Bolivar Short Bolivar (PCC Regional Release 2008)

Terrantheman, looking forward to your tasting notes. Read Ken's recent review, and he did not have a good experience. I smoked my second Short and found it to be rough. It seemed like it was too loose and smoked more like a cigarette. However, the first Short I had was the complete opposite. I enjoyed that first smoke more than a fresh Boli RC.

Terrantheman, looking forward to your tasting notes. Read Ken's recent review, and he did not have a good experience. I smoked my second Short and found it to be rough. It seemed like it was too loose and smoked more like a cigarette. However, the first Short I had was the complete opposite. I enjoyed that first smoke more than a fresh Boli RC.

not a good experience at all, though to be fair, i have only smoked the one (and saw no encouragement to try another).

I'm letting it rest until about the 3rd week of Jan. as this should be about the 30day mark, just so that I can be fair. The one that I had tried with about 4hr of rest was really good with lots of dough and boli flavors like Rob had described, I found it quite good. I'm also a self proclaimed Boli hooer!

O.K. I ended up smoking it tonight! Now my palet seemed a bit off but from what I could gather it was a very nice cigar. Great construction but I knew that from the first one I enjoyed. Lots of dough and very sweet tobacco flavors. The dough is interesting because before hearing Rob use it I always thought that dough flavor was more like a cheesecake flavor, now I love cheesecake. If cheesecake were the last food on earth, I would be very very happy. Now this is the confusing part to me I've never thought of Bolivar to have that doughy cheesecake flavor I've actually always thought of that to the Punch line, which I also enjoy. Either way it doesn't matter it was a very enjoyable cigar. I will have another in a couple of weeks and then the rest might get put down for awhile. It was a tad harsh but so was the Cohiba corona especiales I enjoyed I'm thinking that my palet might be a little bit off because of the weather.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hawaiibill

I smoked my first short Boli recently and all I can say is?.............WOW!.........what a GREAT cigar!

My ONLY complaint (like many have said) is the use of such excellent tobacco in such a SHORT cigar. Seems a waste. But otherwise I thought it was a truly wonderful cigar!!!

hard to think of a cigar that has not only divided the forum to this extent but also where individual membrs have had such varying experiences with them. obviously huge variation throughout. i'd love to try a good one as a big fan of all things boli (almost).

it does raise the issue of where does such variation leave us? do you take a punt that you'll get a good box?

for me, too many good cigars around at the moment so i would pass and go elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

I smoked one yesterday out by the pool before the Super Bowl kickoff. In terms of aesthetics I agree that this fat stubby shape is unappealing, and there is something ridiculous about the double bands on such a short cigar. But this cigar was great right from the get go. I smoked it for a full hour, it had classic Bolivar leather taste from the first puff, and the flavor remained strong and good throughout. It was as earthy as any Bolivar I have smoked, but perhaps less creamy than other Bolivars I have enjoyed. The burn and draw were perfect throughout. Of course being so short it did not develop over time. My 22 year old son smoked one with me, he really liked the easy draw and commented on the great flavors as well. Eager to see how this does with a bit of age.

I smoked one of these last week and was really disappointed. The flavor started out really nicely, but the wind tunnel draw put a stop to the pleasant flavors in a hurry. I think if the draw was spot on with this smoke it would have been damn good. I definitely saw some potential with the blend, and if you can get some that draw properly im sure they will be a great Bolivar.

The biggest problem with this cigar is,(apart from the size) the extremely open draw.

As stated by a few, it starts out with bags of flavour. An absolute ripper but alas, by half way most the flavour has gone.

It gets quite hot, no matter how small a drag i take and i get an amonia taste towards the last third.

• 3 years later...