FORMULA 1 - 2010

FIA drops team order ban from 2011 season

Alonso_Massa_Ferrari_F10_1-2_Germany_Hockenheim_01.jpg

The FIA has taken the decision to drop the rule banning team orders during races after the Ferrari controversy this year.

In a statement, the governing body said: from 2011, "article (39.1) forbidding team orders will be deleted."

Though the rule will be dropped, the FIA remains the right to punish teams if they feel an order has bought the sport into disrepute.

"Teams will be reminded that any actions liable to bring the sport into disrepute are dealt with under Article 151c of the International Sporting Code and any other relevant provisions."

The statement added that all radio transmissions between the teams and FIA would be available to broadcasters by 2012 in a move which should make on-track decisions more transparent.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rumours suggest Hispania is up for sale

Bruno_Senna_HRT_Hispania_01_Bahrain.jpg

Is Hispania Racing up for sale? Spanish newspaper AS believe so and report that owner Jose Ramón Carabante has no options but to sell the team and cut his losses.

Not much has gone right for the the Spanish outfit which struggled from start to finish in its maiden year, narrowly making the first race in Bahrain.

A lack of investment and funds led to the team using the same spec car throughout the entire year, even introducing different pay-drivers to fund the team.

Even the introduction of wealthy businessman Juan Villalonga has seemingly solved very little as their new chassis and aerodynamics partner, Toyota Motorsport GmbH, pulled out of a supply deal due to late payments.

The newspaper also reports that the team has contacted several U.S. and South American investors to try and prop up its 2011 involvement, however none of these deals are yet to materialise.

"So now Hispania is without a car, drivers, venue and sponsors. They only have Cosworth engines," reports AS.

It will be difficult to sell the team with just a handful of months until the 2011 season as their current chassis will likely fall foul of the 107% qualifying rule. However, companies such as Epsilon Euskadi and Lola, both of which applied for 2010 but failed, may have the technical abilities to update the current car and make it competitive enough to compete.

Update: A Hispania spokesperson has told Reuters that the team isn't up for sale, and Carabante is working hard for the 2011 season.

"The team is not on sale, we are working hard for 2011," she said.

"Carabante is working on getting sponsors and investors. One Spanish group is interested in joining the team but things are not so easy nowadays in the world."

MIKA: The news HRT are up for sale (Possibly) doesn't surprise me. They are THE worst team on the grid are IMO are NOT up to F1 standards.

Doubt Hispania will be on the grid in a little over 3 months time. That's a lot of work to do in 3 months time. Sounds like if they can scrap their way to the starting line, they'll see nothing but blue flags. Time for them to step up or pull out the white flag.

Sad that Petrov is going to get a seat over Hulkenburg. Money talks. No way the Russian government is going to let Petrov fail. Compared to buying the World Cup, buying Petrov a set is small change.

Sad that Petrov is going to get a seat over Hulkenburg. Money talks. No way the Russian government is going to let Petrov fail. Compared to buying the World Cup, buying Petrov a set is small change.

I agree, HRT should pull out the white flag and leave the sport.

As for Petrov and Hulkenberg, IMO, I feel Petrov out paced Hulkenberg this season albeit the Pole position Hulkenberg pulled out of almost nowhere. Saying this however, comparing the both is pretty hard as they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

I think the next season, 2011 will show who of the 2010 rookies are better and worth keeping in the sport.

What I do hate is how money seems to dictate who enters F1 now and that's what is ruining the sport as I am sure many great drivers are on the 'sidelines' as they may not have the green in sponsorship backing to get into Formula 1.

Again, IMO, F1 is the pinnacle of all motor sport and only drivers who have the speed and balls to drive should enter and not those who may or may not be mediocre drivers but with money behind them.

Thanks for your contributions this season Baldy, I love reading your posts bud! :2thumbs:;)

Vettel receives Championship trophy

Sebastian-Vettel-Jean-Todt_2539766.jpg

While Sebastian Vettel may have been won the Drivers' title nearly a month ago, the Red Bull driver had to wait until this week to be handed his trophy.

FIA chief Jean Todt presented the German with his trophy at the FIA's annual prizegiving gala in Monaco on Friday night, with the 23-year-old now officially crowned the youngest if F1 World Champion.

""This is an amazing evening for me and for the Red Bull Racing team. I'm thrilled to be here to collect the Driver's Championship Trophy, something I have dreamt of since I started racing," said Vettel.

"Winning the Championship is unbelievable; it marks an incredible season for us, with many ups and downs. We kept believing in our team, in our car and enjoyed every race.

"I would really like to thank all the Red Bull Racing team and Renault Engines for their efforts and dedication in ensuring we had such an amazing car this year. I am extremely proud of the success we have achieved together," he added.

On collecting the Constructors' trophy, Red Bull team principal was full of praise for both Vettel and his team-mate Mark Webber who finished third on the Drivers' standings.

"This has been a tough but incredible year for Red Bull Racing. Being presented with the Constructors' Championship Trophy is the perfect end to what has been an outstanding season for us," said the Briton.

"I would like to thank Sebastian and Mark for their hard work and dedication this year. Seb is the youngest ever Formula One World Champion and a very deserving one at that. His success is down to what he has done on the circuit and the team is immensely proud of what he has achieved.

"Mark has also done an incredible job this year. He took four grand prix victories and drove superbly this season. Both men are incredibly skilled drivers and it is a great pleasure to have them as part of our team," he added.

Is Wednesday D-Day for Petrov?

Vitaly-Petrov_2482033.jpg

It appears that Vitaly Petrov's future in F1 will be decided on Wednesday, with the Russian calling a press conference for next week.

Renault have not confirmed their driver line-up for next season, and after a mediocre debut in 2010 there has been plenty of speculation regarding his position at his team.

The 26-year-old has called a press conference for Wednesday at the Press Center of Television and Radio Russia where he will discuss his first season in F1 and 'share his plans for the future.'

Montezemolo reignites breakaway series talk

luca_di_montezemolo_ferrari_0512.jpg

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo has reignited the breakaway threat he led in 2009, suggesting Formula One is becoming a 'prison'.

The Italian's comments come as negotiations over the next Concorde Agreement, of which the current one ends in 2012, are underway behind the scenes.

The teams' are demanding an increase in the profits they receive from CVC and Bernie Ecclestone and, in the past, have threatened to form a separate series in order to achieve their goals.

Montezemolo suggested negotiations weren't going to plan between the two organisations, FOTA and CVC.

"We are at a crossroads," he told the Telegraph. "We have Formula One in our hearts and minds but we don’t want to be in a Formula One prison."

To escape the 'prison' he again suggested that the teams could leave in 2012 when the current agreement ends and either, stick with "the same business model", or form a completely new series, suggesting it wouldn't be difficult to find a new promoter.

"In the end we can always find a different promoter. At the end of the day this business is not so complicated."

The 63-year-old also noted the rising ticket prices were a concern and something the sport needs to look at as to not alienate the fans.

"My son can go around the world with his girlfriend for less than the price of two tickets to Monza," he added. "It’s nice to have new tracks but we need to be careful.

"We must keep the historic circuits, like Suzuka, Sao Paulo, Silverstone and Spa. It’s important to have heritage, credibility and history in Formula One."

Ford over Formula One for Raikkonen

Kimi-Raikkonen1_2512151.jpg

Rumours, or perhaps better put, dreams of Kimi Raikkonen returning to F1 have been dealt another blow with reports that he's on the verge of joining Ford.

According to reports in the Finnish press, Raikkonen, who left Formula One at the end of the 2009 season after parting ways with Ferrari, is set to swap from Citroen to Ford for next year's World Rally Championship.

"Funding for the project is coming especially from the United States, and Räikkönen might get an opportunity to also race in a few Nascar events in North America," claims Ilta-Sanomat.

Citroen, though, appear to still be keen on retaining the services of the 2007 F1 World Champ but admit that they are making no progress in their negotiations with Raikkonen.

MIKA: Let me guess, KR is asking for 'More money' but not performing to expectations? :rolleyes:

Alonso: Expect a better show in 2011

Fernando-Alonso_2535688.jpg

Fernando Alonso believes F1 could be in for a bumper season next year due to the introduction of several new regulations.

Next year's Championship will see the arrival of moveable wings as well as the return of the Kinetic Energy Recovery Systems (KERS).

While the moveable wing can be briefly activated to give the driver a straightline speed advantage of his rival, KERS will give the driver a power boost, which should also improve overtaking.

"Obviously every year normally Formula 1 changes rules to make it more spectacular, to have more overtaking manoeuvres and to have a better show," he said in a video interview at a gala event held by Ferrari sponsor Santander in Madrid.

"It's true that in 2011 there are two big changes to the regulations, which is the KERS and the rear wing that we can move when we have an overtaking possibility.

"I think these two combined give us a speed advantage that is quite big compared to the car in front.

"So I'm confident that next year, finally, the rules will help overtaking and we will have a better show for everybody."

However, aside from the moveable wing and KERS, Formula One will also be swapping to Pirelli tyres, which the Spaniard and his rivals tested in the wake of this year's Championship in Abu Dhabi.

And as long as the teams can get the tyres to perform and work the kinks out of KERS, which several of the teams used in 2009, Alonso reckons F1 is in for a "better show" in 2011.

"One of the most important is the tyres, which normally change the behaviour of the car, so we have to make sure that Pirelli is well coordinated with our car.

"Then we have the KERS, which comes back from 2009, and in 2011 will be a very important tool for overtaking and also for performance. We need to find a way of preparing the car to use the KERS in the best way possible.

"Then there is the moveable rear wing, that will try to make a better show, but also is a new area to experiment and exploit for performance."

As for the Championship, the double World Champ, who lost this year's title in the season finale to Sebastian Vettel, believes Ferrari will face tough competition next year from Red Bull, McLaren and Mercedes.

"When you drive for Ferrari there is only one goal, which is fighting for the World Championship," Alonso said.

"It's what people expect from Ferrari.

"I think there will be tough competition - Red Bull, Mercedes and McLaren will be very competitive, so we need to work very hard - better than the others - if we want to win, and that's what we're doing now.

"It's a very intense period of the year for us, the whole team at Maranello is working 24 hours a day to build a new Ferrari better than this one, and I think we will."

Big changes coming to F1 in 2013? The series needs more passing.

BBC SPORT

F1 cars to undergo major changes

Exclusive by Andrew Benson

Formula 1 cars are set for more radical changes in time for 2013 as bosses look to make the sport more efficient and potentially more exciting.

Cars will have much smaller wings and specially-shaped underfloors designed to generate downforce differently.

They will use 35% less fuel and be a little slower but more challenging to drive, although passing may be easier.

Drawn up by respected engineers Patrick Head and Rory Byrne, the rules would be the biggest design change since 1983.

The draft regulations, which were requested by governing body the FIA, are to be sent to teams this week ahead of a meeting in January of F1's Technical Working Group (TWG), which scopes out rule changes.

The TWG, which includes the design heads of each team, will discuss the proposals and suggest any changes they feel might need to be made.

But the fundamental philosophy that has been created is expected to remain intact.

The major changes will be:

* Much smaller front and rear wings;

* A far greater proportion of the total downforce of the cars will be created by the underfloor, compared to the wings;

* A major reduction in the amount of total downforce created by the car;

* To achieve this, the underfloor of the cars will be shaped along its length to generate downforce for the first time since the 1982 season - currently cars have bottoms that are flat between the wheels;

* The average proportion of a lap that a driver is able to spend on full throttle to be cut from 70% in 2010 to 50% in 2013;

* Tyres will remain large and chunky to ensure cornering speeds remain high.

Head, director of engineering for Williams, and Byrne, a former chief designer for Ferrari, have between them been involved in the design of cars that have won 17 constructors' titles for Williams, Benetton and Ferrari.

The pair started work on the new rules in March and have now presented a set of draft regulations to FIA race director Charlie Whiting, who will finalise them before sending them off to the teams.

"We are only going to have roughly 65% of the amount of fuel and a [limited] fuel [flow] rate - that was a given," said Head, talking exclusively to BBC Sport.

"We were just told 'That's what it will be, you've got to come up with a car spec that is not going to be more than five seconds a lap slower than a current F1 car'.

"So some circuit simulation was done by Rory at Ferrari and when we'd come up with some numbers in terms of drag and downforce it was then to try to come up with a geometry of a car that could try to achieve that."

Head and Byrne were charged with ensuring the new rules did not make overtaking any harder and, as it turns out, they could actually make passing easier.

That is because a car should lose less downforce when it is following another car if more of its total downforce is created by its underfloor rather than its wings.

This makes it easier for drivers to follow closely behind cars they are racing and therefore easier to pass.

Shaped undersides were banned in F1 at the end of the 1982 season because it was felt cornering speeds had got too fast and the cars too dangerous.

But back then they were used with skirts that touched the ground and sealed the low-pressure area, vastly increasing its efficiency.

This will be made impossible in 2013 by making the centre of the car lower than the sides.

Petrov keeps his Renault seat

petrovpic_2479566.jpg

Renault have confirmed Russian Vitaly Petrov as their second driver for the next two seasons.

Petrov had a frustrating debut season in Formula One, finishing more than 100 points behind team-mate Robert Kubica in the Drivers' Championship.

Although his bosses insisted throughout the season that Petrov was their "preferred choice" to partner Kubica next year, they admitted they were disappointed with his inability to show consistency.

However, he has clearly done enough to impress the powers that be and has signed a contract extension that ties him down to the team until 2012.

"I am very happy to continue with the team and proud to be representing Lotus Renault GP for the 2011 and 2012 seasons," Petrov said.

"I learned a lot about the sport, the circuits and the car this year. That will help me improve even more in the future. I am very excited about working with this great team once more, and I'm confident that I will deliver.

"In many ways, 2010 was about learning. 2011 will be about performing. Today, I feel I am ready to rise to this challenge."

Team boss Eric Boullier is confident the 26-year-old can build on a "promising 2010 campaign".

"We are very pleased to confirm that Vitaly will be staying with us for 2011 and 2012, in order that both he and the team can build on a promising 2010 campaign," Boullier said.

"The entire team has been working flat-out over the past months to improve our competitiveness, and a stable driver line-up is essential to achieving our targets.

"Robert Kubica provides a remarkable benchmark for both speed and consistency, and we are certain that Vitaly will move closer to this level of performance next year."

Renault F1 owner Gerard Lopez is delighted that the team now have a foothold in Russia.

"Thanks to Vitaly and the team, Russia is opening up to Formula 1," said Lopez. "Over the past few months, we've established close links with this country and with some of its strongest companies.

"We're looking forward to building on this special relationship and turning it into a very successful adventure over the next two seasons."

'Ferrari want Vettel to replace Massa'

Sebastian-Vettel_2535899.jpg

Ferrari President Luca di Montezemolo reckons it is only a matter of time before Sebastian Vettel is racing for the Scuderia.

Vettel, who became F1's youngest World Champion with his title triumph with Red Bull in 2010, has often been linked to Ferrari in the past.

Not only has the German admitted that racing for the Italian outfit would be "special" but now di Montezemolo has revealed he wants Vettel.

"Sebastian is fast, smart and young," he told Cologne tabloid Express. "Sooner or later he will be driving a red car."

The newspaper added that Ferrari are keen to have the German's services in 2012, teaming him up with Fernando Alonso as Felipe Massa's replacement.

Vettel, though, insists he is committed to Red Bull Racing: "I am a part of the Red Bull family."

However, even Red Bull team owner Dietrich Mateschitz admits his outfit could face a tough challenge retaining the German in the face of the "dream" of racing for Ferrari.

"It's a once in a life-time dream to drive for Ferrari but we will make leaving a difficult decision for him," said Mateschitz.

"We have so far been also quick to agree. And he wants to win."

MIKA: Alonso should get the Kleenex ready...He won't be pleased to have the spotlight taken off him. :D:)

FIA to propose windscreens to protect drivers?

windscreen-autosprint.jpg

Formula One cars could sport small windscreens in the near future according to a report via Italian website Autosprint.

The report suggests a small plexiglass shield could be introduced in response to accidents such as Felipe Massa in 2009 when he was struck on the head by a spring which worked its way loose from Rubens Barrichello's Brawn GP.

That accident came just days after Henry Surtees passed away during an F2 race when he was struck on the head by a loose wheel.

A more recent example would be that of Vitantonio Liuzzi's front-wing almost striking Michael Schumacher on the head on lap one of the Abu Dhabi GP.

Professor Sid Watkins, president of the FIA Institute for Motor Sport Safety, was commissioned to find a solution to such issues by the FIA last year.

Autosprint's reported solution would be able to support the full weight of an F1 car, 650kg, whilst providing the driver with full visibility in dry conditions.

MIKA: :)

Alonso not fazed by Vettel partnership

dne1011de18_2540247.jpg

Fernando Alonso insists he would have no qualms about having Sebastian Vettel as a team-mate.

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo recently spoke of his belief that the current World Champion would be driving 'a red car' in the near future, and Alonso has welcomed the prospect of racing alongside Vettel.

"I'm not afraid of Vettel," the Spaniard told Marca.

"Should he come to Ferrari one day, it won't be a problem."

Alonso endured a tumultuous season at McLaren in 2007 in which he is believed to have clashed with the team hierarchy over their failure to throw their weight fully behind his campaign, and Vettel too is no stranger to team-mate troubles.

The German and current Red Bull colleague Mark Webber clashed at times during the past season amidst claims that Vettel was favoured by the Austrian-owned team.

Despite the stiff competition that Vettel would provide the two-time World Champion, Alonso believes his has no reason to worry about being in the same team as the youngster.

"I'm not afraid to face any team-mate, I've never feared any of them," he explained.

"None of my team-mates have ever finished a season with more points than I have, so I don't see why I should be afraid of anyone."

The 29-year-old believes that Ferrari will produce a car capable of winning the World Championship next season, having often been outshone by Red Bull over the past year.

"I have no doubts that next year Ferrari will build the car that I want," he said.

"We [are] already very excited about it," the Spaniard added.

MIKA: Alonso seems to have forgotten about McLaren where he complained the entire time about hamilton. No fear, what a load of rubbish. :lifepreserver:

Montoya: I'm not coming back

JuanPabloMontoya_2521148.jpg

Juan Pablo Montoya has ruled out ever making a comeback in Formula One, saying that NASCAR is "more fun".

Montoya exited F1 in 2006 and has raced in NASCAR ever since, winning the 2007 NASCAR Nextel Cup Rookie of the Year award.

Despite his absence from the sport for some time, the Colombian remains a firm favourite among many fans. However, the driver insists he has no desire to return to Formula One.

"Some people tell me I should go back to F1, but I'm happy," he, told prensa.com.

"I think it is clear that there is no chance of going the other way at the moment."

The 35-year-old went on to say he wasn't particularly impressed with the final race of the F1 season.

"I saw the [Abu Dhabi] finale this year and it's like it has been all the time - one car is a second faster than another but he cannot pass," said the 35-year-old.

"They say the problem is the tracks but honestly F1 has always been the same," he added.

MIKA: Would be great to see JPM back in F1, that guy was fearless! :lifepreserver:

As for the tracks, I agree, I think F1 need to get a new designer and be rid of Herman Tilke.

Brawn: I won't quit

Ross-Brawn_2483557.jpg

Ross Brawn has dismissed speculation that he is ready to stand down as Mercedes GP team principal.

There have been plenty of reports claiming that the Brackley-based outfit's restructuring plans for 2011 will mean Brawn's influence will be "limited to a specific area". Others have suggested that the 55-year-old could retire altogether.

However, Brawn insists he's not ready to quit just yet.

"I will not resign until this team is successful," Brawn said in an interview with Germany's Auto Motor Und Sport.

When asked if Mercedes could repeat the miracle of 2009 when they won the double as Brawn GP, he replied: "The circumstances are different. In 2008 we had 750 people in Brackley and several hundred in Japan for Honda. We no longer have those numbers.

"It is true that we started the development of the 2011 car early, but that does not mean we have therefore put in more resources than the three teams [Red Bull, Ferrari and McLaren] ahead of us.

"No, we won't experience this fairy tale of 2009 for a second time. But I am sure that we will have a very good car. We will only know how good when we drive it. If it is as good as we think it is, then we have also the organisation in the back to develop it during the season."

MIKA: I'd hate too see RB leave F1 all together! :o

RB is one of the masterminds in F1, not forgetting one of the most influential people on the Ferrari team during Michael Schumachers' reign.

IMO, I believe Norbert Haugh is trying to rid Mercedes of him.

Ukraine sets sights on F1 race

44902_2.jpg

Ukraine has declared its interest in holding a Formula 1 race, with plans set in motion for a new circuit to be constructed in the vicinity of Kiev.

Regional chiefs in the Ukrainian capital revealed that an investor had been found to finance the estimated $1 billion project and that, in addition to the creation of a 3.2-mile circuit, vital infrastructure including access roads and hotels would also be built.

"We will build an international track in the Polissia and Ivankiv districts in order to host international competitions," Kiev’s regional state administration chief Anatoliy Prysiazhniuk was quoted as saying by the Kyiv Post newspaper at a press conference.

"I saw the project, and experts from Europe assessed it. The project was drafted by a person from Denmark who built the tracks in the [united Arab] Emirates, Singapore and other countries. The track will meet all modern requirements.”

Prysiazhniuk added that work on the circuit would begin in 2011 and that it should take “at most two years" to complete.

The eastern European country appears to be following in the footsteps of neighbouring Russia in pitching for a round of the F1 championship as part of a wider push for major sporting events.

While Russia had already secured the 2014 Winter Olympics for Sochi before landing a grand prix deal to start later in the same year, Ukraine is currently preparing to jointly host the 2012 European football championship with Poland.

But speaking earlier this week, Ukraine’s vice-prime minister Borys Kolesnikov said that securing the right to stage an F1 race was likely to prove more difficuilt than building the facility.

"It's no secret that the Formula 1 highway [circuit] costs about 200 million USD...to build a highway is not a problem, the problem is how to join this club,” he was quoted as saying on the Ukrainian government website.

"It is very difficult. It is not easier than to get the European Championship or the Olympic Games. European Championship, Olympic Games these are tournaments that take some period of time, but if you get Formula 1 [to] stage, this will have [to take] place every year."

The F1 calendar will expand to 20 races for the first time in 2011, but Bernie Ecclestone has indicated he wants that to be the upper limit in future, meaning some existing venues are likely to have to drop off the schedule over the forthcoming years given new races in Austin (2012) and Russia (2014) are already confirmed

Di Resta deserves 2011 drive – Stewart

59201_2.jpg

Jackie Stewart believes young countryman Paul di Resta has earned his shot at Formula 1 and would further strengthen next season’s grid should Force India promote him to a full-time drive.

Di Resta is vying with Force India incumbents Adrian Sutil and Tonio Liuzzi, along with Williams exile Nico Hulkenberg, for one of the two drives at the Silverstone-based for 2011, having impressed as the outfit’s third driver throughout this year.

And three-time world champion Stewart, Scotland’s most successful F1 driver, thinks that 24-year-old di Resta has shown he has both the speed and the technical ability to make the step up to motorsport's top level.

"I don't see any reason why Paul shouldn't be on the grid next year," Stewart was quoted as saying by the Edinburgh Evening News.

57522_1.jpg

"He's impressed everyone with what he's achieved during his Friday test sessions with Force India this year, and he's fast.

"But he's also very clever, astute and — from what I've heard — very good with his technical feedback. I definitely think he'd help strengthen the grid even more."

Di Resta, whose career has been backed by Force India technical partner Mercedes, did his chances of landing his first F1 drive no harm by clinching the German DTM touring car championship last month.

Writing on his personal website prior to Christmas, di Resta acknowledged this year had been an important one for him and expressed his desire to now secure the Force India drive.

“If someone had said 12 months ago I'd achieve all that in 2010, I'd have bitten their hand off,” he said.

“I have to say a huge thanks to everyone at Force India for the opportunity they gave me as test and reserve driver. Just being part of the team and working with them on a daily basis was a huge learning experience for me; and to take part in the number of Friday practice sessions I did throughout the season certainly allowed me to show what I'm capable of in a Formula 1 car.

“Everyone knows I'm determined to make the grade in F1 and graduate to a full race seat in 2011; that belief and intent remains and it's something I'm still very much focused on.”