Cohiba Esplendidos (special release?)

Torpo

A friend called with a box of Cohiba Esplendidos, he is considering to buy. I have been out of circulation for a while but I'm sure some of you guys will know. I have not been able to find published info on this presentation.

This is a boite nature box of 25 containing a small humidifier. The top is see through (glass?). The box codes, EDC UTCC, are stamped above Habanos s.a. but there is no date. It was allegedly purchased in Cuba, and is being offered by a person who claims to be of Cuban decent.

Sorry no pic's available.

Thanks.

Hey Colt - Are these yours? It seems a lot of collectors have an interest in these, fake or not. Did you ever smoke one? What else do you have?

No Shelby, this image is from an old thread here - I'm sorry I don't know what the original thread is. I don't have, or have not smoked any.

It's funny. In this wonderful hobby, when the subject of fakes comes up there's so much variability coming out of Cuba, many times a genuine article can be suspect.

The more I learn the more I realize I don't know. Many times I would think that one thing or another would be a sure sign of fakes, then only to learn that genuine cigars had this attribute. One thing that comes to mind is the corner cut for the cedar sheet. Years ago many swore if it was a straight cut as oppose to a half moon, then it was a sure sign of fakes. Certain sites may still claim this. Later I learn that the machine that does these cuts can and does break down at times, and straight cuts can be seen with boxes of real cigars.

But the one thing for certain is Glass Top Cohibas = Fakes.

• 2 weeks later...

A very long time ago someone gave me a obvious fake of a Cohiba Esplendido from Mexico. I tried smoking it but the draw was so bad it was no-existent. I couldn't even get it lit. It was like drink to drink a cement milkshake with a straw.

Another time I was sucked in to buying a box of Cohiba Fauxbustos that tasted so bad that it made a Guantanamera Cristales seem good.

bigfunkyg

They are selling them on the beach in Mexico!

A guy I do work for just came back from Cabo and brought me the exact lookin 5er of those. LOL.

I just said "thanx! its a rare find" and left it at that. From what he told me is that they were sbuying and smokeing them all week and they tasted awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh My --- and they labelled these as EL 2009! no less !!!!

As we have been told - the EL 09's are to be from Bolivar, Upmann and RyJ.... The Cohiba-mides have been done twice already - 3 times if you count these fake ones from the House of Fugazy....

• 2 months later...
A guy I do work for just came back from Cabo and brought me the exact lookin 5er of those. LOL.

I just said "thanx! its a rare find" and left it at that. From what he told me is that they were sbuying and smokeing them all week and they tasted awesome.

That's a classic response, Habanohal. I'll have to remember that one.

Faker than plastic titties. I'm pretty sure there are no boxes with plastic tops in any of the Habanos brands.

Hey now, you got a problem with fake ****????? Sorry Lise....dont read this as you might know I'm just an innocent catholic boy.

When I proved to a pal that his glass top box of Cohiba Esplendidos were counterfeit, he exclaimed, "Yea, but they are still great cigars"!

When I proved to a pal that his glass top box of Cohiba Esplendidos were counterfeit, he exclaimed, "Yea, but they are still great cigars"!

B)

Let them enjoy them. I mentioned a few weeks ago of a mate who brought back some Cohiba Robusto's from Vietnam. Now "Lusky" had a fair inkling they were fake. Bands not embossed, a cap only a mother could love and $2 a piece ;)

He handed me one to try. Not bad. Philipine/Indonesian tobacco. No bite to it, medium bodied, bland, complete lack of a Cohiba trait.

Did Lusky care !HELL NO! He thought they were great.

At 70 odd years of age I am not about to tell Lusky that he shouldn't smoke fake Cohiba's :rotfl: