FORMULA 1 - 2010

Verstappen: Red Bull must pick a driver

WebberVettel_2514020.jpg

Jos Verstappen has added his name to the long list of pundits and former drivers calling for Red Bull to back either Mark Webber or Sebastian Vettel.

With the penultimate race of the 2010 season occurring on Sunday, the race for the World title is still wide open, with five driver's still in with a shot of taking home the Championship crown.

Two of those in the hunt are Red Bull drivers Webber and Vettel, with Webber 11 points behind Championship leader Fernando Alonso and Vettel sitting a further 14 points adrift.

For some time Red Bull have been implored by many to throw their weight behind one driver's bid, something they have refused to do, and Verstappen has now echoed those sentiments.

"Purely mathematically, the German has a chance to be World Champion. But the team really has to put everything behind Webber," the 38-year-old wrote in his column for De Telegraaf.

"He [Webber] has a better chance of winning the title.

"With Webber's gap to Alonso only eleven points, he has a much more realistic chance of winning the title.

"If Red Bull are to win the title it is crucial that at this stage of the title race that they make a choice."

The Dutchman admits that the decision is made more complex by the team's perceived favouritism towards Vettel, which has been a contentious issue throughout the season.

"Of course it's a difficult position for Red Bull," explained the Dutchman.

"Although they have never directly expressed a preference for Vettel, the whole world knows that the team bosses prefer the young German to his older Australian team-mate."

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FIA officials visit US GP track site

Austin-circuit-layout-US-GP_2497126.jpg

Nick Craw, president of the FIA's senate, has travelled to Austin to inspect preparations for the 2012 United States Grand Prix.

The US GP is set to return to the F1 calendar in 2012, having last featured in 2007. The venue for the race will be a yet to be built track in Austin, Texas. Craw visited the site of the track and met with race and local officials.

"It will be great," Craw told the official Formula One site.

"This has some of the most interesting, exciting and different features, drawn from other successful venues around the world. It is a very strong team they've assembled here. I think it's a very good plan and a very solid business model. They've set the bar pretty high."

Tavo Hellmund, chairman of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix, admitted his delight at Craw's successful visit and promised the race will be an exciting one for both drivers and spectators.

"We were pleased to have Mr. Craw and Tim Mayer, alternate FIA delegate, visit the facility site and meet the incredible team assembled to build and operate what we believe will be one of the premiere racetracks on the circuit and a world-class venue," said Hellmund.

"Our team is committed to building more than a race track, we are thinking far beyond the expected and are developing an environment that will provide an entertainment experience for both participants and spectators alike.

"The track design has been developed with the drivers and spectators in mind. The drivers want to have high-speed corners; that's what they like. We want to force them to faults and errors; otherwise, the race is not interesting for the spectator. When we design a racing experience, we must consider both points of view to have a truly successful event."

After the debacle that was the build-up to the inaugural Korean Grand Prix which was punctuated by concerns that the track would not be ready in time for the race, it is believed that the FIA will re-institute the 90-day rule which requires all tracks to pass an inspection three months before the scheduled race.

Craw believes that this is the only route for the FIA to go.

"It probably protects everybody's interest a little better than running right up against the event," he explained.

"If the U.S. Grand Prix didn't want that rule, I will lobby against it."

However, Hellmund is of the opposite opinion, suggesting that entering into such an agreement would be of no benefit to the race organisers.

"While we would love to have the luxury of having a completed track 90 days in advance of the event date - the schedule, much like the construction schedule for the last five Grand Prix track developments and races added to the schedule, will potentially not afford us this opportunity," he explained.

"All of these events have been successful in their own right and it wouldn't make sense to invoke a 90-day mandate now, that would affect only one track in the world - ours," Hellmund added.

Herbert joins Brazil stewards' panel

Johnny-Herbert_2457875.jpg

Johnny Herbert has been added to the stewards' panel for this weekend's Brazilian Grand Prix.

It will be the third time the Briton has served on the panel, having previously assisted the stewards in Malaysia and later in Turkey.

Gerd Ennser, Felipe Giaffone and Paul Gutjahr make up the remainder of the panel for the race at Interlagos.

Ferrari to adopt a cautious approach

Fernando-Alonso-and-Stefano-Domenicali_2513138.jpg

Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali admits his team will be 'very careful' in their approach to the final two races of the season.

With Fernando Alonso heading the Drivers' standings heading into this weekend's race in Brazil, Domenicali has revealed the team will not make any major adjustments to their current package in order to limit possible reliability issues.

"We have seen how complicated the races have been throughout the season, which means we have to be very careful," explained the Italian.

"As far as the F10 is concerned, there will be a few small updates on the aerodynamic front, but nothing really significant, because the difference will come from reliability, from finishing the races without losing points and having the right mindset."

Despite this, the team boss is confident the Ferraris will be at the front of the pack in São Paulo.

"I think the F10 can be competitive in Brazil and that, for better or for worse, the relative strengths are those we have seen in the last few races. We can expect to find that Red Bull is again very strong, while McLaren could have some more updates to be quicker still and we will be in the fight."

Mathematically Alonso could claim the title in Brazil, but Domenicali admits the chances of this are very slim but regardless every race was of course vital.

"It is unlikely to decide the outcome, but it will be a very important race," said the 45-year-old.

"If one were to lose valuable points here it would make Abu Dhabi a bigger call," he added.

Williams preview the Brazilian GP

Williams_rear_diffuser_01.jpg

Sam Michael, Technical Director: The Brazilian Grand Prix has provided some excellent racing in both wet and dry conditions over the last few years. The track at Interlagos is such a great circuit. It's high downforce, but aerodynamic efficiency is important for the straights. Our target for the race is very clear; to qualify both cars in the top ten and to improve our position in the constructors’ championship.

Rubens Barrichello: This is my favourite race: I love the city, the people and the attitude of the fans. I just love being there, but it goes by too quickly! The track has a great layout. In my opinion, the double right hander of Turns 6 and 7 is one of the best corners in the world. There are places to overtake around Interlagos, while there’s always a chance of rain to make things interesting.

Achieving a good set-up and qualifying result is important, but it’s not always easy to set the car up – you need strong traction and balance. The Williams tends to suit Brazil, and I have a new engine for this race, so we shall see. From the messages I’ve been receiving, I know that the fans want the team to do well this weekend and we’ll be pushing hard to deliver.

Nico Hülkenberg: I haven’t been to Brazil before, but I’m definitely looking forward to going there as everyone says how cool it is. Interlagos is another new circuit for me, and one of the few tracks on the calendar that runs anti-clockwise. The track itself looks challenging but interesting. I’m particularly looking forward to driving the Senna S, as well as Turns 6 and 7; the fast, double right hander. After Korea, I can’t wait to get back into the FW32 and go racing again. We’ll be looking to get more points at this race.

Renault preview the Brazilian GP

Renault_R30_valencia_testing_2010_04.jpg

Q: Robert, let’s look back on Korea. What were your thoughts on the race?

RK: For me it felt like the race was divided in two halves. The first part was very difficult because I had big problems with the overall grip and I struggled to keep the car on the track. In the second half I gained quite a lot of ground when my tyres were in better shape for the last ten or 15 laps of the race. I managed to finish fifth, which was a good reward for our efforts. Of course we would like to be more competitive, but I think overall we have to be happy to have scored a good amount of points after the difficulty we had at the start of the race.

Q: Looking ahead to this weekend, how do you think the R30 will perform at Interlagos?

RK: Brazil is a bit of a strange track and it’s really difficult to predict how we will perform. There is a long straight out of the last corner where the f-duct will give us lots of gain and this is also where the power of the engine will be important. I think that we might have a lottery with the weather because Brazil gets unsettled conditions at this time of year, so it’s likely we will have some wet running, as we did in 2009. When it rains the track has very poor grip and you have to be lucky to get the perfect balance with the car.

Q: What are the keys to a good set-up in Brazil?

RK: It’s a difficult track for setting up the car because of the long straight and the uphill sections of the track. You have to choose between top speed, or running a lot of downforce and gaining through the corners, so it’s very difficult to balance those two things. The track has a bit of everything – low speed, high speed and it’s kind of an old school circuit so there are quite a lot of places where you can gain lap time. But, as I said before, it’s quite difficult to get everything in the right place with the balance and the car set-up.

Q: The Brazilian Grand Prix always has a great atmosphere on race day. Tell us about your memories of racing there…

RK: You are very near the fans because the grandstands are very close, which makes the feeling on the grid very special. 95% of them are cheering for Brazilians, but it’s still a nice atmosphere. I had a good result there last year, which came as a big surprise. It will be difficult to repeat it this year, but as I said the weather can play a big role at Interlagos and anything can happen there.

Q: Vitaly, how are you approaching the next race at Interlagos?

VP: When you have tough races like Japan and Korea, you can’t wait to get back in the car to forget those bad memories, so I’m really looking forward to Interlagos. But it’s difficult to know what to expect because I’ve never been to Brazil before and it’s another new challenge for me. It’s a famous circuit because there have been so many great races there, especially in the last few years with the championship being decided. I remember watching these races on television so it will be great to experience it for real.

Q: What are your views on the track layout?

VP: It’s not a very long lap – just over 4km, but there are a lot of different corners in the lap. It’s also quite undulating so I think this makes it more interesting to try and find the limit in some of the corners. There is a very long straight and a good overtaking opportunity into the first chicane, so clearly the f-duct will very important at this track.

Q: Have you done any special preparation for this race?

VP: After Korea I went straight to Enstone to see the engineers and to talk about Brazil. The team have lots of data from last year, which is useful for learning the track because you can see the gears, the braking, the line, and you can start to understand the lap more. I also went back in the simulator to help me learn the Interlagos circuit. It only takes an hour to know the track pretty well and to have the confidence to start pushing.

Robert’s Guide to Interlagos

There is always a great atmosphere at Interlagos because of the passionate Brazilian fans. It’s one of those races that is usually exciting, often because of the unpredictable weather, and so we may have another interesting weekend. Overall the track is quite challenging to drive and it’s definitely a circuit that I enjoy.

It’s quite an old-fashioned track with some interesting sections. There are some uphill and downhill corners in the middle of the lap, as well as a couple of blind braking, late apex corners. Then you have the big uphill section from the last corner all the way along the main straight. It doesn’t seem especially steep when you watch it on television, but it’s important that you have good power and traction because it’s a long way to the first corner.

You need a set-up that deals with everything really because there is such a mix of corners – both high and low-speed. Plus, it’s bumpy, too, so you need a car that is smooth and comfortable to drive. And, as usual, you have to find the best compromise between downforce and top speed because you need to be competitive down the long straights.

It’s a circuit with good overtaking opportunities. The best chance is turn one and with a good tow along the main straight you can try and brake late and dive down the inside. Last year it helped that some cars were running a dry set-up and others had a wet set-up – so that led to quite a big speed differential between some of the cars.

When it rains the track becomes very tricky, especially because the rain is usually very heavy and you often get a lot of rivers and standing water across the track. But the organisers have done a good job of carrying out some drainage on the surface of the track recently, which has helped.

Changes afoot at Merc GP

Nico-Rosberg-and-Michael-Schumacher_2444326.jpg

Michael Schumacher and Nico Rosberg will both work with new race engineers next year, according to a report.

Eurosport's French portal reports that seven-time World Champion Schumacher, who is working alongside Andy Shovlin this year, will team up with Mark Slade in the 2011 season. Former McLaren engineer Slade is currently working with Vitaly Petrov at Renault.

Rosberg, meanwhile, will be reunited with Tony Ross. The duo worked together at Williams.

Other reshuffles at the Brackley-based outfit next year could see Shovlin taking up another engineering role while team principal Ross Brawn and Mercedes motorsport boss will reportedly take a few steps back in the day-to-day running of the team.

Senna looks forward to home race

Bruno-Senna_2500384.jpg

Hispania Racing driver Bruno Senna has told of his excitement of racing his first "home" Formula One Grand Prix this weekend at Sao Paolo.

The Brazilian star will be one of four home crowd favourites at Interlagos on Sunday, along with Rubens Barrichello, Lucas Di Grassi and Felipe Massa, and is eager to deliver a strong performance on home soil.

"Interlagos is one of the most popular tracks amongst the drivers and I cannot wait to compete here for the first time this weekend," said Senna.

"I'm lucky to receive some fantastic support from fans every time I come home to Brazil, and am determined to put on a good performance on Sunday.

"I know that the track has many inclines, and will require a lot of power from the car's engine. It's renowned as a tough physical race for the drivers, with its anti-clockwise circuit moving the driver's neck to the left and not the right. It's a challenge however that I'm looking forward to."

After delivering some strong performances over his last few races, including a 14th place finish at Korea, Senna is looking to maintain his run of form until the end of the season.

"Korea was a great result for the team, and we are really now starting to show that we can compete at a good level. There are two races to go before the season closes, and we all want to finish as strong as possible."

Wet weekend on the cards?

Brazil-weather_2522375.jpg

The weather could once again play a major role in the outcome of the Brazilian Grand Prix and ultimately the Championship as rain is expected at some stage over the weekend.

Mother Nature has a history of spicing things up in Sao Paulo with some atrocious weather. Qualifying for the 2009 grand prix took 2 hours and 41 minutes to complete due to a tropical storm while rain also caused havoc during the final laps of the 2008 race.

According to the BBC weather site, it will be no different this year and early forecasts suggest rain will fall on practice day Friday and during qualifying on Saturday.

However, things will clear up on Saturday evening and we should have a dry race on Sunday.

Should it rain, then it will be third grand prix in a row affected by bad weather. Qualifying was postponed until the Sunday morning in Japan following torrential downpours on the Saturday afternoon while the start of the inaugural Korean Grand Prix was red flagged due to heavy showers.

Button: Not bad for a first year

Jenson-Button_2517825.jpg

Jenson Button says he is "reasonably happy" with the way things have gone during his debut season with McLaren.

The 30-year-old Button swapped Brawn GP (now Mercedes) for a seat at McLaren at the start of this year despite winning his maiden title with the Brackley-based outfit in 2009.

When asked by Germany's Auto Motor Und Sport if he was happy with his first year, Button said: "In principle, yes. I have developed the car in a direction that is good but not yet perfect for me. I have been forced to make sacrifices in qualifying as I have rarely found a good balance with my car.

"My conclusion? Two races before the end and I still have a mathematical chance of winning the title which is not bad for my first year at a new team. I can be reasonably happy."

He admits becoming part of the Woking team has been very easy.

"There were no prejudices," he added. "McLaren expected results only from me. Although the car was already developed, I could still give my input and take the car into a direction which suited me better. The team quickly realised that I wasn't only here for driving, that I wanted to be part of the team. Lewis also understood that two drivers see more than one, especially as the two of us have such a different driving styles. The benefits from this coming winter will be even greater as I will be here from the start."

Lauda: You can write Vettel off

Sebastian-Vettel_2517831.jpg

Niki Lauda says Red Bull must throw all their support behind Mark Webber or risk losing the World Championship.

Webber finds himself 11 points behind Championship leader Fernando Alonso with two races to go while his Red Bull team-mate Sebastian Vettel is a further 14 points adrift.

Despite calls from all and sundry to back just one driver for the remainder of the season, Red Bull team boss Christian Horner has made it clear they will continue to support both until the very end.

However, three-time World Champion Lauda believes Vettel is out of the race for the Championship and the team should back Webber from here on in.

"You can write Vettel off," he is quoted in Austria's Kleine Zeitung. "He has no chance. Even if he wins the other [title contenders] won't just disappear."

Although he's not in favour of team orders, Lauda insists Red Bull must to do everything to help Webber and they must drive "logical".

The Austrian says Championship pacesetter Alonso in a class of his own, but he believes Webber's quick car will help him to match the Ferrari driver.

"I'm still convinced that the two Red Bulls are three, four tenths faster than anyone else," he added. "But Alonso is the better driver who is in a league of his own. However, with the clear advantage in a faster car can be a compensation for Webber. "

Hispania and Toyota negotiations ongoing

toyota_1.jpg

Hispania and Toyota Motorsport are still in discussion for the 2011 season, despite the Spanish outfit announcing a technical partnership with Williams earlier this week.

There have been several rumours surrounding the two companies, some suggesting that Hispania had bought the Cologne based factory, which isn't true, and another suggesting their car will be based on this years TF110, which failed to race.

The latter of the rumours could in fact be true. Pascal Vasselon, technical director at Toyota Motorsport in Germany, confirmed negotiations remained open, even in light of the Williams agreement.

"Such an assumption is premature," Vasselon told Auto123 in regards to whether the possible deal between the two had ended after Hispania reached a gearbox supply deal with the Grove based team.

"Negotiations are still going on with Hispania," he confirmed. "One must not jump to conclusions too quickly.

"Our ability to support an F1 team is not confined to just one thing. It is a complete package that includes the engine, the gearbox and the chassis.

"Hispania Racing Team has been a customer of Toyota Motorsport this season. We also have several F1 teams, and even some of the biggest teams, are among our current customers."

Vasselon also hinted that a deal might have already been agreed, suggesting an announcement could be made soon.

"I cannot say much yet, but we continue to discuss with Hispania. I think we will be able to make an announcement a little later."

Horner: An Alonso win would be frustrating

Christian_Horner_praying.jpg

Christian Horner believes it would be frustrating if Fernando Alonso takes the title after Ferrari broke the regulations, with little punishment.

The Red Bull team principal echoed similar comments voiced by Max Mosley last week, when the former-FIA president said an Alonso win by seven points or less would devalue Formula One.

"If by any chance Alonso were to win the championship, with a margin less than the seven points... it would devalue the championship," Mosley told the BBC.

Also speaking to the British broadcasting giant, Horner urged his team to do their talking on the track, rather than dwell on the seven points Alonso gained during the Hockenheim controversy.

"It would be frustrating [if Alonso won] because we've obviously worked under the auspices that team orders have been illegal," said Horner.

"The FIA made the ruling that they did, that's it, it's clear for all. We've just got to get on with it and try and do our talking on the circuit."

Red Bull currently head the constructors' championship by 27 points over McLaren, whilst Mark Webber stands just 11 points behind Alonso in the drivers' title, with 50 points remaining in the final two rounds of the 2010 season.

MIKA: This is no doubt why Horner refuses to back either of his drivers so that should Alonso win, he could at least complain about Ferrari without being branded the same should he sway toward team orders..

Feature: The Challenge of Interlagos

brakes_Vitaly_Petrov_Renault_R30_019.jpg

Interlagos may be one of the shorter laps on the calendar at just over 4.3km, but there’s no shortage of challenges for the drivers and engineers. With one of the longest straights of the season, combined with slow hairpins and a couple of high-speed corners, finding the sweet spot at Interlagos is all about making the right set-up compromise.

The perennial question facing teams at the Brazilian Grand Prix is whether to choose straight-line speed over optimum lap time. It’s a challenge that has been made easier this year thanks to the wonders of the f-duct, but it’s still front-of-mind for the engineers, as Chief Engineer Alan Permane explains: “We usually set the car up to achieve the optimum lap time, and the way the R30 works with our f-duct should still allow us to achieve good straight-line speeds. It means we can have the downforce in the slow infield corners but still be competitive enough to attack or defend down the straights.”

Finding the sweet spot for the mechanical set-up is a similar story with a balance necessary to deliver a car that works well in the low and high-speed sections. “As always, it’s the low-speed corners where the most lap time can be found, so it’s important that your car has good traction,” says Alan. “But with high-speed corners such as turn 11, which has an apex speed of 230 km/h, the car needs to be responsive and you can’t afford to have a set-up that is too soft. As ever, it’s about striking the right balance.”

It’s those quick corners with the high g-forces that make Interlagos a tough race physically for the drivers. The forces are highest in turns six and seven where the drivers have to endure 4.5g of lateral acceleration for 4.5 seconds. The anti-clockwise layout also subjects the drivers’ necks to the opposite loadings experienced at clockwise circuits for many of the corners. As a result, don’t be surprised to see extra cockpit padding appear on the drivers’ headrests to help them through the 71 laps of the Grand Prix.

On the engine side, the long main straight means that engine power is a critical factor at Interlagos with the cars on full throttle for 16 seconds from the exit of turn 12 until the braking zone for turn one. On top of that, all the engines must cope with the effect of running at altitude because the circuit is situated around 800 metres above sea level.

“Running at altitude costs an F1 engine around 8% of its power,” confirms Remi Taffin, Head of Engine Track Operations. “Despite losing this power, the altitude actually has a positive impact on the engine because the moving parts suffer less. There is less air entering the engine, which means less pressure and less stress on the pistons, conrods, crankshaft and every moving part.”

The engine engineers will also work hard over the weekend to deliver engine mapping that gives the engine good torque delivery, especially at low revs. “There are a couple of tricky low speed corners so the engine needs to be drivable at the lower end of the rev range from 8,000 to 13,000 rpm,” says Remi. “Getting smooth power delivery will help to ensure a stable car balance and good performance through the twisty middle sector.”

The final challenge of the lap is the long left-hand drag up the hill onto the main straight, which can make it tricky to pick up the last bit of fuel in the tank, especially during low-fuel qualifying runs. “We will need to check the fuel pick-up in free practice,” explains Remi. “We don’t expect any problems with the fuel system we have been running, but it’s better to be safe than sorry.”

FIA finalises 2011 race calendar

fia_logo4.jpg

The FIA have today confirmed the 2011 calendar, now featuring 20 races thanks to the introduction of the Indian Grand Prix.

Next year will be the longest season in history, starting in Bahrain on March 13th, ending nine months later in Brazil on the 27th November.

Two races, India and China, are both subject to homologation of the circuits before they are finalised.

The reason for the Shanghai circuit needing homologation is due to their race license expiring, before a new one is issued, the circuit must be upgraded to meet the FIA's guidelines.

2011 Formula 1 calendar

13/03 Bahrain

27/03 Australia

10/04 Malaysia

17/04 China*

08/05 Turkey

22/05 Spain

29/05 Monaco

12/06 Canada

26/06 Europe

10/07 Great Britain

24/07 Germany

31/07 Hungary

28/08 Belgium

11/09 Italy

25/09 Singapore

09/10 Japan

16/10 Korea

30/10 India*

13/11 Abu Dhabi

27/11 Brazil

*Subject to the homologation of the circuit.

Webber chasing Brazilian glory

d10kor972_2518223.jpg

Mark Webber is aiming for a repeat of last season's Brazilian Grand Prix victory to reignite his World title challenge.

After crashing out in the inaugural race in South Korea 10 days ago, Webber has gone from the hunted to the hunter as Fernando Alonso is the man to catch following his victory at the Yeongam circuit.

Webber now finds himself 11 points adrift of the Spaniard with the season approaching its climax, with only Sunday's race in Sao Paulo and the concluding event in Abu Dhabi a week later to come.

The 34-year-old Australian knows he cannot afford another mistake akin to the one he made in Korea, which resulted in him collecting Mercedes' Nico Rosberg into the bargain.

Instead, taking the chequered flag again at Interlagos would be the ideal tonic for the Red Bull star.

"Brazil is one of the best tracks of the year in terms of the atmosphere," Webber said.

"I obviously have good memories from there from last year. It was a nice race to win and we'll clearly be trying to get another victory this year.

"It's now coming to a pivotal stage of the Championship and we need to make the most of every opportunity we can."

The Interlagos circuit is undeniably one of the best in F1, although its ramshackle nature and cramped paddock are arguably the worst.

But the race generally is a spectacle and throws up the unexpected, which is why trying to nominate a winner is too difficult to call.

Webber's team-mate Sebastian Vettel said: "There are a lot of positive things about the upcoming event in Brazil.

"The circuit is fantastic and the spectators are passionate about racing, ensuring the atmosphere during a race is great.

"The Interlagos track is a challenging one for the drivers because it's anti-clockwise which, after a season of racing on clockwise circuits, puts a strain on your neck muscles."

As to whether it will suit Red Bull, it would appear to be hit and miss as far as Vettel is concerned.

"The circuit requires good aero efficiency, which should suit our car," added the 23-year-old, who is 25 points behind Alonso.

"However, the long, uphill start-finish straight will give an advantage to the more powerful engines."

Interesting.......

Prosecutor: Massa can be jailed if he helps Alonso

By TALES AZZONI, Associated Press 12 minutes ago

Printable View

Return to Original

retweet

* Email

* Print

SAO PAULO (AP)—A Brazilian prosecutor warned Felipe Massa that he could be arrested and sentenced to up to six years in prison if he takes team orders to help Ferrari teammate Fernando Alonso win the Formula One title.

Massa could be charged with fraud if he allows Alonso to pass him or if he does anything else that would somehow alter the result Sunday at in Interlagos, according to prosecutor Paulo Castilho, known for taking up sports causes in Brazil.

“Massa or any other driver who does anything to fraud the result of the race can be arrested and formally charged,” Castilho told The Associated Press on Thursday. “It doesn’t mean that it will happen, it will be up to the local authority in charge of the event to decide whether the law has been broken.”

The law mentioned by Castilho says that it’s a crime to “fraud by any means, or contribute to fraud, in any way, the result of a sporting event.”

Massa arrived at the Brazilian Grand Prix saying he would give way to his teammate if needed Sunday, just as he did while leading the German GP in July so Alonso could earn more points in the race for the title.

“I would do it again, I’m a professional driver,” Massa said earlier this week.

The move in Germany prompted F1 officials to fine Ferrari $100,000 for using team orders, but none of the drivers’ were punished. Massa was heavily criticized by some fans and local media.

“Even after the race in Germany, when I arrived in Brazil, the people were very nice with me, very fantastic, pushing me forward,” he said.

Massa had already helped another Ferrari teammate win the title in 2007. He was leading the race at Interlagos, but allowed Kimi Raikkonen to take over the lead and secure the championship.

Alonso can win the title if he wins Sunday and Red Bull’s Mark Webber finishes fifth or worse. Alonso can also clinch the title by finishing second if Webber is eighth or worse, McLaren’s Lewis Hamilton fourth or worse and Red Bull’s Sebastian Vettel third or worse.

“If there is enough evidence showing that the team orders are affecting the result unfairly, the local authority can make the arrests of those involved,” Castilho said.

Alonso has 231 points with two races to go, 11 points more than Webber and 21 points ahead of Hamilton. Massa is not in contention for the title.

Alonso said he is hoping that Massa runs well enough to win the final two races of the season, keeping his rivals from getting the victories.

“It’s best to have Felipe winning the races because then he is taking 25 points away from everybody else,” the Spaniard said.

Massa and Ferrari officials could not be reached to comment on the prosecutor’s warning.

The prosecutor’s warning against team orders was first reported by the Folha de S. Paulo newspaper, Brazil’s largest.

Interesting.......

Prosecutor: Massa can be jailed if he helps Alonso

It is indeed Rcky! ;)

Thanks very much for posting. :buddies:

It would have been good if Ferraris 'Hirachy' were jailed for what happened in Germany rather than receiving the measly fine they did... :lol:

Alonso is also not the brightest tool in the shed seeing he is quite vocal about how it would be great if massa won the next race (Imgine if this does work out!?) was it rigged?!

This season has been fantastic IMO (I would like to see refuelling return) albeit the issue in Germany. Should Ferrari win the WDC and Constructors, we wont hear the end of it for some time as I am sure Horner at Red Bull racing will be quite vocal about the whole match fixing.

Ferrari do indeed seem to have 9 lives and more as they tend to get what they want.

It is indeed Rcky! :idea:

Thanks very much for posting. :party:

It would have been good if Ferraris 'Hirachy' were jailed for what happened in Germany rather than receiving the measly fine they did... <_<

Alonso is also not the brightest tool in the shed seeing he is quite vocal about how it would be great if massa won the next race (Imgine if this does work out!?) was it rigged?!

This season has been fantastic IMO (I would like to see refuelling return) albeit the issue in Germany. Should Ferrari win the WDC and Constructors, we wont hear the end of it for some time as I am sure Horner at Red Bull racing will be quite vocal about the whole match fixing.

Ferrari do indeed seem to have 9 lives and more as they tend to get what they want.

What a friggin joke. Case of some Joe Blow Nobody in Brazil wanting some press time. Can't see Brazil prosecuting a Brazilian, nope ain't gonna happen.

Being a McClaren fan I hate Ferrari and wished they were penalized more for Germany. But Ferrari is Ferrari, there is a set of rules for Ferrari then there's the rules for the rest. Having said that, now that Massa can't win the Championship, there's nothing wrong with him helping his "teammate." That's the point with having teams.

Let's see from Massa's perspective: Help my teammate win a WDC and help my team win the constructor which will keep everybody at Ferrari happy and benefit me down the road. Or, let (help) someone else win and be out of a super elite job that most people can only dream of.

Still holding out hope for McClaren despite the odds.

Hamilton wants a 'straightforward race'

105969235_2518224.jpg

Lewis Hamilton is upbeat about his chances at the Brazilian Grand Prix despite admitting he is not the favourite to win Sunday's race.

"We go to Brazil knowing that we may not have the fastest car, but we'll have a decent package that should work well," Hamilton said.

"We have a strong engine and good straight-line speed, so I think we'll still be quick."

Hamilton said he has always had a "unique experience" in races at Interlagos, the track where he lost the F1 title in 2007 and won it in 2008.

"In my first year in Formula One, I battled past a load of cars but could only finish seventh, losing out on the world championship," he said.

"The following year, I had another tricky race, but managed to take fifth position on the final lap to win the world title."

He said he had "one of the best races" of his career last year, when he finished third despite a mistake in qualifying that resulted in a 17th-place staring position and another eventful race.

Hamilton said he was hoping for a calmer afternoon on Sunday.

"I'd like a nice, straightforward race this year," he said.

Klien to replace Yamamoto in Brazil

Christian_Klien_HRT_01l.jpg

Christian Klien will compete in his second race of the 2010 season after the Hispania outfit announced he will replace Sakon Yamamoto in Brazil this weekend.

Klien last had the opportunity to driver the HRT in Singapore, after the team replaced the Japanese driver due to a stomach bug.

The reason for this weekend's change is less clear, Klien though, is looking forward to his third race at the Interlagos circuit.

"I am excited to come to Brazil where I already raced two times, the last time in 2005, and where I could achieve good results," said the Austrian. "The circuit is quite challenging and we are racing anti-clockwise which is going to be tough for the neck.

"There are many slow corners and the long straight at the start-finish-line where high speeds are possible.

"I am very happy to get a second opportunity to do another Grand Prix here after Singapore and I hope that we are doing a good weekend with positive results."

MIKA: CK must have received his "Pocket money" to get a drive at HRT again... :stir:

Renault secures long-term sponsor, Japan Rags

Renault_Ferrari_Canada_01.jpg

The Renault team has secured a multi-year sponsorship deal with Japan Rags, the men's clothing brand of the LTC Group.

The company has rapidly expanded into Europe, particularly France, making the Renault team the perfect partner for further brand expansion.

The companies logo will feature on the inside faces of the rear wing endplates, as well as at the top of the pod-vane on the leading edge of the car’s sidepods.

"We are delighted to welcome Japan Rags to our network of team partners," said Renault F1 Team Chairman Gerard Lopez.

"This is a multi-year sponsorship agreement, and we believe that the sport’s unique global footprint, allied to our team’s growing competitiveness in the coming seasons, will enable Japan Rags to exceed its objectives for this partnership. We look forward to a strong and successful relationship together."

Gil Richardière, Co-founder and CEO of Le Temps des Cerises, added: "Following the LTC Group’s successful growth strategy in France – 35 own-brand boutiques, a dozen major department store displays and more than 600 points of sale – and the launch of subsidiaries in Spain and Switzerland, which gave us more than 1,000 points of sale throughout Europe, we wished to give fresh impetus to the development of the LTC Group by promoting Japan Rags through exceptional media coverage alongside a prestigious partner, Renault F1 Team.

"This partnership will be a key part of LTC Group’s development strategy, to launch our brand in new markets and perhaps eventually to develop a network of own-brand boutiques. This new agreement will definitely strengthen the LTC Group internationally.".

F1's Brazilians pay tribute to Senna

Lucas-di-Grassi-Rubens-Barrichello-Felipe-Mas_2523035.jpg

The current quartet of Brazilians in F1 expressed their admiration for their hero Ayrton Senna, whose life and death are the subject of a feature-length documentary due out later this month.

Senna, who died following a crash at the San Marino Grand Prix at Imola in May 1994, is still one of the sport's great icons, especially in Brazil and now a film simply entitled 'Senna' uses original archive footage and family movies to tell the story of a man who won three F1 Drivers' Championships.

After watching a screening of the film for the first time on Wednesday night, Senna's nephew Bruno described it as "awesome".

"It reminded me of so many things that just got dulled by time," said the Hispania Racing driver.

"It's very special for me, but then for anyone who's a racing driver, a fan of Ayrton, it's going to be quite special.

"For people who didn't know him, they will have a pretty good image of what Ayrton was all about.

"It's not a movie about racing itself, it's a movie about the life of Ayrton, the implications of what he did in his life.

"It feels very special and definitely brought back many memories, good memories and some sad memories as well, of course."

Felipe Massa, Rubens Barrichello and Lucas Di Grassi have all yet to view the film, so instead offered their own insights into how they remembered Senna.

"I remember perfectly what I was doing the day he died," recalled Di Grassi, coming towards the end of his debut season with Virgin.

"I had a radio-controlled aeroplane, something Ayrton liked to do as well, and I was playing with it when my father rang.

"I was playing in the field, and he said 'come back home, there is something going on'.

"I went home and then I saw everything, the implications that day had with Brazil itself, a very, very deep image I'll never forget.

"For me it made the connection as to how important racing was for the Brazilian people, and for sure it motivated me to go racing."

Barrichello was only in his second year in F1 when Senna was killed at the San Marino Grand Prix in Imola, something he has admitted in the past had a profound effect on him.

"Well, he was the man," said Barrichello, now in his 18th season in F1.

"For me he was everything, ever since he helped me a great deal in going to the go-kart World Championships. We know the story.

"Unfortunately, I couldn't be at the cinema yesterday to watch the preview, but I will be the very first one to watch it when it comes out."

Offering up his recollection of Senna the racing driver, to this day Ferrari star Massa remains stunned by his achievements, notably his record of 65 pole positions that is unlikely to ever be beaten.

"Senna was really amazing," said Massa. "He was a great driver in the race, but what he was able to do in qualifying was something I never saw before.

"You could see he had something different. Although he won many, many races and was very strong, what he did in qualifying was really, really amazing for me."

Alonso: Massa can have the Brazilian win

FernandoAlonso_2523096.jpg

Fernando Alonso said all the right things in Brazil when he revealed he would love nothing more than to see Ferrari team-mate Felipe Massa win in front of his own fans.

Ferrari's fight for the Formula One world title has been overshadowed by events at the German Grand Prix in July, when on the back of coded team orders Massa eased aside to allow Alonso through for the win.

Red Bull Racing team principal Christian Horner revisited the issue this week when he stated a third title triumph for Alonso "would be frustrating because we've obviously worked under the auspices that team orders have been illegal".

With Alonso standing on the brink of another Drivers' title, leading the standings by 11 points from Red Bull's Mark Webber, it is evident rancour still exists in certain quarters.

The question is, however, in front of a passionate Brazilian crowd, will Alonso expect Massa to repeat what he did at Hockenheim.

It is a situation that could easily arise, with Massa qualifying on pole for the last three grands prix at Interlagos.

"Felipe is normally very strong here," said Alonso, when asked if he expected Massa to be his willing accomplice.

"I think the best thing for us, for me in the Championship, for the numbers, is to have Felipe winning the race because he takes 25 points from everybody else.

"This year, from first to second, there is the biggest difference in points - seven, but from second to third, third to fourth, there are very small differences which may allow me to keep the advantage I have.

"So the worry for me is the 25 points, if one of the other drivers takes those points.

"Hopefully Felipe can win both races (Brazil and Abu Dhabi). It will be the best thing for me."

In terms of attempting to win over a passionate public almost certain to jeer the Spaniard this weekend, it was a master stroke in damage limitation from Alonso.

As for Massa, there is a natural desire to win in front of his own fans to prove he is still worthy of their support, but it is clear he also knows his place.

Asked if he would cede to Alonso on Sunday should the possibility arise, Massa replied: "I did it already, in 2007."

He allowed then team-mate Kimi Raikkonen to claim victory here three years ago, and in so doing the Finn clinched the title by a point from Lewis Hamilton and Alonso.

Massa insists he remains "a professional driver," believing also in the eyes of the fans he is not the villain in this piece.

"I expect me to win the race, and I will do the best I can to win it for them, the people," added the Sao Paulo native.

"It's true that even after the race in Germany, when I arrived in Brazil, people were very nice with me, were fantastic, pushing me forward.

"The real people, they are great. It's the journalists who are much more difficult."

Massa, though, appreciates his role this weekend, aware he is in a position to take points away from Webber, Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel who are 11, 21 and 25 points adrift respectively.

"When you have a driver taking points away from the others in the Championship, it is always important," assessed Massa.

"So I see myself there, thinking about starting and finishing in the best possible position."

Although Webber is clearly Alonso's greatest concern, the Spanish double World Champion is far from ruling Hamilton out of the equation.

"It depends how the races develop," said Alonso.

"He still has a chance, no doubt, Vettel as well. Jenson (Button) is different because he needs four others not to score points.

"But for Lewis, it's very simple. If he wins this race, and with a retirement from me or from Webber, he is leading the Championship.

"Anything can happen. They will be very exciting races. It's like starting from zero, and whoever from the three or four contenders does a better job in these last two races will become Champion."

Anyone think US F1 & Campos will make the start grid this year?

Hello and welcome tracky! :D

To answer your question, "No" to both.

US F1 had their chance and as we all know, they fell through due to financial hardship. It would be good for the US to have their own team but due to the newer teams being fairly slow to say the least, Bernie Ecclestone is really unhappy with them and as such, I can't imagine he would give the likes of another 'Private' team to enter F1 anytime soon.

Of course, this is just my own opinion and is not to say I could be wrong.... :stir:

I think Bernie is hoping an established manufacturer would enter F1 as there have been rumors about Audi "Peeking" about and showing some interest for as soon as 2012.