Falling out of Love

It was once upon a time that I would hoard these away like nuts for the winter. I am not sure exactly when that point occured when the touch to the the lips brought no excitement. You start making excuses for not visiting more often. It had been 15 years since I had first met the dusky and slender Ms Sancho Panza Molinos. "Molly" had it all. Soft velvety mouthfeel, complex yet subtle, sweet spices with a touch of sea salt.

I know the relationship was strained when on Thursday last week I looked at "Molly", Monty 1, Dip 1 and Punch SS1 and took Dip 1 up to the deck for an afternoon of frivolity. It wasn't the first time Molly has been left on the shelf. It has happened all far too regularly of late. Monte 1 brings perfect medium full coffee cream. Dip 1 sweet capsicum spice mixed with pure toasted Cuban tobacco. Punch SS1 an iron fist in a velvet glove.

"Molly" seems boring in comparison and yet not too many years ago her subtlety was her strength, her softness her crowning glory.

Are there any cigars you have fallen out of love with?

What I find most amusing about this post is that for me, the two cigars that come to mind are the Sancho Panza Beli and the JL Sel #2.

I used to really like the SP Beli but they lost favor for me long ago. It was a subtle smoke that I enjoyed and a good ROI on specials. I really would not even try to acquire any of them these days.

Now for the JL Sel #2 there are two things going on for me. It was a go-to stick for me at one time. I have seen/heard the reviews that the blend has picked up recently and am looking forward to reaquainting. But I am unsure as to if I would be more happy with the Sel #1 instead these days as I have been starting to go for more corona gorda/grande types lately.

I suppose to be fair I should revisit the Selection #2...

Another branch of this thread is to wonder if the cigar changed, or you did.

Often both I would guess.

Yea. That is a factor that I did not touch on. Taking in box variants and all it is difficult to pin down.

LGC MdeO#2. Used to love them & have a couple boxes of 02s, but I haven't smoked one in ages. Every time I think of it I decide I'd rather smoke a Party Lonsdale or MC#1, or even RyJ Cazadore. I think I just like stronger cigars these days.

Cuaba Distinguidos. Was my favourite smoke a while ago. Fairly light, but tasty. easy to smoke. Now I overlook it every time in favour of BBF or something Monte. Compared to them, the Cuaba is just cardboard... I guess it's getting some good aging on it though...

RyJ Churchills. Once Royalty, reduced to a cliche.

I used to Love the RyJ Churchills....But I have had 5 the past few months and I doubt I will ever have another. They have lost all of their magic for me.

Cheers

RyJ Churchills. Once Royalty, reduced to a cliche.

Agreed. But I don't want to talk about it.

R&J Romeo #2 was my favorite economical smoke for a long time. But the latest batches were not as good as before, and my taste evolved somewhat... My favorite smoke now is the Sir Winston by H. Upmann (by the way, your video review of the stick was pretty accurate IMO), very quickly followed by the Punch DC. Also, for some reason, I completely lost interest in the Cohiba brand in general and the Siglo Series in particular; I simply prefer cigars "normally" produced, then aged.

Anything maduro.

Loved it when I was a fresh smoker but now its just sooooo boooooring...

I totally agree with this, I find it even hard to grab one to smoke while mowing the lawn.

• 9 months later...

Bump. Fun topic. I gotta go Monte 2. I get it that these are highly variable, but I just don't even smile when I see the lovely PSP boxes. The Monte profile just doesn't work for me right now, and a bad Monte is a cardboard wind-tunnel.

Fuente Opus X was top before Cubans and I rarely smoke these days. As the CC goes I gave away my last half box of Dip #4.

Ditto on Habanos 2000. Used to be all about the hammer. But, have no interests in padrons anymore. I gift them away to friends who have enough cigar experience to enjoy it.

Other than that, the only other thing that has fallen out of my favor is the types of vitolas I smoke now. Before, I enjoyed the larger ring gauges. Basically robustos, torpedos, pyramids, toros....etc. Now, the mouth feel of these larger sizes just doesn't do it for me. I'm really favoring the smaller ring gauges in the corona gordas, coronas, petite coronas, minutos, marevas. The majority of my latest purchases have been these vitolas. Perhaps there is a time component as well.

Padrons for me. Ever since I found this place in 07 they just haven't been the same. For the cubans I guess Im fortunate to love everything in the humidor at the moment. I guess I'm a little off my Partagas D4's. When Im craving a partagas I reach for the 02 Coronas or the 06 PSDC#3's.