2002 H. Upmann Tang Commissioned Monarch

gvlagos

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

tried another of these recently and impressed at just how seductive they are. Citrus and spice and floral and creamy coffee and leather armchairs. Burnt slowly with a great cone and very impressive construction. No attention needed. The power built as it neared the last third. A really impressive smoke and one that went right to the nub. Some age will help. 94. These are very exciting.

Ken, you and I must have similar taste buds. I just had one of these during the France vs. Brazil game and although the French won, I was more than consoled with how good this cigar was. Easily one of the best cigars I have ever smoked. The burn was true, the flavors were as you described, tons of complexity and changing flavors throughout the smoke. What really impressed me was the balance and smoothness of this cigar. It had strength, tons of flavor and some spicyness (both on the palate and on the nose), yet it was so well balanced and smooth that it gave me so much pleasure with every puff. What I would give to get more of these. For me, this was a classic smoke and would rate it a 96.

Hi all

Sorry about the following question but I just can't resist!

Does anyone have pictures to post of those Tang cigars? The box, the bands, the wrappers, the cigars, and so on?

I only have read and heard about them, but never even seen a picture.

Regards,

Tom

Thanks for the review and to all for the ensuing discussion. Very informative. The Churchill is one of my preferred sizes, and the Upmann is one of my favorite lines. Definitely going to stay tuned on this one. I suppose I can suffer through living vicariously for the time being.:-D

Hi cigarnv

Thank you very much for the pictures. I can only dream of having a cabinett of those Monarchs. If the cigars just taste half as good as the box and the sticks look like, I'm sure they are a dream to smoke!

Regards,

Tom

• 2 years later...
  • 5 years later...

Love a Tang. Makes me feel like an astronaut :)

Few I had chance on were amazing.....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Seems another brother has just chanced on one! *****US BP14, good job Warren (and Wilkey)! party.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I smoked my very last one a few weeks ago, and I have to say I have enjoyed each and every Tang Monarca I have had and the last did not disappoint. After a little more than 13 years these cigars are incredible, and it paired well with a bourbon. It was a sad but enjoyable day!

• 1 month later...

Was recently skipping around reading about various topics and found my way to the Tang Monarchs, and this venerable thread.  Interestingly, I couldn't find anything about this unique release on Cuban Cigar Website!  So thanks to all here who provided information and photos of this legendary cigar.  I wonder how few remain unsmoked and in good condition on this Earth.

from that box of about 2/3rds (a bit less, sadly) mentioned above, a while back i pulled one or two out to smoke. took them home and completely forgot them. a little while ago, was looking for something modest to smoke. saw an unbanded cigar in a mixed box. that will do. 

from the first puff, i thought what the hell is this?? wow! it was a brilliant cigar but i had no idea what it was. could not work it out. about a month later, it dawned. 

they are superb spectacular cigars. 

• Like 1