How do you order them

I found aged stocks at fair prices and remember Rob sometime refered to what aged cigars are nice.

So, I'd like to try such cigars but have no experiece in the field. So, I really need you help!

What will be your choice from the following list?

PARTAGAS DE PARTAGAS NO.1 (CUE jul03)

H.UPMANN MONARCAS (SLA oct01)

SAINT LUIS REY CHURCHILLS ALUMINIUM TUBE (RPO May00)

SANCHO PANZA CORONAS GIGANTES box of 10 (TDV ago03)

VEGUEROS ESPECIALES NO. 1 (GNU CCUA)

BOLIVAR CORONAS GIGANTES (SEL oct02)

DIPLOMATICOS NO. 1 (ARA abr01)

Vegas Robaina Clasicos - ECA NOV 01

PUNCH CHURCHILLS SUA EU00

Thanks for reading

yoss, much will depend on them being stored properly. if you are happy with that, i find aged cigars can offer whole new worlds that younger ones can't imagine. i'm almost finished my SLR C'hills from 97 and they have been a little mixed but wonderful when on song. i'd be inclined to have a look at the partagas - hard to get a dud aged partagas - and also the bolli Gig's.

if you do not have it, min ron nee's book will give thoughts on ageing of just about every cigar. i think he goes little overboard on some (or has discoverd the fountain of youth) but it is a good guide (and wonderful book).

I found aged stocks at fair prices and remember Rob sometime refered to what aged cigars are nice.

So, I'd like to try such cigars but have no experiece in the field. So, I really need you help!

What will be your choice from the following list?

PARTAGAS DE PARTAGAS NO.1 (CUE jul03)

SANCHO PANZA CORONAS GIGANTES box of 10 (TDV ago03)

VEGUEROS ESPECIALES NO. 1 (GNU CCUA)

DIPLOMATICOS NO. 1 (ARA abr01)

Vegas Robaina Clasicos - ECA NOV 01

Thanks for reading

And as Ken has pointed out, how the cigars were stored is of paramount importance to the flavors. I had a box of CGs from '02 that were sublime.

I'm only an amateur at collecting aged cigars with about 6 boxes with 5+ years on them, but besides the pleasure of a fine aged cigar, I love the journey of aging a box yourself and discovering how a particular cigar evolves over the years.

Agree Beetle,

Age them yourself Yossie, it feels better!

I know you can't smoke aged cigars now that you're aging, that's one reason to buy aged stock.

But if you build something yourself, it feels better than buying it already made!

understand this but if yoss is keen to try some aged ones now, he has little choice. no reason you can't do both, at least until the ones you age yourself are ready.

understand this but if yoss is keen to try some aged ones now, he has little choice. no reason you can't do both, at least until the ones you age yourself are ready.

This is the delimma. The only way to do both (age and smoke aged) is to increase your budget. And quite a bit at that. If you have been smoking for a considerable time you may have a good amount of aged product.

So, I believe you have several choices. Buy two boxes (again budgetary issue) and smoke periodically out of one with intent on keeping the other. Smoking freshies while others age.

Buy aged. More difficult to find and higher in price.

Buy and age while buying less expensive boxes. This solves the budget problem but natually you have to like those less expensive cigars. :lol: YMMV

'02 Bolivar CG's :lol:

BTW, just about all the cigars from OSU (Partagas) in 2002 have proven to be good to great. These include the Partagas lonsdales and coronas, Ramon Allones 898V's, LGC Medaille d'Or, and some Bolivars.

As far as the rest of your list, the only other ones I'd consider are the VR Clasicos and the Diplomaticos No. 1. I've smoked from a couple of '01 boxes of Clasicos and the flavor and draw have been pretty good. Some people seem to like the '03 Partagas de Partagas (El Prez did), but I didn't.

The jury is split on the '01 Upmann Monarchs. I got a box for a song, and they are tasty, but draws are dodgy. Many people have found lots of outright plugs.

agree ken,

but part of me feels that there's something interesting and fulfilling about aging a cigar correctly

and reaping the benefits. I think it's what separates a "hobbyist" from a "smoker".

But if you really, really loved aged cigars, and gotta have them and can afford it, then god bless, buy them up.

To each his own as I always say

• 5 months later...

The ARA D-1's are nice cigars and I am not speculating because I have several boxes with ARA 01 box codes.

Overall I am quite convinced that '01 lonsdales are in general wonderful cigars. The Classico will likely be right up there but I have never really hit it off with the Classico or the Familiar, two cigars that I should really enjoy due to the vitolas but have found them hit and miss.

I don't smoke many Churchills any more but have enjoyed the Boli, Punch and Upmann. I have found all three to be inconsistent with the best of being a tie. If Churhill is on the menu I would go '01 or newer or '98 or older and lean on Punch, then Upmann.

I don't like the PdP #1. Some say that it is a direct replacement for the Party Seleccion Privada but I strongly disagree. Nothing will ever replace the Seleccion Privada!

I say hit the Diplo's. I have seen some good prices, the cigars are excellent and when they are gone... they are gone for good! Good luck. -Piggy

Yos if you have not picked these out yet I thought I might give you an update. I told a mate here that I would send him a few sample cigars and I thought of including one of the D-1's; mine are ARA FEB '01. So I took 3 out, 1 to smoke and 2 to send to friends. I picked the most tightly packed for myself and thought that it might be a problem, it was tight, very tight. The tightness was in fact the only draw back to the cigar. The cigar was rich and potent, composed of concentrated hazel nut, mint and benzine... WOW, it was a killer cigar.

If what you have found are anything like mine, you will not be disappointed. -Piggy