Bolivar Short Bolivar (PCC Regional Release 2008)

Bolivar Short Bolivar (PCC Regional Release 2008) July 08

I neither like the size, 52 x 110 (4.3") Petit Robusto nor the fact that all he bands cover 30% of the cigar. I asked minismithy (Simon) to open 5 of the boxes from the mastercases that arrived today. Each of the boxes once opened had an astringent Tea/ash aroma. This is quite unique (for me) as I can't recall experiencing such an aroma in any box of cigars prior. Finally after opening the 5th box (they were all the same) I asked Simon to select one. I wasn't looking forward to the tasting.

Wrapper is solid. Not bad not great. Hard to tell how much oil is in the wrapper given that the rain is pouring and everything feels damp after a few minutes on the deck. The aroma at cold is "wet tea bag" ....harldy inspiring.

Clipped the cap and while the cigar appears rolled well enough the draw is easier than I like. Flavour on the lips from the cold draw is on the sweet dry grass side.

Fired up the foot with my trusty Vector which is struggling with the dampness. The Bolivar takes easily to flame. More importantly it delivers immediate flavour in spades. No spice through the nose, all cream, leather ......BOLIVAR

This really can't be right? Everythig leading up to this moment had me primed for a disappointment. It is not disappointing at all....it is magnificent. The flavours are not muted....they are bold. Cream/fresh dough/leather. Smooth a silk. Medium bodied...not a shade more nor a shade less. The cigar continues through its first two thirds in such a manner. How can you criticize a cigar which delivers near perfection?

The Bolivar increased in body in its last third. Flavour... full, body just a shade over medium. The strength of this cigar is its blend, its richness, its mouthfeel, its ....for use of a better term...Bolivarness.

This tasting is meaningless. The cigars only arrived hours ago and need to rest 30 days. I will have Smithy and SImon taste and then take some over to Kens tomorrow. I am stunned to say the least at this initial tasting.

post-4-1226998992.jpg

post-4-1226999577.jpg

post-4-1226999593.jpg

Well, let me be the first to say...WOW!

Jeht I don't want to get overly excited on this. I have had two...one hour apart. Both magnificent. Lets wait for some other reviewers. I have tried so many Regional Releases and this is the most impressive to date including all other Regional Bolivar releases. I really want ken to try one. His palate is "gulp" superior to mine. Lets wait 48 hrs. The last thing I want is to be wrong on this.

Jeht I don't want to get overly excited on this. I have had two...one hour apart. Both magnificent. Lets wait for some other reviewers. I have tried so many Regional Releases and this is the most impressive to date including all other Regional Bolivar releases. I really want ken to try one. His palate is "gulp" superior to mine. Lets wait 48 hrs. The last thing I want is to be wrong on this.

Hmmm - this should make his head swell :thumbsup:

Thanks for your initial impressions Rob - Sound not too far removed from the Royal Corona?

You know I have to be honest. I wish they would stop throwing premium leaf at this size. I think the vitola is fundamentally flawed.

That is only my opinion and many many people love the size. I am just not one of them. A shame because Bolivar is my favorite marca.

You know I have to be honest. I wish they would stop throwing premium leaf at this size. I think the vitola is fundamentally flawed.

That is only my opinion and many many people love the size. I am just not one of them. A shame because Bolivar is my favorite marca.

I'm with you on this one. Seems a waste paying $10-11 for a <30 minutes smoke. When I get something good, I want to prolong the experience. I get really frustrated with some of the very good Monte PEs I've had because the smoking experience is so short...I get tempted to light another, but I also don't want to ruin the experience I just had if I end up with an inferior second stick.

i had much the same experience as Rob when it came to this little beauty, however my middle third was somewhat muted, where the the flavours were almost restrained. While I'm no expert I would assume this has something to do with the fact that they had been in our humidor for maybe 3 hours before i smoked one. Nevertheless it was an excellent cigar given the circumstances

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, Matt. If I need a "quick fix", I'll reach for a smaller vitola. In the case of Bolivar, a PC or CJ fills the bill admirably, with all the flavor anyone could want. These "stumpy" cigars are an abomination, both aesthetically as well as economically. I feel the same way about the recent Partagas D5 EL. Absurd.

I can't say that the Montecristo Petit Edmundo, Hoyo De Monterrey Petit Robusto and now the Bolivar Short Bolivar are my favourite size for a cigar either. What I could have done with a Bolivar Carlota 50 cab :cigar:

• 3 weeks later...

Close enough to the 30 day mark, so I had to light one up. Here is my noob perspective:

Draw is rather open, and I was worried that it would be too loose. I don't know enough about the "classic" bolivar taste, but this darn little cigar brings it. In spades. Baseball mit leather, white pepper through the nose, cream, a hint of grassy tobacco and a lot of smoke. Med/full with the edge towards full. Smoke it slow as the easy draw can overpower the experience. Mid way, it is becoming smoother and creamier. It is still a little bomb. Only complaint is that I would prefer a little tighter draw. Down to the Asia Pacifico band and the flavors are mingling well. It has stayed the course. Although it is short, it delivers!