Noobie from Northern Ireland

CJNI

Hi there from ... (looking outside) ... kinda sunny Northern Ireland.

I came to this forum by way of the Friends of Oris forum.

Not content with stirring up several hornets nests over there, I thought I'd come here and make the moderators' lives a misery here too. :cigar:

Straight up I'll admit to knowing little about cigars, although I do want to learn more as I do enjoy a good smoke.

I quit cigarettes in 2005 (very glad I did) and by way of helping my cravings, I took to having the odd cigar.

My local town had only one shop with a humidor (and it's now shut down) so my choices were limited.

I knew that the high street popular brands like hamlet were not for me - a friend had told me long ago the bigger the cigar the smoother the smoke (partially right as it happens, but not 100%) so I went BIG.

The shop had a range of Charlatan tubed cigars and I went straight for the Churchill. I bleedin loved them, still have one lurking in my box (no humidor - I don't smoke enough to warrant one, I rely on tubes) and I have enjoyed many of these good value cigars since.

For a treat I have had a few Cohibas (no idea what size, they were tubes and slimmer than a churchill and shorter too) and they were even better.

For my 1st born's birth, I splashed out. While the mrs was pregnant we went to London on a holiday break and went to Harrods. They have a very cool cigar room and I bought a Davidoff med length very fat tubed cigar and kept it for the birth. It was very good, but I preferred the cohibas.

I haven't actually had a proper cigar since my brother's stag night last summer. I have a mate who just came back from Cuba with a few R&J for me - he bought a box - so I'll probably nobble one at the weekend with a good irish whisky or 2.

Rest of the time, I sometimes am known to carry a small leather case with 8 or so Cafe Creme Filter Aroma cigars which I enjoy when Friends are smoking cigarettes or when a craving (I still get the odd one) hits me. They are easy to smoke and have that slightly sweet taste and aroma which people really like when I light up.

The mrs is pregnant again and so I am on the hunt for my ultimate celebratory cigar. Baby's due in Octoberish so I have plenty of time.

I am fond of a big cigar. I fancy a robusto, and will be hard to talk out of Cohiba. It may not be the best but I recognise the brand when browsing and it's one of the few that I do. So I figure I'll be guaranteed quality.

I expect after a while on this forum I'll be able to make a more informed decision.

If I can I'd like to buy from Rob, as I really like the team's attitude towards watches and cigars. I identify with the relaxed atmosphere on the videos and have found that on FOOF anyway, it's like spending time with old mates.

Feel free to shout at me about the cafe cremes....

Welcome to FOH.

Any friend of Smithy's............. well, we'll try and give you the benefit of the doubt.

As a FOOFer, you may be interested in these two video reviews:

Link1

Link2

P.S. While the mods here are witty, charming, and handsome, I think you'll also find them to be

fair, impartial, and deliberate when dealing with hooligans :cigar:

Welcome aboard!

I really have to get over to Ireland in the next year or so :)

Congrats on the forthcoming second munchkin! Yet again members are carrying the breeding deserts which are Smithy and Ken.

Cheers folks.

Ryan - will do - I work from home in Bangor, but my offices are all over ireland, so I'm in dublin a fair bit - next time I get a coouple of days I'll let you know.

And if Rob, or any other FoHer is ever heading our way then sure, let us know - plenty of choice for watering holes in Ireland...

The cafe creme filter aroma are very nice for what they are.

I also like Old Port cigars sometimes...neither is very sophisticated but then neither am I...:ok:

• 1 month later...

CJ,

Fellow Irishman here.......haven't been to Ireland yet. We are planning a trip in 2010. I suspect this will be the vacation of a lifetime. One of my brothers was there last year. Someone told him that you can always spot an American by how fast they walk...way faster than the walk of a born and bred Irishman. Is this true? I walk fast cuz I'm on commission

Welcome and enjoy the FOH family.

Tom Condon

• 2 weeks later...

"Fellow Irishman here.......haven't been to Ireland yet. "

How does that work? :2thumbs:

Cheers, and I have no idea about the walking thing - I usually just stagger....

Welcome to FOH. I'm sure you will have a blast here while learning and thing or two about Cuban cigars...Have fun.

Welcome! :yes: