreadful with a slow car, Button under achieved and his best finish was 5th and Hockenheim, people began to question his credentials and many had noted his lifestyle, which was very extravagant and many dubbed him a 'playboy'. In 2002 Benetton was bought by Renault and Button had more success narrowly missing out on podiums in Malaysia and Brazil, and he finished 7th in the championship. However he was dropped again by Renault and replaced by Fernando Alonso, so Jenson this time moved on to the BAR team for 2003.

A quiet year in 2003 led to his breakthrough in 2004, as BAR gave him a very competitive car. He gained his 1st podium in Malaysia and would have 9 more throughout the season. He claimed his 1st pole at the San Marino Grand Prix at Imola but would finish 3rd, and that was also his championship position as he was best of the rest behind the 2 Ferrari's. In 2005 a poor year would see his BAR team banned for 2 races for a technical infringement, as the year progressed he would improve slightly and achieved a podium finish at the German Grand Prix at Hockenheim.

For 2006 BAR were bought out by Honda, and he had a slow start to the season, however at the Hungarian Grand he qualified 14th after a 10 place grid drop for an engine change, but in wet conditions he would benefit from a crazy race and win his 1st Grand Prix in 113 starts prompting big celebrations in the team, he would then go on to be the most successful driver in the final races of the season scoring 35 points. That would be a high point because in 2007 and 2007 Honda produced 2 poor cars, and left Jenson and team-mate Rubens Barrichello battling towards the back of the grid. The best result Button achieved in these 2 years was 6th at the 2008 Spanish Grand Prix.

In 2009 the unthinkable happened, Ross Brawn bought the team only because he knew Honda had been working on that year's design for longer than any other team, and with the new design changes for 2009 he knew the car would be ahead of its rivals. He was proved right as Jenson won 6 of the first 7 races and was way ahead of his rivals heading into the 2nd half of the season. However as rivals caught up development the Brawn dominance began to slide and Jenson began to struggle for good points. He had a poor British Grand Prix finishing outside the points for the first time, and would retire from his 1st race in the Belgian Grand Prix after a crash on the 1st lap. However as the season entered its closing stages Button still had a decent lead in the championship and when his rivals had a poor weekend at the Brazilian Grand Prix, Button capitalised with a great drive overtaking many cars and finishing 5th in the race after starting 15th and won his first world championship. The champion then ended the season with a podium at the inaugural Abu Dhabi Grand Prix at the Yas Marina circuit.

For the 2010 season he joined Mclaren. Many thought this would be a catastrophic decision as he would be paired with fellow Brit Lewis Hamilton, many thought Lewis had more talent and has been with Mclaren for years and years. However the decision has been proved the correct one as his Brawn team changed to Mercedes they have had a poor season and are currently battling with Renault for 4th in the constructor's championship, meanwhile at Mclaren, Jenson enjoyed early success winning the Australian and Chinese Grand Prix's both interrupted by the weather. In recent races Hamilton has had the upper hand over Jenson but he is still in with a chance of retaining the title with 5 races to go.

A career spanning 20 years has seen Jenson Button go through many highs and lows and as he enters his 2nd decade in F1 as world champion many wouldn't put it past him to do it again in the future.

The Felipe Massa Story

Felipe_Massa_456789h.jpg

The next driver in the spotlight in the series of driver profiles is Felipe Massa. The Brazilian has had a successful career and is well-known for his time alongside Michael Schumacher towards the end of the German’s career. He also pushed Lewis Hamilton all the way in 2008 and many say he was unlucky not to be world champion. This is how Felipe Massa made it to the top of Formula 1.

Born on the 25th April 1981, Felipe Massa grew up just the other side of the wall from the famous Interlagos circuit in Sao Paulo, his grandfather however emigrated from Italy so Massa has Italian roots. He began karting aged 8 and won several national and international championships before moving to Formula Chevrolet in 1998. He finished 5th in the Brazilian championship and in 1999 won the title by winning 3 of the 10 races. In 2000 he moved to Europe and raced in the Italian Formula Renault championship winning both that title and the European title as well. He could have moved to F3 but chose European F3000 winning 6 of the 8 races and winning the championship in 2001. He was offered a test at Sauber for 2002, which would earn him the seat.

In 2002 he would score 4 championship points his best result being 5th at the Spanish Grand Prix, however he earned a reputation for making mistakes and he was dropped from Sauber for 2003, Massa would go to Ferrari to gain experience as a tester for a big team. He was called back up to Sauber for the 2004 season and would score 12 points with a best result of 4th at Spa and would keep his seat for 2005. Another steady season saw him score 11 points but he outpaced team-mate Jacques Villeneuve and that earned him the 2nd race seat at Ferrari for the 2006 season.

800px-felipe_massa_ferrari_during_bahrain_2010_gp.jpg

In his 1st season at Ferrari he would always play 2nd fiddle to Michael Schumacher however after a slow start he would take his first pole and win at the Turkish Grand Prix a track he made his own winning the race there for the next 2 years. He would become the first Brazilian to win in Brazil since Ayrton Senna in 1993 at Interlagos in 2006 and would win again in 2008 in his bid to win the title. Felipe would finish 3rd in his 1st season at Ferrari scoring 80 points. In 2007 he was expected to be the lead driver at Ferrari after Schumacher’s retirement but he was joined by Finn Kimi Raikkonen.

Raikkonen would be formidable competition and while he went on to win the title in his 1st season at the team. Massa would have a good season however taking wins in Spain and Bahrain. After victory in Turkey, Massa would blow hot and cold and while he was winning the Brazilian Grand Prix again he was forced to allow his team-mate through to win the race. This gave Kimi the championship in the battle between him and the 2 Mclaren’s of Alonso and Hamilton. In 2008 the tables would turn and Raikkonen would end up playing 2nd fiddle to Massa in a season that brought out the best in the young Brazilian.

In a thrilling championship against Lewis Hamilton, Massa would win in Bahrain after a bad opening 2 races, and again in Turkey and France after Raikkonen suffered an exhaust problem. Felipe was the only driver to win his 100th Grand Prix with a controversial win at the European Grand Prix at Valencia, and again won controversially at the Belgian Grand Prix after Hamilton was disqualified post race for overtaking Raikkonen by cutting a chicane. In the final race in Brazil he had to win and hope Hamilton finished lower than 5th to become world champion, he indeed won the race in dominant fashion in all-weather and when he crossed the finish line Hamilton was 6th so Massa would have won the title, but when Hamilton overtook Glock in the last corner of the last lap he would have to settle for 2nd in the championship only 1 point behind Hamilton.

The long 2008 campaign meant Ferrari were behind in development for the new rules in 2009 and this showed as Massa only finished 11th in the standing with 22 points. In Hungary that year Massa suffered a massive accident in qualifying for the Hungarian Grand Prix, when a spring from the Brawn of Rubens Barrichello knocked Massa unconscious and he plowed into the tyre wall at 180mph (300kph). many thought that could have killed the Brazilian as he had serious head injuries however he survived and was back behind the wheel of a racing car in preparation for the 2010 season. However in 2010 he has been outclassed by his new team-mate Fernando Alonso, Massa is currently in 6th place battling with the Mercedes of Rosberg and the Renault of Kubica for the ‘best of the rest’ tag behind the top 5 in the driver’s championship.

So that is the career of Felipe Massa, full of twists and turns and while Felipe has managed to shrug off his reputation for crashing, he has grown to be one of the best drivers in the sport today. Nobody knows what the future holds for Massa as many feel that 2008 was his best chance to win a world championship but if he can recapture the form that he had in 2008 he may well be a threat in 2011.

Newey's X1 Prototype - F1 car of the future?

prototype1.png

The Formula One car of the future? Not quite... sadly.

This amazing concept, named the X1 Prototype, will feature in the upcoming Gran Turismo 5 (GT5) Playstation 3 game to be launched later this year (if it isn't delayed further).

Adrian Newey, the man behind the current championship leading F1 car, the RB6, was approached by Polyphony to design the ultimate racing car if regulations didn't exist.

It's reported that Sebastian Vettel drove the car in the game and immediately set a lap-time over 20 seconds quicker than that of the current F1 lap record - impressive!

red-bull-x1-prototype-side.jpg

red-bull-x1-prototype-front.jpg

red-bull-x1-prototype-rear.jpg

'Senna to replace Trulli at Lotus'

Bruno-Senna_2464261.jpg

Bruno Senna is reportedly set to move to Lotus next season with talks already "well advanced."

Senna, who entered F1 this season with Hispania Racing, has not had the best of debuts, although that's largely down to the team's inability and not his own.

The Brazilian, however, could be in for a better campaign next year with reports from his native Brazil claiming he will switch to Lotus, the best of the 2010 newcomers.

According to Globo Esporte, sources close to Senna, the nephew of the late Ayrton Senna, insist that "talks are already well advanced."

The report went on to say that Senna would replace Jarno Trulli, partnering Heikki Kovalainen in Lotus's second season in F1.

D'Ambrosio closes in on Virgin race-seat

Jerome-DAmbrosio_2505304.jpg

Jerome d'Ambrosio is on the verge of securing a 2011 race-seat with Virgin Racing, according to his manager Eric Boullier.

D'Ambrosio joined Virgin Racing ahead of the Singapore GP, taking part in Friday practice sessions, allowing the team to evaluate the 25-year-old Belgian.

However, speed is clearly not the only criteria in landing a Virgin race-seat as Boullier, who is in charge of both the Renault F1 team and Genii Capital's driver management arm Gravity, revealed that sponsorship deals are also playing a role.

But, with the majority of the 'package' already in place, he hopes to have Virgin's signature on a race deal for d'Ambrosio before the season ends in Abu Dhabi.

"Almost 95 percent of the package needed to bring Jérôme D'Ambrosio into Formula One is there," Boullier told the Het Nieuwsblad newspaper.

"The remaining five percent we will have in a matter of days. Then we will go to Virgin, the team who gave us a concrete proposal for 2011 and with whom Jerome has already taken part in free practices in the last three races.

"Virgin - and their sponsors - want to know as soon as possible where they stand for next year."

He added: "I would love to have a signed contract in his pocket by the last race in Abu Dhabi."

Sauber chasing third successive double

James-Key-2_2448989.jpg

Sauber are determined to continue their double points-scoring run when they head to Brazil this weekend.

Kamui Kobayashi and Nick Heidfeld both finished inside the top ten in Japan, only the second time this season that the team had brought both cars home in the points.

The duo followed that up with another double points-haul in Korea, closing the gap to Williams to just 22 points.

And although that deficit may be a step too far, the team is determined to end a third successive grand prix with both cars bringing home points.

"It is good to go back to Interlagos," said tech director James Key. "The track is an interesting one with several overtaking opportunities, so potentially making the race an exciting one.

"Our intention will be to maximise our points in the best way possible, and try to continue the trend of the last few races.

"The C29 will be the same specification it has been in previous events, but we obviously have several set-up options to consider. One of these is the downforce level.

"In Interlagos you either gain on the straights or in the corners of the windy infield section, so we will have to strike the right compromise.

"Because of this we will have to watch our top speeds, but also the balance and grip level of the car in the second part of the lap. Our car's strength should be to deal with the front tyre wear.

"Regarding the mechanical set-up, we will have to consider the track's bumpy surface and also watch for a change of direction and good front-end grip, with traction being important at the end of the lap into the uphill section."

Sutil denies coveting Schumi's Merc seat

Adrian-Sutil_2462772.jpg

Adrian Sutil says there is "no truth" to rumours that he will replace Michael Schumacher at Mercedes GP next season.

Although both Schumacher and Mercedes GP have insisted that the German will stay on next season, rumours of his pending re-retirement continue.

One driver who has been linked to Schumacher's race-seat is Sutil with the Force India driver interested in moving onto bigger and better.

However, that bigger and better will not be a Mercedes GP race-seat.

"No, there is no truth in that," Sutil told the Daily Mail.

"Michael is going to stay there for another year at least, and I think he has a three-year contract, so that is how it is.

"Of course it would be great to drive for Mercedes in the future, but I think now is just too early, and they are just rumours."

As for his thoughts on the seven-time World Champ's comeback season, Sutil reckons Schumacher is doing an admirable job in difficult conditions.

"People expect him to be there where he ended three years ago, but that's not how Formula One is. It has changed and it is never easy to come back after three years.

"It's not a winning car at the moment. You can make a reference to his team-mate. He's close and is getting better, so I suppose you could say it's probably not been a bad comeback."

Asked about his own future, Sutil, who has also been linked to a move to Williams, admitted he's hoping to make an announcement within the next month.

"I'm not sure at the moment, but it should happen pretty soon," he said. "I just want to make sure to do the right thing, but I can't say where I am going to be. It is too early for that.

"I was planning to make a decision four weeks ago, but it is difficult. Everyone is waiting, so I will try to make it as quick as possible."

New engine for Barrichello in Brazil

Rubens-Barrichello_2517839.jpg

Rubens Barrichello will race at this weekend's Brazilian Grand Prix with a new engine.

The Brazilian is eagerly awaiting the opportunity to put in a strong showing at his home grand prix and knows that finding the right set-up will be crucial to his chances of doing well.

"The Williams tends to suit Brazil, and I have a new engine for this race," explained Barrichello.

"Achieving a good set-up and qualifying result is important, but it's not always easy to set the car up - you need strong traction and balance."

The 38-year-old is confident that the Interlagos circuit will facilitate an interesting penultimate race of the season.

"The track has a great layout. In my opinion, the double right hander of Turns 6 and 7 is one of the best corners in the world.

"There are places to overtake around Interlagos, while there's always a chance of rain to make things interesting," he added.

Ecclestone hits out at F1's 'cripples'

Bernie-Ecclestone_2481604.jpg

Not one to mind his words, Bernie Ecclestone has slammed F1's new teams, branding them 'embarrassing cripples.'

This year's Championship saw three new teams enter Formula One; Lotus Racing, Virgin Racing and Hispania. However, 17 races later, F1 is still waiting for any of the three to score a World Championship point.

Lotus have come the closest when Heikki Kovalainen claimed 12th place in the Japanese Grand Prix, ensuring his team is currently holding onto 10th place in the Constructors' Championship.

But with very little sign that any of the three may score before the season is over, F1 supremo Ecclestone has hit out at the newcomers.

"They do nothing for us, they are an embarrassment," he told the Financial Times. "We need to get rid of a few of those cripples."

However, it appears his attack may be aimed more at Hispania Racing than their fellow newcomers as Ecclestone added that Lotus would be worth keeping while Sir Richard Branson should invest more to assist Virgin.

"Richard should put some money in there shouldn't he? He could do what (Red Bull founder Dietrich Mateschitz) has done and put some money in."

MIKA: Hmm.... Who accepted these 'Cripples' into F1 in the first place!? :clap: I agree though, HRT need to go.

Heikki: Briatore didn't block my career

Heikki-Kovalainen_2513155.jpg

Heikki Kovalainen has rubbished reports emanating from Finland that his former manager, Flavio Briatore, twice prevented him from joining F1.

The reports claim that Kovalainen had an opportunity to first drive for Minardi and then with Williams in 2005 and 2006 but that Briatore blocked him from joining either team.

The Finn performed the role of Renault test driver from 2004 to 2006, first on a part-time basis before he was promoted to the team's primary tester after which he eventually made his Formula One debut for Renault in 2007.

While Kovalainen is no longer represented by Briatore, he has dismissed reports that the Italian stymied his introduction to the sport.

"News about my management blocking my career so not true," the 29-year-old wrote on his Twitter page.

"We had clear plan since I joined Renault junior program and stuck to it 100%. Ignore the false headlines originated from Finland," he added.

Kovalainen spent one season in a Renault race-seat before joining McLaren for two seasons. He departed the British team at the end of last year to join Lotus.

HRT to use Williams' gearboxes in 2011

Colin-Kolles_2423053.jpg

Williams have confirmed that they will supply the Hispania Racing Team with gearboxes next season.

The decision sees Hispania end their agreement with current suppliers Xtrac, in favour of joining forces with the British outfit. Both Williams and Hispania currently run on Cosworth engines.

"This is a logical partnership given Williams and Hispania's mutual relationship with Cosworth," explained Williams' CEO Alex Burns.

"Our gearbox technology has consistently proven itself as both competitive and reliable, and hence this agreement will be a positive development for both organisations."

Burns' excitement with the deal was echoed by HRT team principal Colin Kolles.

"This technical partnership is a significant step forward for Hispania Racing HRT F1 Team to improve its performance," said Kolles.

"We are very happy to do this with an engineering company and race team like Williams F1 which has an impressive track record and astonishing heritage," he added.