The birth of the Cigar "Smoke Easy"

I was recently having a cigar with a mate overseas. Smoking bans mean't that there were no divans or half decent clubs you could get to and enjoy a cigar. "No problem" he said. "I know a place".

15 minutes later in a Toyota Crown taxi which had seen better days and we were in a semi industrial district outside a ramshackled warehouse building with a solitary black door to the outside and no signage.

Two taps, some correspondence in the local lingo and we were in. Well well well....what a pleasant surprise. Welcome to a private club of 100 members where 50 must have been in attendance this Tuesday night. Big screen TV's, rudimentaty bar, lounges on a concrete slab floor, music, cigar humidor, a cabinet with one of the worlds great selections of aged Whiskeys. I must also comment on two exceptionally hot waitresses.

I was introduced to the owner who was a middle aged well dressed woman with piercing black eyes who insisted upon complete privacy...no photo's, no names. She asked me my drink of choice. After a long lunch followed by a long dinner....Tanqueray Martini Super Dry. I had cigars with me but I like to support such establishments so I asked one of the the waitresses (did I mention they were hot :P ) if I could purchase a partagas 898 V. Before long a fine 898 specimen was in front of me and the waitress commenced the fine ritual of cutting and lighting.

I asked what time they closed. "When the last member leaves" was the reply.

We spent until 4am in the establishment. It may simply be the "inner pirate" but there was something quite edgy and magical about the place. One central table had 12 members playing poker. Another set of lounges had six members arguing robustly about the pro's and cons of English Premier league againt the Spanish and Italian leagues. The membership appeared an even mix of expats and locals.

Before I left I thanked the owner for the opportunity to share her "club". Ever gracious she went on to tell me that I could become a member with 51% of the membership agreeing. Fees were the equivalent of $1500 USD a year, new members were submitted quarterly with the vote taking place the following quarter. Few new members were put up for approval as getting a 51% vote was a tough ask. Membership came with no paperwork, no badge, no card. Each member was entitled to bring one guest for whom that member was completely responsible. The guest must be approved by the owner by telephone prior to arrival.

I must say that while the conditions of membership were exclusive, the actual club membership had no snobbishness at all. Everyone was friendly and engaging.

I paid my account. Interestingly, the receipt had the name of a social religious group.

Over the last two years I have been to several similar inclandestine clubs in Europe and Asia. I hear of one in Melbourne but I have yet to visit.

Is this the future of cigar clubs globally? Underground smoke easy's put together with friends who passionately protect the privacy of the club?

Reminded me so much of what I have read of the 1920's prohibition era.

Almost sounds like a scene from "Eyes Wide Shut" when the main character stumbles upon that

mysterious cult

and its very secretive. Sounds kinda like smoking a cuban in the States... Its a taste of that forbidden fruit.

Sounds like a nice place and one that would grow if the membership wanted, yet by keeping it small and exclusive, maintains the privacy. Unfortunately, I do believe that this type of establishment is the future of cigar smokers having a haven to simply lite up and enjoy a cigar outside of their home.

Reminded me so much of what I have read of the 1920's prohibition era.

This is what I was alluding to (only half jokingly) in the Mr. Jordan thread. It's so painfully obvious where this is headed that it's absurd.

It really just goes to show that humans are either incapable or unwilling to learn from our own history - we shall see.

Oh, and I believed your tale - up until the part about them letting you join.......

Definitely a good idea. Got me thinking a bit. If you could somehow get cigar smoking to be recognized as an official religion, then you may be able to have smoking legalized in your "places of worship" as an inseperable part of your faith. Can't remember exactly how many official "followers" you need to start a new religion (remember something about the Jedi Knights trying to do it...).

Still, I take great pleasure being able to light up anywhere I want. The other day I went to a restaurant where the seating was quite tight. Lit up a Lusi. Despite the fact that people around me were eating at about 1.5 meters distance, no-one said anything. I know Russia cops a lot of slack in Western media about not being a "free" country. But I often feel a lot more free here than I ever did in Australia..

Oh, and I believed your tale - up until the part about them letting you join.......

I didn't stand a chance. I would have had two votes including the waitress (although that vote disappeared around 3am).

Sounds like a great place. Thanks for sharing your experience...

Definitely a good idea. Got me thinking a bit. If you could somehow get cigar smoking to be recognized as an official religion, then you may be able to have smoking legalized in your "places of worship" as an inseperable part of your faith. Can't remember exactly how many official "followers" you need to start a new religion (remember something about the Jedi Knights trying to do it...).

Not a bad idea! I think you can find some cues on how to set it up using Rastafarianism as an example. Judging from some of the posts I see hear from time to time, it appears that your consultant base is near at hand....

Re the Jedis, if I remember correctly there was a drive to get people to nominate Jedi on their Australian census forms and if they got enough (not sure how many) then "Jedi" would be a 'tick the box' religion on future census forms alongside RC, Presbyterian, etc. :P

But seriously, as Colt says, the absurdity of it is amazing. If this is what we have to do then sign me up. :(

I know Russia cops a lot of slack in Western media about not being a "free" country. But I often feel a lot more free here than I ever did in Australia..

I LOVE this country, and in terms of the natural environment, outdoor lifestyles, friendly people etc it certainly is free. However, just go down to the beach (or anywhere really) and see the dozens of signs prohibiting you from doing something another (no smoking,no dogs, no boardies, safety stuff, fines etc). I've only traveled a little but other countries don't seem to have this... Its not so much "big brother" its more granny state.

Haha most of my mates did the jedi thing too!

But seriously, as Colt says, the absurdity of it is amazing. If this is what we have to do then sign me up. :(

Absurd, yes. But necessary. As adult, free-thinking human beings, you deserve to make you own decisions. This applies to smoking cigars. If someone - i.e. the government - is trying to take this personal freedom away, then you need to do everything you can to take it back. No matter how cunning or absurd the method. Honestly, there are stranger, more dangerous religions in the world than a cigar-smoking religion. I don't see what the problem would be.

BTW, the priests of the cigar religion would be called "Brothers of the Leaf". :P

I LOVE this country, and in terms of the natural environment, outdoor lifestyles, friendly people etc it certainly is free. However, just go down to the beach (or anywhere really) and see the dozens of signs prohibiting you from doing something another (no smoking,no dogs, no boardies, safety stuff, fines etc). I've only traveled a little but other countries don't seem to have this... Its not so much "big brother" its more granny state.

Haha most of my mates did the jedi thing too!

Sorry mate, don't get me wrong. I love it too :(

Though some laws can be a bit restrictive!

This is what I was alluding to (only half jokingly) in the Mr. Jordan thread. It's so painfully obvious where this is headed that it's absurd.

It really just goes to show that humans are either incapable or unwilling to learn from our own history - we shall see.

What? How dare you think for yourself! Next, you will be making decisions all on your own, blasphemy! :(

The moral police (AKA hypocrites) aren't going anywhere, sadly. It seems to be an evil that just repeats itself as, "they" deem, necessary.