FORMULA 1 - 2010

Former Telefonica CEO joins Hispania

Hispania_HRT_Bruno_Senna_Bahrain_2010_01.jpg

Hispania have secured the services of Spanish businessman Juan Villalonga, the ex-Telefonica CEO.

Villalonga was responsible for bringing the mobile telecommunications giant into Formula One sponsorship, having partnered with Minardi, Renault, McLaren and through its O2 subsidiary, BMW-Sauber.

HRT owner Jose Ramon Carabante says the arrival of Villalonga will 'substantially strengthen' Hispania's ability to generate sponsorship income.

"He has always felt, as I do, a clear passion for motorsport," said Carabante.

"We will substantially strengthen our ability to generate innovative activities in marketing and sponsorship with his incorporation.

"We will also be able to make the best of his leadership, knowledge and relationships in the fields of technology and communications, and therefore be able to fully exploit the opportunities we are given after this tough first year."

Villalonga added: "Formula One is always associated with innovation, research and technology, and Hispania Racing must be represented on that level, with a stable leadership".

Aware of the huge investments required to have a competitive team, Villalonga stressed that for him, "the key is the quality and not the quantity of sponsors", and that his immediate goal is to help "develop new relationships with them, leading to the creation of more value for all implicated parties".

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Philips announce end to Williams sponsorship

Williams_FW32_testing_2010_02.jpg

Williams are set to lose yet another sponsor at the end of the current season which will come as a massive blow to the British team.

Their financial future was dealt a blow in 2009 when one of their largest sponsors, Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS), announced it would cease sponsorship at the end of 2010.

Now Philips, the Dutch electronics giant, have announced they will follow RBS out of F1 when the 2010 season draws to a close.

Philips global sponsorship manager, Patrick Overwijk, told Formule.nl that he and Philips are pleased with the partnership, but the decision to 'pursue different avenues of sponsorship' has been taken.

"We are pleased with our partnership with Williams," said Overwijk. "The reason we will cease sponsorship has nothing to do with Williams.

"Philips has for now decided to withdraw from Formula 1 to pursue a different avenue of sponsorship."

The company has been with the team for the past five-years and, in conjunction with the loss of RBS and the rumoured loss of AirAsia too, the Williams outfit will be in dire need of new sponsors to fill the gap.

Sutil unimpressed with team-mate Liuzzi

59406_2.jpg

Adrian Sutil hit out at Force India team-mate Tonio Liuzzi for the way the Italian swung back on the track in front of him after a spin during a miserable qualifying session for the team in Brazil.

The stable-mates were battling each other in Q1 to avoid being the one driver from an established team to drop out at the first stage when, with the pair running in close company on track, Liuzzi lost the back end of his car coming round the downhill Mergulho corner and slid into the run-off area.

After collecting his car up, Liuzzi returned to the track on the racing line just as Sutil was coming round the corner which forced the sister Force India to slow up dramatically to avoid slamming into the back of him.

Sutil was the one who eventually missed the cut for the second stage and afterwards expressed his bafflement at his team-mate’s driving – claiming that it had not been the first time.

“It was too close for team-mates,” he told the BBC.

“I don’t know what’s wrong with him, but he did it several times in this year.

“I think he’s just a little bit over the pace.”

The German driver’s first Q1 elimination since last year’s season finale in Abu Dhabi was compounded by the fact he was already facing a five-place grid penalty following his wayward driving in Korea, a demotion that now leaves him on the back row of the grid.

He says a chronic lack of grip in the damp conditions had been the team’s problem.

“The tyres are just not working at all,” Sutil bemoaned.

“We got graining very quickly and the general balance is just not good. It’s just very low grip and oversteering quite a lot.

“Last year [he was] on P3 and now on P18 – it shows how quick it goes.”

In the team’s later post-qualifying press release neither driver made reference to their Q1 near-miss, with Liuzzi – who was the slowest runner by nearly 0.4s in Q2 and will start 16th on the grid – instead saying that the team’s struggles with grip had come out of the blue.

“It was a strange session as we were really positive about the car in the morning and everything was working very well,” he said.

“The car seemed balanced and we didn't change very much from FP3 to qualifying as we were pretty confident we could be very close to Q3.

“But then in the afternoon the car seemed to lose grip and we were really struggling in braking, particularly in sector two where the car was sliding all over the track.

“We tried but in the end we couldn't get higher than P17. But we are fighters, and we just come back stronger when things are hard.”

Schu disappointed to end up eighth

59389_2.jpg

Michael Schumacher was less than satisfied with eighth on the grid at Interlagos after a potential top-five starting berth appeared to be on the cards until the last part of Q3.

The seven-time world champion was fifth fastest in Q2 and second in the early stages of the pole shootout, but dropped down the timing charts after the field switched to slick tyres.

Schumacher admitted it was a missed opportunity, but said his tyre temperature had dropped too low to offer optimal grip.

“I am somewhat disappointed as the circumstances today were exactly as I had wished them to be,” he said.

“I really hoped for more from qualifying but it didn't turn out right for us.

“I couldn't have gone any quicker on my lap and there were no issues so the only explanation is that my tyres cooled down at the beginning when I had to leave the racing line to let Sebastian and Mark past.

“It's a shame that it didn't work out better today.”

Team-mate Nico Rosberg was even more frustrated after traffic sealed his exit from Q2, leaving him 13th on the grid.

“We were on for a good result in qualifying today but on the drying track, the intermediate tyres were only good for one fast lap and I was blocked by [sebastien] Buemi on my lap in Q2,” he reported.

“So that was it for me and it's disappointing to qualify so far down the field when we could have taken advantage of the conditions.”

Team principal Ross Brawn echoed his drivers’ explanations.

“Nico was baulked on his crucial lap which meant he missed out Q3,” he said.

“If you look at the sector times, he should easily have made it.

“With Michael, we didn't quite get the dry tyres into their working range at the end of Q3.

“He got caught up with other cars coming through, had to go off-line where the track was still damp, and therefore the temperatures weren't there when he had to push.

“So it didn't quite work out as we planned today but there is still a lot to be gained tomorrow.

“We are in reasonable positions with a ringside seat for the championship race ahead and will be ready to take advantage where we can.”

MIKA: Goes to show how all the cars have different set ups and how differently they perform. Slicks worked well for Hulkenberg whereas the slicks for MS did not.

Vettel won't mind Alonso going up in smoke

Sebastian-Vettel-celeb-Brazilian-Grand-Prix_2524466.jpg

Sebastian Vettel is optimistic about his chances of securing a maiden F1 title in Abu Dhabi after closing the gap to Fernando Alonso in Brazil.

Vettel clinched the victory in Brazil on Sunday afternoon, dominating from start to finish after overtaking pole-sitter Nico Hulkenberg on the opening lap.

From there the only challenge from his team-mate Mark Webber, however, the Aussie was never closer than two seconds behind the German.

The 25 points earned through his victory have pushed Vettel up to third in the Drivers' Championship and he now trails Alonso by 15 and Webber by seven with 25 still to play for.

"I think so," he said when asked if he could win the title next Sunday in the season finale in Abu Dhabi. "If it was 26 it would be impossible, but 16 is possible."

He added: "I don't wish anything bad for him (Alonso) but I wouldn't be sad to see some Ferrari smoke.

"We're still fighting for the Drivers' Championship but obviously we want to get rid of this guy."

As for his latest victory, his fourth of the season, Vettel declared it to be an "incredible" day, especially as Red Bull's 1-2 ensured the team won the Constructors' Championship title.

"An incredible day and I am feeling very proud now for the team," he said.

"It was not easy, but once I took the lead I could control the race and look after my tyres for those final laps after the Safety Car.

"To get the whole team here, a 1-2 and get the Constructors' one race before the end is fantastic.

"They (the Red Bull team personnel) were obviously here before I started in Formula 1 but I'm very proud of it, I would say a fantastic day."

Hulkenberg 'happy' despite short-lived glory

Nico-Hulkenberg_2524615.jpg

Nico Hulkenberg's moment of glory was over just a few hundred meters into the Brazilian Grand Prix on Sunday.

Hulkenberg surprised everyone to win pole position with Williams on Saturday, but he was overtaken at the first corner by the Red Bull of Sebastian Vettel.

Mark Webber, in the other Red Bull, also got past the 23-year-old German rookie on the first lap, and Alonso got through on Lap 7.

Hulkenberg pitted early and was 13th when he got back on the track, eventually moving up to eighth place.

"I am happy with that result because I gave it everything," Hulkenberg said.

"There wasn't anything left in me to give. I was struggling quite a lot with the car, it really wasn't easy to drive."

He said he was already expecting a difficult race despite the nearly perfect run in qualifying.

"We just needed some more car pace," he said. "Even though we started on pole, my expectations for the race were to finish between fifth and 10th, so (eighth) is fine and it means we are now sixth in the Constructors' Championship."

Hulkenberg's team-mate, Rubens Barrichello finished 14th in front of his home crowd at Interlagos.

Horner: Teams' title is unbelievable

Christian-Horner-Red-Bull_2515017.jpg

Red Bull team boss Christian Horner has hailed his team's rise from party kings to Constructors' Champions in six seasons as "unbelievable".

A one-two finish in the Brazilian Grand Prix, with Sebastian Vettel leading home Mark Webber, guaranteed Red Bull a remarkable triumph.

It was the team's eighth race win and fourth one-two finish of the year, ensuring they have comfortably beaten far more established rivals in McLaren and Ferrari.

Horner, who has been at the helm of a team previously viewed as fun loving and anything but serious since their inception in 2005, was in no doubt they have deserved such success.

"What has happened is unbelievable," said Horner, his shirt drenched in champagne as the real party had already started.

"To see the joy on the faces of so many guys, who have put so much time in, with the all-nighters and all the hours and hours of work, not just here but back in Milton Keynes, is fantastic.

"Given what has gone into this year, I don't think there is a more dedicated and committed team in the pit lane.

"To have achieved what we have is very much a dream come true, an unbelievable result.

"In six years this team came from one that nobody really considered seriously and perhaps thought was a party team into World Champions.

"Admittedly as soon as we joined F1 we brought a new energy and went about things differently and the way we were involved in F1.

"But it didn't mean we were any less serious or committed than any other team - we were just different.

"Yet thanks to the tremendous dedication of all the team, with the vision and unfaltering commitment from (owner) Dietrich Mateschitz, it is a very proud day for everyone in the team.

"To have won the Formula One Constructors' World Championship, and to have done it in such dominant fashion, is very special."

Yet with Vettel and Webber still fighting for the Drivers' title, Horner knows the team's work is far from over.

"We will enjoy tonight and then Abu Dhabi starts tomorrow," added Horner.

"We go there with the constructors' championship secure, with two drivers still in this world championship as genuine contenders.

"We are determined to try and finish the season on an absolute high, and although we know it is going to be tough next weekend, we will still believe it is achievable."

Button: I won in Brazil, I lost in Brazil

106611459_2524502.jpg

Jenson Button may have lost his Drivers' title in Brazil, however, the Brit reckons it's been a "pretty good" first season with McLaren.

Last season, driving for Brawn GP, Button tasted ultimate success when he won the Drivers' Championship by finishing fifth in Brazil.

12 months later, the Brit again brought his car, this time a McLaren, home in fifth place at the Interlagos circuit.

However, instead of celebrating a World title, he was lamenting the loss of one as he dropped 47 points behind Championship leader Fernando Alonso with one race remaining.

"I'm out of it now," he said, "so I'll treat the final race much as I treated this one: I'll just have fun and try to enjoy it.

"I won the Drivers' World Championship in Brazil last year, and I lost it here this year. But, all in all, it's been a pretty good season.

"It was a learning year, and good practice for next year: I firmly believe we can really build on this for the 2011 season.

"McLaren is a really strong team - in fact I don't think there's any team stronger than us."

But while Button is out of the running for the Championship, his team-mate Lewis Hamilton's hopes are hanging by a thread as he is 24 points off the pace.

Button, though, concedes his team-mate is going to need his rivals to suffer a disaster in order for Hamilton to win it.

"Lewis can still win the Drivers' World Championship - but the top three drivers will have to fare badly for it to happen, so I guess it'll be difficult for him."

Alonso expects stressful final weekend

Fernando-Alonso_2524480.jpg

Although Fernando Alonso will take an eight-point lead into the final race of the season, he expects the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix to be a tense affair.

The Spaniard started the penultimate race of the season 11 points ahead of Mark Webber, but his lead has been narrowed after a Red Bull 1-2 at Interlagos.

Two-time World Champion Alonso has already done the mathematics for the final race in the Middle East next weekend.

"I need second place if Mark wins to be Champion, a fifth if Seb wins so we see what happens," said Alonso.

"We saw today very easily how things can change, with safety cars, some things change and others not. If you make the wrong decision at the wrong moment you can be eighth or ninth and the title can be over.

"It is going to be a stressful weekend for all of us, but this is F1 and anything can happen next weekend. We all start from zero and we'll see who does a better job in seven days' time."

Alonso, who started fifth on the grid behind pole sitter Nico Hulkenberg, the two Red Bulls and Lewis Hamilton, admits he lost too much time during opening laps.

"I think we lost too much ground in first laps of the race, trying to overtake Hamilton and then Hulkenberg," he said.

"Obviously we were very close on race pace with Red Bull and we had a chance when the safety car came out, but we found ourselves in the wrong position again, with seven cars between Mark and us.

"Overall I think a good race for us, overtaking Hamilton and Hulkenberg - we knew it was not an easy thing to do."

MIKA: I still stand by my past comments some weeks back: Webber will win the WDC with Alonso right behind him. (Hope I don't eat my words! ;):rolleyes: :o )

'Young pup Nico has a secure F1 future'

d10bra897_2523898.jpg

Sir Jackie Stewart reckons Williams need to re-sign Nico Hulkenberg and fast otherwise they could lose him to another team.

Although just days ago the Williams rookie's future was on the line with reports claiming he could get the boot at the end of the season, his pole position in Brazil has gone a long way towards securing his future.

In fact, Stewart, who is an ambassador for Williams' sponsor RBS, believes the biggest decision Hulkenberg now faces is which team he wants to race for next season.

"I would be very surprised if he is not taken. The biggest chance he has now is of being grabbed by a more affluent team, not the risk of not having a drive," Stewart told Autosport.

"He is never going to be without a job. I think even already this year he has proved himself.

"He has made some mistakes but that is the same as any young puppy does. Puppies, you try to train them and you think you have got them trained and then they pee on the floor again. It is a process of doing that.

"My view of it is that we have got somebody who here in Brazil has demonstrated that he has got all the skills capable of doing the job."

Sun: Red Bull, Ferrari, McLaren, Merc

Brazil-GP-Mark-Webber-Sebastian-Vettel-Fernan_2524479.jpg

Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber dominated the Brazilian GP with Fernando Alonso completing the podium ahead of the McLarens.

Red Bull:

Sebastian Vettel: "We are the 2010 Constructors' Champions! Regards to everyone here and back in Milton Keynes, it's their achievement - we are one team and they can be very, very proud of what they have accomplished today. It has been a pleasure for me so far this year to drive that car. We have had ups and downs and many have given us a hard time, sometimes right and sometimes not, but we are always on the edge trying to make the car quicker, which is so good. We are always pushing to get updates, even when they only offer a little bit extra. Everyone matters in this team and I'm proud of them and also of myself today - we had a straightforward race, no issues and we were able to control it. There are a busy few days before the next race, but I think back in Milton Keynes and here in Brazil, there will be a couple of drinks tonight."

Mark Webber: "Today is a sensational day for the team - for everyone in Milton Keynes, in Red Bull and for all our suppliers - the list goes on and on. We have won the Constructors' and done it with a dominant one-two finish after a tough weekend in Korea. So many people have worked so hard for this, Adrian Newey, Christian Horner, Peter Prodromou, Rob Marshall, the boys in the race shop, the race bays... the list is endless - they all know who they are and it's a credit to all of them. We've had everything thrown at us this year - right-height systems, flexi wings - and at the end of the day we've won, which is a very big achievement. Looking to the Drivers' Championship I took a few points off Fernando today, so it's still all to play for in Abu Dhabi. The team's philosophy is that we race and we will work to that. Seb deserved the win today - it was a close fight. Both of us need to finish ahead of Fernando in Abu Dhabi, so let's see what happens there."

Ferrari:

Fernando Alonso: "All things considered, I am pleased with this result. We have only lost three points to our closest rival and, given how things turned out yesterday in qualifying, it went well: if this morning, I had been told it would finish like this, I would have happily signed for it! I want to congratulate Red Bull and Renault for the Constructors' title: to reach the top in just a few years is a great achievement. We were very cautious in the very first corners, because everyone was very aggressive and we did not want to risk touching anyone. Then, we immediately lost too much ground to Vettel and Webber: it took me several laps to get past Hulkenberg, while passing Hamilton is never easy. My race pace was good, as we had seen on Friday. When the safety car came out, we thought it might be an opportunity to attack, but there were too many backmarkers between me and Mark and it took too long to get past them: a shame , because at that point, the car was really very competitive. Now, we go to Abu Dhabi: we know what we have to do and taking the title depends on us."

Felipe Massa: "Everything happened to me today and it is a real shame that I was unable to obtain the result that was within my grasp, even after yesterday's qualifying and by that I mean a good finish. When I went back out on track after the first stop I immediately felt that something was strange with the right front wheel and I had to come back to the pits immediately to change tyres again. From then on, my race was pretty much over. Towards the end, the Safety Car presented me with an opportunity and in fact, I managed to make up a few places. Then came the collision with Buemi which knocked me back again and, with the cars that had to lap me, several times I lost contact with the drivers I was fighting for position. When I had a clear track ahead of me, I managed to do competitive lap times, which confirms that the potential was there. I would have liked to have been fighting it out at the front here, but it wasn't possible: I will try and make up for it in Abu Dhabi at the final race. We still have a very important target to reach and we will do our utmost to succeed in that."

McLaren:

Lewis Hamilton: "I pushed as hard as I could on every lap today, but this was a tough race for me. I actually feel quite lucky to have finished where I did. The car just didn't feel like it did in practice. I was even struggling to overtake the backmarkers in a straight line - Fernando [Alonso] shot past me at the start, too - and it almost felt like my F-duct wasn't working perfectly. I'm still in the hunt for the drivers' championship, but I'm 24 points down, so I have nothing to lose now. In Abu Dhabi I'll be doing everything I can to pull off the win I need, and hoping the other guys hit problems. As always, we won't give up and we'll keep on pushing. We've seen many times before that almost anything can happen in the last race of the season. It'll take a miracle - but miracles can happen!"

Jenson Button: "I had a great race today and had a lot of fun fighting my way through the field. We finally sorted the car out for the race, I had some pretty decent race pace, I made some great passing moves, and the team made a couple of perfect calls on strategy. From where I started, I couldn't have done any better, so it feels good to have finished fifth. Lewis can still win the drivers' world championship - but the top three drivers will have to fare badly for it to happen, so I guess it'll be difficult for him. For me, I'm out of it now, so I'll treat the final race much as I treated this one: I'll just have fun and try to enjoy it. I won the drivers' world championship in Brazil last year, and I lost it here this year. But, all in all, it's been a pretty good season. It was a learning year, and good practice for next year: I firmly believe we can really build on this for the 2011 season. Vodafone McLaren Mercedes is a really strong team - in fact I don't think there's any team stronger than us."

Mercedes GP:

Nico Rosberg: "I had a strong start today and when Michael pitted ahead of me, I had clear air and was able to make up positions thanks to our good strategy. From then, it got a little chaotic but the team made a great call to get me on new rubber when the safety car came out. Unfortunately Jenson did the same and there was a lot of chaos with lapped cars so I wasn't able to make up any further positions. Michael let me past which was nice as he was on used rubber against my new tyres."

Michael Schumacher: "I had quite a good start today gaining two positions which unfortunately I lost again directly afterwards following my exit on the grass because of the fight with Robert. We then had good pace but with hindsight, my pit stop was maybe a little too early which left me stuck behind Adrian. Towards the end, I let Nico past when he was on fresh tyres as he had the better chance to fight Jenson in front of us. I look forward to Abu Dhabi now where I hope to have another encouraging race."

Sun: Williams, Renault, Sauber, STR

NicoHulkenberg_2519455.jpg

There were points in Brazil for Nico Hulkenberg, Robert Kubica and Kamui Kobayashi while Jaime Alguersuari finished P11...

Williams:

Nico Hulkenberg: "I am happy with that result because I gave it everything today; there wasn't anything left in me to give! I was struggling quite a lot with the car, it really wasn't easy to drive, but I kept Kubica behind me all the way. The team did a great pitstop and chose the right strategy; we just needed some more car pace. Even though we started on pole, my expectations for the race were to finish between fifth and tenth, so P8 is fine and it means we are now sixth in the Constructors' Championship."

Rubens Barrichello: "We had a faulty pitstop today which we need to investigate. I was happy with my pace though. Unfortunately, after one of my overtaking attempts on Alguersuari, he ran over me which destroyed my front tyre so I had to come in again. I just came in too many times to score points. I'm sorry for all the Brazilians who came here wanting a different result. All I can say is that I gave it my all until the very end."

Renault:

Robert Kubica: "It was a tough race this afternoon. I spent every lap in traffic but I didn't have enough of a performance advantage over Hülkenberg to get past: I was losing a lot of time in the low-speed corners, and I couldn't use our top speed advantage because I was stuck on the rev limiter for a long time on the main straight, so couldn't attack him. The other critical part of the race came just after my pit stop, when Hülkenberg and I were running behind my team-mate for a number of laps and we couldn't make the most of our fresh tyres, which cost me a position to Schumacher."

Vitaly Petrov: "I made a bad start and was in the middle of a big pack of cars in the first corner. I tried to give everybody space, then at turn two I took a normal line but had to take avoiding action to not hit Alguersuari and cause an accident. That put me on the kerb and I dropped to the back of the field by the time I exited turn three. After that, there was nothing I could do but try and push, do my normal race and make up positions wherever possible."

Sauber:

Kamui Kobayashi: "My result isn't great but perhaps one point is okay for today. For me the start was okay but at the beginning of my long stint with the hard tyres I suffered from a lack of grip and lost positions. Then, when the Prime tyres were getting older, I got a lot of understeer. When I was on the fresh tyres I could overtake both Toro Rosso but overtaking was not easy this time. You need good straight line speed to overtake in the first corner and I really didn't have enough of that."

Nick Heidfeld: "Finishing 17th is certainly disappointing. The race started actually quite good, I managed to overtake a few cars on the outside in lap one. Then I was in that bunch of cars behind Adrian Sutil but actually I had not quite the straight line speed to overtake. I was just outside the points when the safety car came out and so the team decided to gamble a bit and get me in for fresh tyres. However, with the drive through penalty the race was over anyway. The penalty was absolutely justified. I just didn't know that Nico (Rosberg) was lapping me. I had blue flags already when there were a couple of cars between us and when he was behind me I could not tell if they were for him. I had a lack of information, perhaps because the team hadn't the information either. I apologized to Nico straight after the race."

Toro Rosso:

Jaime Alguersuari: "I think we can be quite satisfied with today's performance as I never expected to finish as high as eleventh in the dry conditions, as we lacked some top line speed. All the same, I had some good battles. With no retirements ahead of us, finishing three places higher than I started is the best we could have expected. Now I am looking forward to our last race of the season in Abu Dhabi and we only have a few days to wait, which is nice!"

Sebastien Buemi: "You can never be really happy with a thirteenth place finish, but all the same I think we did a reasonably good job today. I made a super start and got past three cars. Then on the second lap I also managed to get by Kobayashi. I think I ran at a good pace and I managed to fight off the guys coming up behind me. Towards the end on a one stop strategy, my tyres were very worn, so I was pleased I was still able to defend my position. Not a bad afternoon."

Sun: Force India, Lotus, Virgin, Hispania

Bruno-Senna_2523789.jpg

Force India failed to shine in the Brazilian GP, finishing at the back of the pack with Lotus, Virgin and Hispania...

Force India:

Adrian Sutil: "An exciting race today and I really enjoyed it. After a reasonable start, I did the first part of the race on the harder tyres and it worked really well. I thought it would be difficult with the graining but after 20 laps the car just seemed to work better and better and I could set some competitive lap times. Then the safety car went out and we changed to the softer compound straight away. Then I tried to move up some places, but it was very hard to pass the Toro Rossos as they were unbelievably quick on the straight. I managed to pass at least Buemi and gain one position. From P22 on the grid I think P12 is very positive and I'm happy with that result and performance."

Tonio Liuzzi: "It was a good race until the accident, we were able to fight with a lot of cars. It was tough on the option tyres at the start but then in the middle part of the race I was able to put in some consistent and quick lap times. Unfortunately I had been struggling with the brakes all race and then going into the second corner something on the car let go and I couldn't turn in. The car just went straight on and into the barriers. We'll look into why this happened and make sure we understand the reasons fully. I'm OK after the accident though and am now looking forward to Abu Dhabi where I hope we can take the fight back to Williams."

Lotus:

Heikki Kovalainen: "It was a good race, probably the best we could have hoped for in the conditions today. I made a good start and passed Timo straight away which put me in a good position for the rest of the afternoon. I enjoyed it out there - I had a good battle with Jarno and Timo for quite a lot of the race, and as we neared the end Jarno was very close so I had to make sure I didn't make any mistakes and we could get both cars home. The important thing today is that we are now one race away from tenth and that will be the goal next weekend in Abu Dhabi."

Jarno Trulli: "Another very positive result for the team and I'm really happy I got to the end of the race! I had yet another small hydraulic issue, but good work from the guys in the garage managed that, and towards the end of the race I was able to push Heikki and end up just behind him. I didn't have a great start, I had a lot of wheelspin but pretty soon I was able to attack Timo and just as I was shaping up to pass him he pitted and I came out ahead of him after the stops. After that I caught up with Heikki and we then had a pretty comfortable run to the end of the race."

Virgin:

Timo Glock: "Not a very exciting race today. I had quite a good start but unfortunately Petrov had made a mistake in turn two, went wide and I had to slow down, which enabled Kovalainen to overtake me on the outside. Then I was trying to follow Kovalainen but he was quicker and we did not have the pace to match them. We were not quick enough here and so it's disappointing to finish behind them in 20th position. We changed quite early from the Option tyre to the Prime, which meant that I had to run on the Prime tyre for 53 laps. However we head straight to Abu Dhabi now and hope for better things to enable us to end the season on a high."

Lucas di Grassi: "I really enjoyed the fantastic atmosphere at Interlagos today. The Brazilian fans were incredible, the grandstands were full and it was an amazing experience. Unfortunately the race didn't go as planned. We had a mechanical problem since early in the race, which was getting worse and worse. We had to stop and investigate it because it was getting more and more difficult to drive the car. We realised though that the problem could be fixed and that is what we did, but by then my race was over and all I could do was get the car to the finish. I hope for a better race in Abu Dhabi where I will be pushing really hard to ensure we end the season well."

Hispania:

Bruno Senna: "We had a strong race today and we finished just behind the other new teams. I am very satisfied with the result I could achieve at my first Formula 1 race at home in Brazil. It was a good feeling before the race when the crowd was chanting and they gave me a lot of energy for the 71 laps. I am very thankful for the support of the fans and the team's good work. Now I am looking forward to the last race of the season in Abu Dhabi and I hope to perform well again."

Christian Klien: "Unfortunately, the car stopped on the way to the grid due to fuel pressure problems. But the mechanics did a very good job and managed to fix the car so that we could go in the race after four laps. The race was a test for us in order to gain some race kilometers. The lap times were good and we could keep up with the pace of the other new teams. Due to the problems I had at the beginning, I had more fuel in the car but I could finish the race with constant lap times. I am happy to complete a race after Singapore again and I want to thank the team for giving me this opportunity and doing a great job all over the weekend."

Peter Sauber set to retire in 2013

Peter_Sauber_2010_01.jpg

Peter Sauber has re-affirmed that he will not be a figure within the sport after his 70th birthday.

The 67-year old told Le Matin "I always said I wouldn't be on the pit wall with my headphones on at 70, I stand by that."

"I will, however, remain in the sport for the time being with an eye on stabilising the team, at least in a financial capacity."

The Swiss team boss is currently in the midst of choosing a new colour for his car for the 2011 season which see's Mexican telephone giant, Telmex, become a key sponsor of the team.

Sauber admits that things have been financially difficult this season with a severe lack of sponsors.

"I knew we wouldn't find a sponsor this year, BMW gave us a white car, but don't worry next year we will have sponsors. Without them, it wouldn't be viable."

Sauber confirms armed attack on engineers

Spa_Belgium_Sauber_Kobayashi.jpg

The dangers of racing in Brazil are clearly evident. Not only did Jenson Button suffer a nightmare journey back to his hotel, which saw six armed men attempt to hijack his Mercedes, but three Sauber mechanics were successfully robbed at gunpoint along the same stretch of road.

The Sauber outfit released a statement confirming the armed robbery, which saw five 'bandits' hold up their mini-van, finally escaping with two backpacks.

"Three Sauber Motorsport engineers were leaving the paddock on Saturday night in a mini van at around 8pm," read the statement.

"The attack happened at the traffic lights near the fuel station, not far from gate seven [on the circuit]. Nobody was injured.

"The mini van had stopped at the red light in the right hand lane. Five bandits went to the van, one of them carrying a machine gun. After they had been threatened with the gun, the engineer sitting in the passenger seat opened the car's door and the bandits took the two back packs which he had stored by his feet.

"One back pack was almost empty, but the other one contained a mobile phone, passport and other personal belongings. The team reported the incident to the police."

This is it, Webber's big chance. I know he can do it, and he bloody deserves to win the WDC. C'mon mate just one more!

Thanks again Mika for putting this thread together and maintaining it so efficiently. It has been great each week to be able to come to the F1

thread and know I'm getting all the relevant and up-to-date information. Kudos buddy, one day we'll get to have a cigar together, my shout! ;)

Thanks for all the wonderful compliments Brendan! It is an absolute pleasure to post the F1 news, not just because I love this sport but because there are so many members and guests whom I know love reading this thread too!

Thanks to all for contributing, reading and sending the many PM's encouraging me to continue.

Go Webber, hope Alonso DNF's! :tantrum:

Renault confirm changes in the pipeline

Robert-Kubica_2523793.jpg

Car manufacturer Renault insist they are in Formula One for the long haul despite plans to restructure their operations in the sport.

Fresh doubts were raised over the French marque's future after it emerged that they are in talks with Group Lotus about a possible collaboration. There have also been talk that Genii Capital could buy the remaining shares in the team.

Renault CEO Carlos Ghosn refused to give away much detail about a possible buyout, but admits changes are in the pipeline.

"I'm not going to give direct reports of discussions which we've had or haven't had," he said.

"Everything concerning the financial situation of this team or that team is tactical. We are not in Formula 1 to own a particular team; we are in Formula 1 to promote the Renault name and promote Renault technology.

"We will do whatever is necessary to do so at a lower cost and with less investment. We are not going to put more resources than necessary into achieving that aim."

The French manufacturer last week announced a double coup by agreeing to supply engines to Red Bull and Lotus Racing for the next two season which goes hand-in-hand with the company's plans to expand.

"What I can tell you is that Renault will be associated with this team, whatever happens: associated in connection with the supply of engines and chassis, and with the technology around the chassis," said Ghosn.

"Aside from this, there may be financial agreements, marketing agreements to suit our interests. There may be more developments, but for the moment, there is nothing. What I can tell you is that we will be, more and more, technology suppliers to many teams involved in Formula 1."

Ghosn also refused to throw water on reports that the F1 outfit could race under the Lotus-Renault banner in 2011.

"Name changes, they are everywhere," he added. "What is key is to keep the name Renault.

"Under the auspices of the Renault F1 Team, yes, we can have other associated names. But it should be noted that, as part of Red Bull, you now have Red Bull Renault.

"The name Renault might appear in a few more teams because we do not want to give the impression that we are exclusive to one team.

"We are currently developing our technology with a number of teams."

Button: Team orders could blemish Alonso title

d10bra1134_2524330.jpg

Jenson Button is beyond caring who inherits his Formula One world title, although fears Fernando Alonso prospering from the furore over team orders earlier this year.

Button relinquished his crown on Sunday, his reign effectively over after finishing fifth in the Brazilian Grand Prix as the miracle he needed failed to materialise.

Standing 47 points adrift, all Button can do now is look on as four other drivers fight it out for motor sport's biggest prize ahead of Sunday's climax in Abu Dhabi.

Ferrari's Fernando Alonso leads by eight and 15 points respectively over Red Bull duo Mark Webber and Sebastian Vettel, whilst Button's McLaren team-mate Lewis Hamilton is a forlorn 24 points down.

Although it is the first time in Formula One history four drivers have had a shot of being Champion going into the final race, only three are realistically in contention.

Button, though, is now indifferent to it all as he said: "I don't care.

"(Jaime) Alguersuari, maybe him, or (Kamui) Kobayashi, he's great fun to watch.

"To be honest it really doesn't make any difference to me.

"All I'll say is that it is exciting there are three guys fighting it out for the Championship at the last race.

"I know Lewis still has an opportunity, but it's going to be very tough for him now."

But as a staunch critic of team orders, the one scenario Button is dreading unfolding concerns Alonso taking the title by seven points or less.

Those seven points are the additional ones Alonso collected for his race win in Germany after team-mate Felipe Massa allowed him by via coded messages, with the team fined £100,000 for flouting the rules.

Pushed as to his personal preference, who he felt deserved it, a dismissive Button added: "I wouldn't pick any of them.

"It is whoever wins it deserves it, but I don't know who it will be because it is very close. Looking at it you would say it is between Mark and Fernando.

"Fernando is an exceptional driver, but some will be disappointed with what happened at Hockenheim and question whether he deserves it or not.

"I don't know. He is a World Champion, so we will have to wait and see what happens - but I just hope he wins it by more than seven points."

Unlike Ferrari's hand they showed early on, McLaren and Red Bull have refused to play their game and instead allowed their drivers to race.

After Red Bull clinched the constructors' championship on Sunday, boss Christian Horner again insisted there will be no team orders in Abu Dhabi, instead putting the onus on his drivers to resolve and potential scenarios between themselves.

Button firmly sides with Horner on the issue, believing that is the way to go in motor racing.

"I have to say congratulations to Red Bull for clinching the Constructors, although I'm surprised they didn't do it a lot earlier," said Button.

"But I like the way Red Bull have let their drivers fight. That is the way it should be.

"You fight all the way through your career to get into Formula One, to get into a good car, to win races.

"If you still have a chance of winning the World Championship then you should be given equal opportunities, and it is good to see that they have that. It is important."

Domenicali: It could go down to last metre

d10ger1768_2480939.jpg

Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali believes this season's Formula One World title could yet be decided "in the last metre".

Fernando Alonso still has a third Championship in his sights going into Sunday's decider in Abu Dhabi, although he faces a two-pronged assault from Red Bull duo Mark Webber and Sebastian Vettel.

Alonso is currently eight points clear of Webber and 15 ahead of Vettel, and although there are various permutations as to how it could all unfold, the task for the Spaniard is simple - win or finish second and he is the Champion.

"We said the Drivers' title would go down to the final race and we will now arrive in Abu Dhabi with Fernando currently heading the classification," said Domenicali.

"We now face a crucial week. We know what we have to do and we will prepare everything with maximum attention to detail.

"Each one of us knows we have to give 100% at our specific tasks, and maybe even a little bit more.

"But it's great we are going to Abu Dhabi to fight with Red Bull for the title, and we don't have to make a very difficult calculation.

"We know if we are in the middle of the two Red Bulls, it's fine.

"We need to make sure we are fast, that we do a perfect qualifying which is very important, fundamental.

"Then in the race we will need to wait up to the last metre because reliability is a big point and everyone will be worried about not only engines, but everything."

Another concern for Domenicali is that both Red Bulls are still in the hunt, and in particular they may yet work in tandem to deny Alonso.

There is the prospect that if Vettel cannot win the title, then he could assist Webber, a possibility hinted at by the young German following his Brazilian Grand Prix victory on Sunday.

Expressing his concerns, Domenicali added: "It's a problem because there are two Red Bulls instead of one.

"They're in a better position, but we know we need to look inside, we don't need to look at what the others will do.

"We simply need to do the fastest qualifying, the best race, the fastest race.

"Of course, we will try to win because if we do that then it's easy and there are no calculations.

"But we know the Red Bull is very strong, and they deserve their victory in the Constructors' Championship.

"So whoever wins the title, they will deserve it that's for sure."

'We didn't develop MP4-25 quickly enough'

McLaren-garage_2440017.jpg

McLaren may refuse to concede that they are out of the title race, but at least they have admitted that they made a "few mistakes" and didnt' develop the MP4-25 quickly enough this year.

Hamilton finds himself 24 points behind Championship pacesetter Fernando Alonso with just the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix remaining on the 2010 calender.

The 2008 Champion enjoyed a healthy lead at the top of the standings at one stage during the season, but a series of errors saw him slip to down the pecking order.

McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh admits mistakes and a failure to develop their car quickly enough cost them dearly.

"You have to keep developing your car, you have to keep making it go quicker and you have to not make mistakes," he told Autosport.

"We have had a few mistakes and we have not developed the car quickly enough. But we will keep pushing and we will see what we can do at the next race.

"We have won Championships, we know what it takes and this year, Ferrari have had a fantastic second half to the season as well, so it has been three great teams fighting it out."

Despite Hamilton's fears that it would take a "miracle" to win the title, Whitmarsh believes it only takes one or two mistakes from the other contenders.

"Drivers and cars not finishing races are not miracles, they happen quite frequently in motor racing, so we will see," he said.

"At the moment if Lewis wins and Fernando doesn't finish, and there are not many points scored by the other boys then he wins. There is a tense Championship fight going on at the moment.

"It is fantastic for F1 that we are going to the last round and four drivers could potentially come out of it as World Champion. You have to say at the moment that Fernando looks very strong but we have seen things go wrong in the last minute in Championships ourselves.

"Sometimes it has been against us, sometimes in our favour - you just have to keep pushing and anything can happen. That is the nature of motor racing."

'We don't manipulate things like Ferrari'

Dietrich-Mateschitz_2479235.jpg

Red Bull owner Dietrich Mateschitz has remarkably revealed he would rather miss out on the Formula One Drivers' title than employ underhand tactics like Ferrari.

Mark Webber and Sebastian Vettel go into the season-ending showdown in Abu Dhabi on Sunday trailing Championship leader Fernando Alonso by eight and 15 points respectively.

Either driver could yet clinch the crown, but it has also thrown up the intriguing scenario of Vettel potentially aiding Webber should the young German be in a position to do so in order to deny Alonso.

Team principal Christian Horner has already made it clear no team orders will be imposed, and instead a decision regarding assistance rests solely on Vettel's shoulders.

Mateschitz is also determined to see his team remain loyal to their sporting philosophy, as they have steadfastly done so this season.

That is in contrast to Ferrari's manipulation of the team orders rule for which they were found guilty after Felipe Massa allowed through Alonso to claim victory in the German Grand Prix in July.

Mateschitz is adamant his team will not sink to such depths as he said: "Let the two drivers race and whatever will be will be. If Alonso wins we will have been unlucky."

Speaking in Austrian newspaper Kliene Zeitung, the energy drinks magnate added: "I predict a Hollywood ending, with the worst case scenario we don't become Champion.

"We'll do it next year. But our philosophy stays the same because this is sport and it must remain sport.

"We don't manipulate things like Ferrari do. The whole world condemned them after what they did in Hockenheim.

"But we have turned out to look like idiots because we have not acted in this way.

"But we have never even thought about it as long as both our drivers remain in the hunt for the Championship.

"So a second place under correct circumstances might be better than a win on grounds of orders and confirmations."

Newey: Fresh ideas paying off

Adrian-Newey_2485406.jpg

Red Bull technical guru Adrian Newey believes the new regulations which came into effect at the start of last season helped the team to steal a march on their rivals.

The Milton Keynes outfit have been on the forefront of innovations like the double-decker diffuser the past two years which helped to establish them as one of the top teams.

The hard work has finally paid off for Newey and company this season with the team snapping up their maiden Constructors' Championship while the Drivers' crown is also within their reach.

"I think we have been fortunate in a way in that the rules are still to some extent in their infancy," said Newey. "We are the second year into a very big set of regulation changes and with some fairly significant winter changes this year, and that helps to differentiate.

"If you can come up with fresh ideas, new ideas that steal a march then that happens. If you get to a position where we got to at the end of 2008 where we were many years into very stable regulations then it becomes very difficult to find new avenues."

Team boss Christian Horner is delighted that the team have finally fulfilled their vision.

"I think we have assembled a great group of guys and girls who work together so fantastically well," he said. "There is a commitment and dedication that has gone in, not just this year but previous years as well under the technical leadership of Adrian. But it is not all about individuals.

"It is about how the group has worked fantastically well collectively. Six and a half years ago Dietrich Mateschitz had a vision and we've fulfilled that vision which is just an unbelievable feeling."

Hamilton: I'd like to see Mark win it

105969235_2518224.jpg

Lewis Hamilton has admitted he would love to see Mark Webber emerge victorious in this year's Formula One World title race if he cannot claim the championship for himself.

Hamilton needs a win in Abu Dhabi on Sunday and at the same time must hope Ferrari star Fernando Alonso fails to score and Red Bull duo Mark Webber and Sebastian Vettel do not secure the few points they would need.

It is no wonder Hamilton is a 100/1 outsider with most bookmakers as only a remarkable final day will see him crowned Champion again.

Naturally, Hamilton is refusing to give up, but given the circumstances, he is rooting for Webber given the struggles he has faced at Red Bull this season, and despite their collision in the Singapore Grand Prix that cost the 25-year-old valuable points.

"I'd like to see Mark win it. He's done a great job this year," said Hamilton, when asked for his personal preference.

"He has been told by his team what position he is, and against adversity he has kept at it.

"I think he has done an awesome job. I'm quite impressed with what he has done.

"Vettel has obviously been incredibly quick and Fernando has done a good, solid job towards the end of the year, so it could go to any of them.

"But Mark's done pretty much everything right this year - apart from our little tangle."

Hamilton, though, will give it all he has in Abu Dhabi, warning his trio of rivals he has no intention of stepping aside and letting them fight it out amongst themselves.

"I don't really give a damn about any of those three," added Hamilton.

"At the end of the day I've still a shot at it, so I will try to win.

"They've lots more to lose than I have, so I won't be looking out for them, letting them past or anything like that.

"I'm going to Abu Dhabi to try to win, even though we don't have the fastest car at the moment, so it's going to be very difficult.

"But I could be riding in fourth and all three of them might not finish. Anything could happen."

With that in mind Hamilton is refusing to yet look back with any regrets at the accidents in Monza and Singapore that have cost him points.

"Maybe at the end of the year I'll reflect, but it doesn't matter because although you can dwell on the past, what good does it do? None at all," added Hamilton.

"At the end of the day if we had a faster car and we were at the front, like the Red Bulls have been all year, it's much easier to stay out of trouble, cruise to the finish line and score points.

"When you are having to make up ground and try to pass cars that are also faster than you, that's when you are prone to sometimes getting taken out of the race."

Barrichello confident of Williams contract

Rubens_Barrichello_01a.jpg

Rubens Barrichello has admitted that although there has been no contract signed between himself and Williams, he is confident that he will be with the Grove-based outfit in 2011.

"My project with Williams was not for one year only," Barrichello told SporTV.

"I've been talking about my contract for a long time. I cannot announce anything, because it is not signed. But I am working on the car for next year already. I don't see myself leaving."

The 38-year old is the longest serving driver in the paddock and will have driven for 17 seasons at the end of 2010.

In such time, the Brazilian has started in over 300 Grand Prix and earnt over 650 points throughout his F1 career.

Despite being confident of his drive for next year, Barrichello insists that it is now down to the team to come up with the contract, "My future depends on Williams."

Force India to test Burrman and Costa

Force_India_2010_002.jpg

Force India have today announced that Yelmer Burrman and Antonio Felix da Costa will share driving duties with Force India's test and reserve driver, Paul di Resta, at the young driver tests in Abu Dhabi next week.

This will be Burrman and Da Costa's first taste of an F1 car.

The 23-year-old Dutch driver, Burrman, has previously raced in Superleague Formula, in which he finished second overall in 2008. He also contested the GP2 Winter Series with Trust Team Arden alongside team-mate Sebastien Buemi.

Antonio will be the youngest Portuguese driver ever to drive an F1 car when he steps into the VJM03. The 19-year-old served as a rookie driver for A1 Team Portugal. The following year Antonio dominated the NEC field before stepping up to compete in the F3 Euroseries in 2010, in which he became rookie champion.

"We are pleased to be able to offer Yelmer and Antonio the opportunity to test an F1 car," said Otmar Szafnauer, chief operating officer of Force India.

"Paul will set the benchmark times so they can assess their own performance and see how to work within a top level team."

Yelmer added, "I am unbelievably happy with this chance. It is an honour to be the next Dutch racing driver to get the chance to test an excellent F1 car.

"F1 remains my ultimate goal and testing for such a good team like Force India F1 Team is a dream come true. I met the team last week for a simulator session learning the circuit and the seat fitting. There is a fantastic atmosphere and I felt immediately at home. I am well prepared and I will do my very best to show that."

Antonio commented, "Now I can say that I will drive for the Force India F1 Team in this test, it will be a memorable day in my career and I hope the first of many more at the wheel of a Formula 1 car.

"Force India is a fierce and very consistent team, with lots of ambition, that has been evolving throughout the last few years, so I expect to have a good performance and be able to show my potential."