Humidor temperature

I am considering purchasing a serious humidor, and am curious if I will need to purchase a temperaure system for the humidor. I live in Alaska, and shipping costs are going to kill me! The temperature in my home ranges from 63 during the day, and 70 in the evening. If I but this humidor, I have the option of just getting some quality humidifiers, and also the option to buy a temperature system. Is this variance in my home enough to require a temperature system?

I would plan to use this particular humidor for collecting and storing for maybe 5-10 years. I have other humidors in my office (with no temp. variance) I use for my other shorter-term boxes (about 70 boxes I am guessing).

Any help, ideas, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If you ever make it this far north, I invite you to enjoy a special cigar from this collection!

Greg

Well due to the dry conditions here in Alaska, my cigars seem to do better at 70%. But my concern is with the change in my home temperatures during the day/night. If I just buy the high quality humidifier, will that 63-70 degree change during the day create problems (keeping the same humidity inside the humidor?) Or, do I need to shell out another grand or so for the temperature system?

I don't believe that a gradual change such as that warrants either a heated or cooled humidor. What you may consider is buying an insulated cooler as Chuck suggests and logging the change in temperature throughout the day. If your average temperature is, as it certainly should be, between the 65 and 70 degrees, your cigars should be just fine. The fact is you should not expect better from a temperature controlled humidor.

I have made numerous temperature controlled humidors and I use them myself. It still makes me wonder why some people choose to use them when they don't need them. I would not use a temperature controlled humidor if I did not need to.

I don't believe that a gradual change such as that warrants either a heated or cooled humidor. What you may consider is buying an insulated cooler as Chuck suggests and logging the change in temperature throughout the day. If your average temperature is, as it certainly should be, between the 65 and 70 degrees, your cigars should be just fine. The fact is you should not expect better from a temperature controlled humidor.

I have made numerous temperature controlled humidors and I use them myself. It still makes me wonder why some people choose to use them when they don't need them. I would not use a temperature controlled humidor if I did not need to.

Agreed.

Using a quality cooler will reduce and slow the temperature swings to less than the full scale that you see in your house and should maintain a mean temp that is well within range for safe cigar storage.

With a good seal, a coolidor will maintain RH and is an excellent alternative to expensive large humidors (especially humidors with temp control).

As temps swing so does RH.

Maintaining a steady RH is much easier when the temp is constant within a few degrees.

I control the temp in an entire room, but I would not do so unless it wasn't necessary.

I am trying to imagine a cooler you use. I imagine opening and closing it a lot to check on the humity. I imagine a humidifier taking up much of the room inside the cooler. I am imagining not being able to use any electronic humification system because the cord would leave the cooler partially open. What am I missing? How large are these coolers? How do you keep higher needed humidity inside them?

Any leads on coolers you like to use? This sounds much cheaper than my idea, and more wife friendly (space.)

I was considering a humidor that holds 100 boxes. I wonder how many of these coolers it would take to accomplish this? I see myself frantically opening one after another trying to maintain proper humidity. I see coolers everywhere. LOL

I am trying to imagine a cooler you use. I imagine opening and closing it a lot to check on the humity. I imagine a humidifier taking up much of the room inside the cooler. I am imagining not being able to use any electronic humification system because the cord would leave the cooler partially open. What am I missing? How large are these coolers? How do you keep higher needed humidity inside them?

Any leads on coolers you like to use? This sounds much cheaper than my idea, and more wife friendly (space.)

With a cooler, no you wouldn't use electronic humidification. Humidity beads are what most people use with coolers. They regulate the humidity to a set RH%, and you have a choice to buy them in 60%, 65% or 70%, and they both release and absorb moisture to keep the RH at the set percentage, so you don't need to check your humidity often - in fact you don't even need a hygrometer when you use beads. The coolers they're referring to are just regular Coleman or Igloo coolers, the kind you fill with ice, beer and food. They buy the big ones generally, haha. I don't have enough cigars to own coolers, so I couldn't personally estimate for you how many you'd need for 100 boxes, but the biggest ones generally hold a ton of cigars for well under $100.

I don't know about the other guys, but I use this type:

http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/Pages/P...rod_ID=RP091227

relatively inexpensive through Sam's Club when I got my last one.

Any of the 5+ day coolers should suffice, though.

Also, with the seals of these style coolers you don't need a humidifier, instead use humidity beads(much more stable and easier maintenance). Here's a link to one of our members sites:

http://www.cigarmony.com/humidification.aspx

Also, I use a combination (for sanity) of an adjustable digital hygrometer and a remote hygrometer so I don't keep opening the cooler up:

http://www.cigarmony.com/digitalhygrometers.aspx

I couldn't find an exact match of mine, probably because it's older. There are probably better options out there now, similar to this:

http://www2.oregonscientific.com/cat-Bundl...68-sensors.html

Thanks so much for the information. I am going to give this a try. I may even try an empty cooler for now, just to try it out. Or throw in some Mont. Eagles or something!

One more question: I have noticed that most beads do not get up to the 65-70% here in Alaska for some reason. Even inside quality humidifiers. Are there better quality ones?

I have also noticed that I can't get electronic hygrometers that even come close to the actual humidity. I have used wireless ones..etc. None seem to work good. I finally bought some high quality analog hygrometers that are the hair ones from Italy. Those are dead on. Are there any high quality wireless out there?

Thanks so much! Come visit the Greatland, and well fire up some aged cigars. If it is from the system you recommend, and it doesn't work out, you get to chose from the dried out ones from your humidor! LOL

Anyone want to meet for a Cristal in Habana at the Festival?

Greg,

I typically keep my humidor around 65 degrees and 63% Rh. Have you considered just using large Cooler's for your storage needs?

I too keep mine at these settings.

That being said, if your round the year temps are 63 - 70 then you dont need a chilled unit. Here, with summer time temps hitting 90+ F and high humility it is a must for me in my house.

+1 for the wireless hygro; it keeps yo ufrom not only having to open the unit(s) to check the RH, but from having to even walk to them. I use them in 3 of my fridgadors in the basement, and the readout on my fridge in the main floor kitchen works greta despite the distance and any fridge walls.

One more question: I have noticed that most beads do not get up to the 65-70% here in Alaska for some reason. Even inside quality humidifiers. Are there better quality ones?

Some good advice from the guys already. The simple answer is to use more beads - you can't have too many, but you can have too few, and consider

adding ancillary water as needed - a small bowl(s) within the cooler, instead of totally soaking down the beads.

I think you'll find that an insulated, airtight container such as a cooler will maintain a very stable environment with little fuss, especially where it sounds

like you don't experience extreme swings in temp and humidity.

One of the remote thermometers you mentioned in the picture I already use for outside temperatures. Although the temperature part works flawlessly, I think the humidity part is way off. It either says something like 95%, or 40%. The 40% part may be correct here in Alaska. I think I'll take it down tonight and throw it into my humidor just to check.

Ok, does anyone have any sources for RE Cubans? Just kidding. Does anyone have sources for a good, high quality wireless hygro? Maybe one designed specifically for cigars? I once tried the "Cigar Caddy", or the 'Cigar Buddy", or something like that, and it never came close!

I see that lots of beads claim that you do not need to add anything. Do you recommend adding Glycerol to them?

There's nothing wrong with beads but i recommend using boveda packets which act the same as beads without needing to add glycol as they are one time use. I also use a cooler in the mountains of Colorado with little to no outside humidity. Coolers are the way to go for cheap, reliable and convenient humidors especially in dry places. You need not to worry about opening the cooler to check up on humidity if using a bead or boveda system since they are designed for monthly monitoring, and the insulated walls will protect the temperature fluctuations that you have better than a humidor.

Last but not least, even with the dry climate, i've been aging all my cigars at low 60's in temp and humidity and placing the sticks i want to smoke in a small humidor with higher humidity a week before i smoke them...too much risk in high humidity and temp for aging, keep it safe.

beads only use distilled water as anything else will clog them. As for hygrometers(as stated previously), I use the oregon scientific (with the holes enlarged for quicker acclimation?) and an adj. digital hygro that I calibrate with a boveda humidi-pak. The only thing on top of that I use is feel...

Vedado, you live in one of the easiest climates in the world to age cigars in coolers. You really don't need climate control.. it is pretty much cold all the time!! :whistle: I've been ageing cigars in the same climate for over ten years with great results.

You can't beat the use of coolers and beads. This storage method gives you the greatest amount of low maintenance storage for the least amount of cost bar none. My advice.. spend your money on cigars not fancy humidors, and expensive, and high maintenance temperature, and humidity control systems.

If you live in a multi-story house, use a basement closet located in the interior of the house with no exterior walls. I like the large 150 qt marine igloo coolers, but any high quality cooler will do, just make sure it has a good seal on the lid that woohses when you close it. My coolers, with an adquate amount of 65% beads, maintain a very stable humidity year round with very little maintenance. I use the Oregon scientific remote monitoring system which allows you to receive data from up to three sensors, which means I can monitor the humdity/temp in three coolers from up to 100 feet away without opening the coolers or closet from one central command post. :rotfl: My temperature varies between 62-65 degrees F year round. I only have to add a bit of water to the beads once maybe twice a year and only during the Winter.

Really the only thing you really want to avoid is rapid changes in humidity/temp so don't stress on every little change in the temp/humidity. So remember to have fun and try the cooler beads system. I think you will be very pleased with the results and relative low cost and maintenance. Good luck!

I see that lots of beads claim that you do not need to add anything. Do you recommend adding Glycerol to them?

Do not add anything but distilled water to beads. Ever. They like to clog up with impurities, such as those found in tap water, and glycol will be terrible for them; again, only distilled water EVER. They are manufactured to maintain whatever relative humidity you like; do not try anything else in combination - it isn't necessary anyway.

I've been using a UPM wireless weather station with 3 transmitters for a few years now, and just love the setup. The transmitters are small to keep in the humi(s), the base station has great range, and it cycles through all 3 transmitters shpwing temp/RH for each as well as a bar graph of the past 24hrs of fluctuation. Oh- and it was affordable. $29 for the base station and 1 transmitter, and each additional transmitter is $10-15. It can accomodate up to 3 transmitters per base.

Totem, Rona and Canadian Tire carry them- not sure what you have up there.

http://www.upm-marketing.com/products/Prod...=%22%290%24U%0A

Ok, does anyone have any sources for RE Cubans? Just kidding. Does anyone have sources for a good, high quality wireless hygro? Maybe one designed specifically for cigars? I once tried the "Cigar Caddy", or the 'Cigar Buddy", or something like that, and it never came close!

I use and like this

http://www.2ndstreet-cigars.com/fm-wirelesshygro.html

Bart

MODS: Lets move to Humidor Section so we can keep track of this great thread :party:

I use and like this

http://www.2ndstreet-cigars.com/fm-wirelesshygro.html

Bart

MODS: Lets move to Humidor Section so we can keep track of this great thread :party:

Bart,

Can you calibrate these or you you just make a note of the +/-?

Thanks for everyone's help! I bought the cooler, ordered the beads, and now just need to find the hygrometer. That has always been the challenge for me. I have only had sucess with analog ones. Digital are off by nearly 10-20% here in Alaska for some reason! I just threw a digintal into my deshtop humidor last night for the fun of it, and it is off 17%. That is WAY too much. I must have a drawere full of bad digitals.

Thanks to all, and Happy New Year!