super old cigars

In a bar the other night, I was surprised to find hidden away at the back of the wine menu a vintage cigar list. Amongst them was a 1920s Por Larrañaga 'Festivos', a petit corona. I was in a rush so will go back sometime to see how they actually store their smokes, but that aside, I have zero experience with real vintage cigars so would it be any good?

I would have assumed that even kept in ideal conditions for the last 90 years it would pretty much crumble if you so much as gave it a gentle squeeze. They had a few other interesting ones but this one stood out because of the extraordinary age, the next closest being from the 70s.

Has anyone smoked cigars of this age? What are they like - if they're still in one piece I'd have guessed they become a bit flat but I've no idea. Would love to hear from someone who's into this type of thing.

:)

Would you ever really regret purchasing and smoking this cigar :)

Vintage cigars are a crapshoot. It could be magnificent, it could be underwhelming or it could be shithouse but I always love to find out.

Oldest I have smoked is late 1800's. It was ....Ok

Storage discipline is the key but who knows how they were really stored.

When smoking a vintage cigar I like to google and print the major happenings of that year. I read it as I smoke accompanied by an aged rum. Amazing to think about what was happening in that period of history. You immediately feel part of it.

Experience it.

I'll defo keep it in mind for later, perhaps for a special occasion.

Not sure if I'm supposed to post prices of 3rd party cigars on this site - I do have a copy of the whole cigar menu if I can post that?

From a different place, but I've smoked some of the 1997 Vegas Robaina DC they stock.... what can I say other than :):D:clap:

In addition to my last message, I found on the web, that Cigar Aficionado tasted the same cigar (PL Festivos), but from 1930. They gave it a 92. At the time, the cigar was 73.

As is probably usual for cigars this age, the date was just '1920s', unlike everything form the 70s onward which had an exact date. So I wouldn't be surprised if it was from the same batch - at that age unless you're very lucky with antiques there's a lot of guess work so assume is same for cigars.

Wonder if CA smoked 1" then chucked it....

The cigar from the late 1800's was gifted by a well know British gent when we were in Havana this year. Sworn to secrecy.

Post away the price list. I am intrigued as to what this place in HK holds :)

ok, here it is. I've thrown in some other currencies to make it easier to read. TBH, these might be dead cheap for all I know but the Davidoffs esp are outrageous surely. You could fly to Cuba instead for the price of one! You could probably fly back in time for the price of a whole box....

Anyway, I've already tried the Vegas Robaina Double Corona which was simply fantastic, and not cripplingly expensive.

Enjoy.

vintagecigarmenuprices-1.jpg

Nothing wrong with those prices mate :)

yeah, I can see where this is going....

Perhaps we could run a scheme where other FoH members 'sponsor' me to sample these cigars on their behalf, thus sharing the experience with everyone. I would shoulder that burden for the team. :D

....you just went a step too far :):D

Ah, was worth a shot. There is a tragic inevitability that I will be unable to stay away from these.....this bar is 30yards from my apartment for god's sake.

Would be good to hear from the cigar scholars out there if there are any gems/duds on this list. Will check out their storage facilities this evening. This could be the start of a long and expensive journey....or perhaps short and expensive, we shall see!

The 95 Lusi, the 76 Boli Corona extra and, especially, the the 1920's Por Larranaga would suit me just fne... Think you should get me a sample so I may reach and informed decision. :)

What were storage conditions like back in the late 19th and 20th Century? I know there were cigar smokers then but were there collectors who aged their stock or is that a recent phenomena?

Well....not much worse than now I'd have thought. Turns out they have just one desktop humidor - the waiter tried to open the box from the hinge side ffs, I had to turn it round for him so they didn't all go flying. All the cigars were thrown in together with just one divider. Gauge read about 78% RH. Had two of the 1920s PLs. They looked....pretty minging to be honest, like they were almost a century old...

The bar has been open for about 2yrs, so I'd imagine they've been sitting in near 70-80% humidity for much of that time since they were (probably) bought all at once just to make the menu look cool. They looked genuine enough, although the labels on the PLs were still a reasonably shiny gold...I expected them to be really faded. The Davidoffs had an appropriate faded yellow band though. Despite the less than ideal storage condition the cigars all looked and felt ok. There was nothing untoward like excessive bloom or legions of beetles crawling around.

Of the bunch, I'd say the most appealing in appearance were the Bolivar, both Cohibas and the SLR but sitting in a bar isn't exactly ideal to assess properly.

I think, I'll go back when it's less busy and speak to the manager to find out where they came from etc., try and see if they're chicken soup. Like I said I'm not really clued up when it comes to vintage cigars, but it was nonetheless a bit sad to see these examples being treated like cheap tubos at a bar - I sort of wanted to offer to look after them properly. It was a bit like seeing a load of unloved dogs at a resuce centre.

Still, perhaps a one off review is in order...I just need a reason to celebrate :)

Well you said the VR DC was good and that likely sat for 2 years in the same condition under your theory that they were all bought at once. I would stick with the lower end ones work your way up if they are good.

95 Mag 46? Yes please.

It was - but the two I received were given to me by someone else who I'm pretty sure didn't get them from this place. Possibly from the same cab but who knows.

Only one way to find out if they're ok I guess... :D

if they have been stored well, i would think those prices make it obligatory to work your way through them. had a box of the SLR c'chills and they were mixed but the good ones thoroughly enjoyable.

sounds like a great find all round.

Interesting - I assumed they were steep as pretty much anything you buy in a bar or restaurant has a big markup.

...hold on. I just googled the PLs and found this:

Christie's auction

although those were dated 1939 and sold in 2000, so there's a 20yr+ difference in age. Plus in a box of 50 so I guess the bar price is reasonable. Somebody stop me :)

I agree with Rob very old cigars is a crap shoot. When you shoot and hit the pile you know you have crap. I recomend you buy some great new cigars and enjoy the flavors and not the old stuff that you had better enjoy the idea of the cigar and the nostalgia cuase the flavors are mostly gone.