Hygrometer accuracy

Peacock

I just bought a new foot locker style humidor to hold some cigars I'm aging. I also bought a little desktop one for a friend for Christmas. Included in the purchase I picked up 2 hydrostat digital hygrometers and the calibration kits. I already have 1 hydrostat digital that I have been using for about 6 months that I have trusted.

I used the calibration kit on all three and got them calibrated to the 75% Rh as described on the calibration kit. Lo and behold..(I love that line) I put all three hygrometers in my active humidor and now have 3 different readings 63%, 67% and 68%. I have tried to maintain 67% since day one, but now I am questioning the accuracy of these little machines. The temperature display is just as inconsistent with three different temps.

What do I do? Is there a reasonably priced ACCURATE hygrometer available? Or do I figure that the amount it is off (give or take 4%) isn't really going to matter.

Any decent instrument will either be certified or you will be able to buy a certification for it. If you can't buy a certification then more than likely the instrument itself is not worthy of the certification. There are some freaky people around (like me) who like to know that the measurements that they are taking are accurate but chasing the numbers can be a discouraging game. You had better take stock of what you are trying to achieve if you are willing to purchase certified high resolution instruments. Now don't get me wrong I am not lecturing. I am just stating that once you get high resolution instrumentation be prepared to reject your humidor, it could happen! I have been down this road and have a little experience here so for the best free advice I would ask you if your cigars smoke well? If the answer is yes then how much is it worth to know that your cigars are actually at 63RH verses 65RH? If you are enjoying your cigars, then what a less than accurate instrument tells you, or what 3 of them tell you, is of little consequence. Follow your palate or spend the money. A certified instrument with display can cost you upward of $150 bucks depending on what you want from it.

Lastly this. If you buy a fast sampling, hi resolution certified instrument you had better have a window in your humidor. Because the minute you open the door it will reflect readings on the outside air. If you don't have a glass top or front... forget it!

- Prof. Piggy

In my experience, all hygros have a certain degree of fudge factor. And depending on the size of your humi, there can be differing RH in different areas.

For me, a minor variation in RH is not much to worry about. As long as it isn't in the 70s or 50s region, then I'm not that worried.

1. Piggy is correct

2. Some other things that have helped me is:

- Buy the Boveda hygrometer test, its easier to do than the salt test and can be used multiple times

- After you get your final readings after 24-48 hours of testing, mark down on the hygrometer the difference +/- you are off for future reference

- Change the batteries every 6-9 months

Bart

Once again Piggy is right. I'll also add that you should just get an overkill amount of 65% beads and as long as your hygrometer is reading consistent (whatever that # is) your good to go. Spray em down with distiller water when the hygro drops a couple points. If after a month or two you feel they are smoking a little dry or wet add to your current stash of beads with some 70% or 60% beads depending on which direction you prefer. The beads are the only way to go IMO.

Yep... Piggy speaks the truth. I used to worry about hygrometer readings. These days I hardly pay attention. If my cigars crack when I cut the top they are too dry. If they draw horribly and taste like a damp sponge they are too wet.

If your humidor falls somewhere in the 60 to 69 range you are fine. the cigars will tell you when they are not happy.

As I have a majority of non Cuban's in my Humi (that trend is slowly changing) I keep it between 69-72%. I use the one hygro, and some 70% hydro's. Basiclly, I keep a vague eye on the %rh, but use feel and smell of the cigars in the humi. I can tell if they are too wet or dry, so I adjust as necessary.

I will be changing out to 68% beads from heartfelt very soon, and I dont think I will have a worry in the world. As long as I can keep the fridge-a-dore temp under control, I just let it go.

I do know of guys that have 3-4 hygros, and take the average of them.

Good luck mate

After reviewing all of the sage advice bestowed upon me (I am not worthy!) I have decided that my cigars smoke great where I've kept them, so I guess I shouldn't be so anal about a percent or two. One of the hygrometers is all over the place with its readings, so I'm guessing I may have a bad one. The other two are close, so I'll run with those.

Thanks for the input fella's, I appreciate it. Need to do a bit more research on 'beads'.

Randy

Great info indeed. The only problem is "I have to know"! Salt works also but the Boveda packs are dead on. I have analytically tested dozens and charted the result by temp and % of RH and there is a bunch of junk on the market. I am curious as to the name brand of the digital hygrometers you have. There are 3 that are calibratable and are close to the best avail for under $25. I still have more questions as to where you did your testing. If a different room with a different temp could be an issue. After all the hygro is only reading "relative humidity? Relative to what you ask? That comes later. LOL Once again I would have to know. 2* and 2% off can cost you an entire cigar collection. I can't can't allow that to happen.

All three are HygroSet brand from Humidipack. They were all repeatedly calibrated with the humidipak calibration pack. The testing was done 4 inches from my humididors. I ordered a couple more humidpak calibration packs for retesting. Thanks for the help!

Randy

Hi Randy. They will set perfect and accurate. You can also use the salt test and the boveda will last for 3 months if sealed. Place it in the bag and get the readout.

Once you have noted the difference between what your hygro reads and 75%, pull the hygro out and carefully turn the adjustment knob clockwise to increase the reading, or counterclockwise to reduce the reading.

1 click is 1% The click when you turn the knob can be hard to feel.

The display will NOT change while you are doing this. You have to press the black "Set" button for the hygro to accept the change after you turn the adjust knob.

When you press the set button, the screen will clear itself and then return showing the calibrated reading.

Now do this again to make sure you have 75% you want to confirm.

It could take a few times because the unit is so sensative.

Hope this helps.