2002 H. Upmann Tang Commissioned Monarch

gvlagos

Before i get into the review of what quite possibly was the best cigar i have ever smoked (i know - a bold statement), i would like to tell those who are unfamiliar with the Tang's, about them.

In early 2000, David Tang, the habanos distributor of asia and canada, commissioned Upmann to make him some cigars with special bands and presentation - SLB. #2's, coronas, and monarchs were made. Many agree that these cigars are more rich than the regular production Upmanns.

On to my review...

As i mentioned earlier, this is the best cigar i have ever smoked. A bold statement, considering i have smoked hundreds upon hundreds of habanos. I have even smoked a few of these Tang Monarchs before (this past summer) along with Tang #2's. However, none of them matched the quality and taste of this particular stick. I must admit that i was incredibly impressed by the Tang's of the past, but again, this particular one was special.

With about 5.5 years of age, this cigar i think may be at a peak.

The pre light aroma was a very strong spanish cedar that the cigar had picked up from the box that it had been stored in. Before even lighthing this stick i was impressed with this woody characteristic.

It lit with complete ease, and held a perfect burn throughout. It required absolutely no touch ups.

While this wasn't the most complex cigar, it had oustanding taste. It was a perfect clean tobacco taste. I have never before experienced such a clean and refined taste. There was absolutely no tannicity or bitter flavors. It was utter excellence.

Upon lighting it, i was pleasantly surprised with a nutty taste. This nutty taste came back throughout and was blended in perfect balance with the clean tobacco taste.

The taste was so phenominal that i nubbed this fine churchill

» Before i get into the review of what quite possibly was the best cigar i

» have ever smoked (i know - a bold statement), i would like to tell those

» who are unfamiliar with the Tang's, about them.

»

» In early 2000, David Tang, the habanos distributor of asia and canada,

» commissioned Upmann to make him some cigars with special bands and

» presentation - SLB. #2's, coronas, and monarchs were made. Many agree that

» these cigars are more rich than the regular production Upmanns.

»

» On to my review...

»

» As i mentioned earlier, this is the best cigar i have ever smoked. A bold

» statement, considering i have smoked hundreds upon hundreds of habanos. I

» have even smoked a few of these Tang Monarchs before (this past summer)

» along with Tang #2's. However, none of them matched the quality and taste

» of this particular stick. I must admit that i was incredibly impressed by

» the Tang's of the past, but again, this particular one was special.

»

» With about 5.5 years of age, this cigar i think may be at a peak.

»

» The pre light aroma was a very strong spanish cedar that the cigar had

» picked up from the box that it had been stored in. Before even lighthing

» this stick i was impressed with this woody characteristic.

»

» It lit with complete ease, and held a perfect burn throughout. It required

» absolutely no touch ups.

»

» While this wasn't the most complex cigar, it had oustanding taste. It was

» a perfect clean tobacco taste. I have never before experienced such a

» clean and refined taste. There was absolutely no tannicity or bitter

» flavors. It was utter excellence.

»

» Upon lighting it, i was pleasantly surprised with a nutty taste. This

» nutty taste came back throughout and was blended in perfect balance with

» the clean tobacco taste.

»

» The taste was so phenominal that i nubbed this fine churchill

Muuuusssst reeesssiiiissstttt aaannnddd keeeeep ffffrrrrooommm burrrnnniiinnnggg mine! :-D

nutty taste came back throughout and was blended in perfect balance with the clean tobacco taste.

This is the flavor that absolutely definds the H Upmann marca for me, and the single example of this cigar I had could not have been better described. A refinded clean balanced Havana.

Excellent review and damn accurate.

We managed to bring some in last year of which some fair members of this board were recipients.

I have been searching for them again and we thought we had got lucky in April but it was to no avail.

PCC shipped our last batch from Canada where they could not be moved.

There must be some more out there :hungry:

» hey guys...

» my date is wrong...it was a 2002.

»

» damn good smoke

Exactly what I was thinking. I've also only seen and heard of '02 dates on these. I recently also smoked one, a monarch version. I found it damn good though a bit harsh a bit in the middle. I think with another year or 2 on them these things will be unbelievable. Defintitly a smoke with a bit more age and it will be very memorable!!

» » Sounds luscious. I'm waiting on some Sir Winstons to come around. And now

» I

» » will always wonder how these compare.

»

» 2 very different animals.

Elric is right and I much prefer the Monarchas over the Sir Winston but mine are the Tang release and I have not had the regular run Monarchas.

• 3 weeks later...

finally got to try of these and what crackers they are. first up, i don't think i have ever encountered a cigar with such an enticing aroma before it was lit. a hedonistic mix of old leather, hints of chocolate, locker room, leaf litter and the aroma of walking the streets of havana. and pretty much all of these were encountered again when lit, and more. then it moved into more spice and pepper territory. burn was slow and consistent with a good cone. a hint ragged midway but fixed itself. rich and with serious oomph. not a cigar for those looking for the mild, shrinking violet style (has anyone ever seen a violet shrink or is that one of those bizarre saying like a 'meteoric rise' - who has ever seen a meteor rise?). loved it and found it seriously nubbable. 94. would have been a serious contender for cigar of the year but that siglo vi of a few weeks ago was even better.

the concept of ageing these i find fascinating. they are so good now. will they get noticably better? i really don't know. i think that i'm inclined to split those remaining into 8's. 8 for now. 8 in two or three years and 8 in ten.

• 3 weeks later...

» Excellent review and damn accurate.

»

» We managed to bring some in last year of which some fair members of this

» board were recipients.

»

» I have been searching for them again and we thought we had got lucky in

» April but it was to no avail.

»

» PCC shipped our last batch from Canada where they could not be moved.

»

» There must be some more out there :hungry:

These Tang Monarchs sound interesting.....the CZ ones must have all been set aside for the preferred clients :-(

»

» These Tang Monarchs sound interesting.....the CZ ones must have all been

» set aside for the preferred clients :-(

no - just for those clients that rob knows will nag him senseless if he were to dare send them anywhere else. maybe that is his definition of preferred client??

ps - the one i had last night was a stunner!

just for the record - Stunning. Dense and richly flavoured. Draw and burn exemplary. Complex and cocoa bean and dark choc and coffee grinds and and earthy notes. That same enticing aroma when cold as well. Good cone. Slow burn. Flavours and draw consistent throughout. Old leather. Good structure. Excellent. Definitely has power. 95.