Spice / Full Bodied

Just smoked an AVO Tesoro and have also found in some of the CC's I have a very full bodied spicy smoke. My questions is do all cigars that are heavy on the spice and pepper and full bodied to the extreme lose that spice and body as time goes on. Will a cigar that I struggle to get through because of these qualities mellow out in do time or is certain tobacco that may be in these cigars always, no matter how long, going to have these qualities. Thoughts?

-Patrick

p.s. GO LAKERS!!!!

From my experience, as far as CCs go, the spice and pepper do tend to mellow out, especially after 5 years, after which one would have to retrohale perhaps, to really sense their presence. My own examples are the SCDLH El Principe and La Fuerza, as well as a box of Monte #4s.

Just smoked an AVO Tesoro and have also found in some of the CC's I have a very full bodied spicy smoke. My questions is do all cigars that are heavy on the spice and pepper and full bodied to the extreme lose that spice and body as time goes on. Will a cigar that I struggle to get through because of these qualities mellow out in do time or is certain tobacco that may be in these cigars always, no matter how long, going to have these qualities. Thoughts?

Try an old (20+ year) RyJ Celestiales Fino

One of the spiciest and strongest cigars I had was at a tasting with James Suckling in Havana. Almost unsmokeable. 1998 Partagas 898 Varnished.

Fascinating. I recently smoked a 1998 898V gifted to me and it was stellar. It was strong, rich, and very earthy and dense, packed with black pepper and leather. I enjoyed it immensely but would not consider it nigh unsmokeable. Perhaps blasphemous, I smoked it while working in the yard and though it needed touching up and relighting in the final 1.5" and the head got damp from slobber, it only became the least bit bitter. Quite a contrast to a Cabaiguan Guapo maduro I smoked earlier that day. It went out once while I set it down to attend to other things and upon relight, was horribly, horribly harsh and acrid. That was unsmokeable. Just terrible.

Wilkey

Good question. I think in many cases these traits would more than likely mellow out some. My question with such an unbalanced cigar would be

what will I be left with? I probably would not be expecting an overly flavorful cigar, but as is often the case, you never know.

It was pretty blatant, wasn't it......

It was also with Jemma Freeman, Simon Chase, Nino, Jimmy Ng, Jose, Hamlet. Fidel may have been here to but I could not see through the smoke :bsmeter:

-Patrick

p.s. GO LAKERS!!!!

My first great love with cigars was with most any Don Pepin (NC) sticks/blends - lotsa spice in most of his blends. Some times I crave a stick that will make my eye's water with a nose exhale from the spice. I'm new to CC and have not yet had that in your face white pepper eyes tearing flavor. I have noticed that over time my NC spicy sticks do mellow a bit, not in a bad way just more refined.

Wags

My first great love with cigars was with most any Don Pepin (NC) sticks/blends - lotsa spice in most of his blends. Some times I crave a stick that will make my eye's water with a nose exhale from the spice. I'm new to CC and have not yet had that in your face white pepper eyes tearing flavor. I have noticed that over time my NC spicy sticks do mellow a bit, not in a bad way just more refined.

Wags

yes, well done getting back on the theme. we had, perhaps, strayed.

That 98 Party 898V sounds like my kind of cigars. My 98 cab Party Lonsdales are very strong & spicy, but provide much pleasure & no pain.

It was also with Jemma Freeman, Simon Chase, Nino, Jimmy Ng, Jose, Hamlet. Fidel may have been here to but I could not see through the smoke ;)

Jesus... and I actually went on record telling the organizer that you were a cool, unpretentious kinda' guy!

I have often wondered if properly stored tobacco can last indefinitely. I have some La Corona machine made cigars from '91 that will rock your world. It makes me wonder what they were like when fresh.

I do have an overall opinion that cigars aged past 15 years or so begin to pick up a similar taste, a taste I associate with older tobacco. Most of the older cigars that I have smoked have rounder, mellower tones but one never knows how that same cigar would have smoked a decade before.

Speaking of pepper and spice and name-dropping and Don Pepin, I met him this past weekend and had to ask his thoughts on blending a cigar and its relation to time: does he blend for the cigar to be smoked now, and/or does the 'flavor change over time factor' become involved when he designs a smoke.

I expected a 20 second answer but ended up listening to him 15 mins.

In a nutshell, he said he blends for the cigars to be smoked within the first 2 years,

after 5 years he does not think the tobacco improves. He also mentioned the fact that some people enjoy the very young smoke with a touch of ammonia, tho I dont remember this being in any of the cigars of his I have had. He didnt say he releases his cigars to have ammonia in them, just that there are those that enjoy that young flavor element.

As far as his 5 year remark, one must remember this man was making cigars in Cuba and now uses predominently Nicaraguan tobacco, I should have asked if he finds a difference in the two as far as aging, but

seeing he has a product to sell, i might know the answer.

I love his smokes and enjoyed my time with him very much, sweet guy.

I should mention that tho I love my CC's, I do not have the luxury of smoking more than one every day, so I need to suppliment my stash with NC's to make those cuban boxes last a few years, and I would chose a Pepin for that anyday. I enjoy the spice in his cigars.

I expect to hear from Jimmy any second now....

post-4863-1242232563.jpg