Comeback Cigars

I had planned a quiet weeeknd with the family but an old friend off my neighbours popped in from interstate so we got together for a bottle of wine and a cigar.

With some trepidation I chose a couple of Rafael Gonzalez Corona Extra from 2000 the box of which has always been a woeful disappointment. Good looking cigar just a complete absence of flavour to date.

Well yesterday was a revelation with this RG. Just short of mediim boded, smooth as silk with a lovely interplay of flavours ranging from clove, cream coffee, light tobacco, toast. Still a way to go to be a 90 cigar but 9 years has made a huge difference to this box. Certainly not worth the wait at this point but with more than half a box remaining I have some hope of some stellar days in the future.

The only one I can truly say made a comeback is a box of '99 Punch Royal Seleccion No. 11's. These babies were down for the count, and I would have given 'em away, except I wouldn't do that to anyone but you Colt. The last one I sampled was tremendously flavorful and sweet, all the way down to the nub. A veritable zombie smoke... back from the dead.

Just smoked a 08 tonite mind blowing good very rich in flavor med to almost

full.

I have to say I like them better than my 01 's and they are pretty dam good to.

Happy you loved the smoke Rob..

I would have given 'em away, except I wouldn't do that to anyone but you Colt.

On the other hand Colt if it was you I would have brought out the aged Quintero's :o

feel the love........

Ayala, were I ever to darken your doorstep you can rest assured I'd help myself.

I am going to challenge you on a different note Rob. Smoke the rest of the box or do a review with Czar gang. I think that you have just smoked a good one or just smoked up all the bad ones!!!!

I find it impossible to condemn a box of cigars until they are all smoked. I also find that almost all of us condemn or praise some cigars with the smallest of sample sizes.

The question is this. Would the cigars that you previously smoked and vilified be good today? I am going to venture out on a limb and say a lousy cigar is forever going to be a lousy cigar. Cigars are lesser about timing and more about consistent, quality construction and quality materials. There may be reasons why good cigars are not at their best, but time never makes a lousy cigar a good one!

If I ever visit... remind me to select my own cigars from the shop and not bother to visit your private stock!!! -LOL

I am going to challenge you on a different note Rob. Smoke the rest of the box or do a review with Czar gang. I think that you have just smoked a good one or just smoked up all the bad ones!!!!

I find it impossible to condemn a box of cigars until they are all smoked. I also find that almost all of us condemn or praise some cigars with the smallest of sample sizes.

The question is this. Would the cigars that you previously smoked and vilified be good today? I am going to venture out on a limb and say a lousy cigar is forever going to be a lousy cigar. Cigars are lesser about timing and more about consistent, quality construction and quality materials. There may be reasons why good cigars are not at their best, but time never makes a lousy cigar a good one!

If I ever visit... remind me to select my own cigars from the shop and not bother to visit your private stock!!! -LOL

Overall I don't disagree Piggy but cigars with one caveat. Muted one dimensional cigars can blossom with time. There is muted and there is muted however. You can have a young cigar with obviously quality tobacco which appear almost flavourless. You can have young cigars with crap tobacco, crap blend, little love and no future.

I don't thinkk the Monte Opens would be good today :o

Oddly enough, I usually agree with Piggy and Pres. In this case I have to question the reasoning from the both of you.

I myself have never experienced of a flavorless cigar that in time becomes flavorful. Are you sure it was the same box Pres? I would like nothing better than for that to be true. I have too many cigars that –as a fellow member stated– are like smoking air. How long do I wait? Will ten years be long enough? I hope more people will post on this topic in support of Pres. I could use some hope.

I have had plenty of 'lousy' boxes that with time have become very good, these are cigars that offer-up something, problem is you just can't tell what it is. Didn't most of the young cigars pre '06 have muted, dark, raw, unbalanced and confused flavors? I would say lousy. And didn't most of these come around and even become great smokes? Some of my favorites cigars came from boxes that were awful for the first five years, and then each successive year after that they became better and better. Thats not good ones and bad ones, that's just essential aging.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, I have not smoked enough cigars, or smoke long enough, but I have not come across this issue yet. The only utterly flavorless cigar I have smoked was a Macanudo. There was a AVO that came close as well. Never a Cuban, tough the Rafael Gonazalez cigars that I have smoked a very light and mild compared to most Cubans, except for maybe the Fonseca. But I find there is something to be said for these smokes during the right occasions.

full.

I agree....my '01's are pathetic, while my '05's are fantastic.

full.

Agreed! Bought one for my mate who was coming over for a smoke. I thought I had one or two from an 03 box left but upon checking the humidor, nada. Grabbed one while picking up some other smokes from czars and my mate still raves about the experience 3 months later!

These go on the list of smokes I have to re-stock up on for sure.

As for comeback cigars, I have a box of 04 Boli CJ's that were great fresh off the bat and have been awful ever since. Lit one up on the way back to Brisbane from the office last month and it was brilliant!

Oddly enough, I usually agree with Piggy and Pres. In this case I have to question the reasoning from the both of you.

I myself have never experienced of a flavorless cigar that in time becomes flavorful. Are you sure it was the same box Pres? I would like nothing better than for that to be true. I have too many cigars that –as a fellow member stated– are like smoking air. How long do I wait? Will ten years be long enough? I hope more people will post on this topic in support of Pres. I could use some hope.

I have had plenty of 'lousy' boxes that with time have become very good, these are cigars that offer-up something, problem is you just can't tell what it is. Didn't most of the young cigars pre '06 have muted, dark, raw, unbalanced and confused flavors? I would say lousy. And didn't most of these come around and even become great smokes? Some of my favorites cigars came from boxes that were awful for the first five years, and then each successive year after that they became better and better. Thats not good ones and bad ones, that's just essential aging.

Where I respectfully disagree with you my friend is that you never smoked "the same unsmoked" cigar twice!!! Knowing what we all know about how CC's are made, by many a roller, on different days, possibly at different locations and only boxed according to code; while one can "believe" in the evolution of a cigar one cannot prove it.

Now for fairness sake I admit that I too agree that cigars can "change." But I do also "believe," as I too cannot prove my position, that a flavorless cigar will never have the key components to "change" for the better and forever remain flavorless. I think that a cigar must have the right stuff there insider her at her birth or she will never blossom. If that were not the case anyone could roll a good cigar! It would just be a matter of waiting for it. As we know, this is not the case. Great cigars are born great. They may mature for the better, but the best start with the proper materials, put together in the proper proportions.

I am always up for spirited debate however so thanks for stepping in! -Piggy