Johnny-O!\'s

I have been curious about the story behind Johnny-O's for a while, and after i did a search and say Greg's review it explained a little bit to me, but not the whole story behind Johnny. Can anyone explain it further, either by PM or publicly? I'm timid of asking more specific questions but would love to in a "better arrangement".

» I have been curious about the story behind Johnny-O's for a while, and

» after i did a search and say Greg's review it explained a little bit to

» me, but not the whole story behind Johnny. Can anyone explain it further,

» either by PM or publicly? I'm timid of asking more specific questions but

» would love to in a "better arrangement".

I don't have very much first-hand knowledge, but here's what I can glean from what I have read. JohnnyO occasionally has cigars rolled in Cuba on his own commission and sells them in bundles -- mostly, as far as aI can tell, on the Fuente website (cigarfamily.com). He doesn't advertise extensively, and it seems that most of his business is via word-of-mouth. He will occasionally put up a post on the Fuente board announcing availabily of cigars. It is unknown to me whether his product is rolled in Cubatabaco factories, but it seems unlikely, given that many of these are odd sizes.

I have tried one JohnnyO robusto from a bundle of 25 that a friend bought. I couldn't finish it, and it didn't taste like any other Cuban cigar I have smoked. I have another JohnnyO (figurado) that was sent to me in a blind trade. Perhaps I will try it this evening and report back.

I have read quite a few posts raving about the product and its pricing.

Van commented on everything that I could say about Johnny-O's except my personal experience in smoking a Johnny-O Figurado.

I have a good friend that gave me a couple over the summer which he stated were quite fresh. I smoked one and have the other sleeping.

The Johnny-O figurado that I smoked while Rob was visiting Tampa this summer sucked. It did not display any essence of Cuban Tobacco which I find when smoking normal Habanos, a custom rolled Hamlet, La China or even a Toboda (sp). Since I was told that the cigars were fresh, I am letting the second one go for a deep sleep (5-7 years) in the hopes that it turns around. I am not keeping my fingers crossed as I don't have any high expectations.

Bottom line, I would not buy nor seek out any more Johnny-O's. Much better cigars are available at a lower price in my humble opinion.

I have been smokeing his for a few years now. Been going through a bunble of his Mag 50s and almost cant tell the differance from the H Upmann Mag 50.

Great solid cigars. Who rolls them? Are they %100 Cuban Tobacco?

Dont really know and dont care. They are flavor bombs that are very enjoyable

Save your money.

I find them mediocre and tasteless at best, and revolting at worst.

I bought some based on some of the talk a few years back, had some, and ended up giving the rest away. I have yet to have someone come back and want to know how to get more. They didn't taste anything like a cuban cigar.

For your money, stick with the real deal.

Van summed it up nicely...

» Save your money.

»

» I find them mediocre and tasteless at best, and revolting at worst.

»

» I bought some based on some of the talk a few years back, had some, and

» ended up giving the rest away. I have yet to have someone come back and

» want to know how to get more. They didn't taste anything like a cuban

» cigar.

»

» For your money, stick with the real deal.

»

» Van summed it up nicely...

I must be gettin the "good ones" lol

» I have tried one JohnnyO robusto from a bundle of 25 that a friend bought.

» I couldn't finish it, and it didn't taste like any other Cuban cigar I

» have smoked. I have another JohnnyO (figurado) that was sent to me in a

» blind trade. Perhaps I will try it this evening and report back.

»

» I have read quite a few posts raving about the product and its pricing.

I've had a couple so far, and i have to agree, they do not taste like any other habano I've had. Most notibly, they did not express the spice that i get when i smoke other cubans

• 5 months later...
» Save your money.

»

» I find them mediocre and tasteless at best, and revolting at worst.

»

» I bought some based on some of the talk a few years back, had some, and

» ended up giving the rest away. I have yet to have someone come back and

» want to know how to get more. They didn't taste anything like a cuban

» cigar.

»

» For your money, stick with the real deal.

»

» Van summed it up nicely...

I must be gettin the "good ones" lol

You and me, HHal :P

I've smoked several vitolas and they almost always have this bitter edge. In the best of cases, it is subtle but still not entirely pleasurable as in the bitter wood note I find in Cuaba Divinos. In the worst of cases, it strikes me as a charred, burnt rubber character that attacks the back of the throat.

They're not expensive. But neither have they been uniformly pleasurable. For my money, I'd much rather put it in a cab of RASS or Mag46.

Wilkey

I've smoked several vitolas and they almost always have this bitter edge. In the best of cases, it is subtle but still not entirely pleasurable as in the bitter wood note I find in Cuaba Divinos. In the worst of cases, it strikes me as a charred, burnt rubber character that attacks the back of the throat.

They're not expensive. But neither have they been uniformly pleasurable. For my money, I'd much rather put it in a cab of RASS or Mag46.

Wilkey

Nothing wrong with RASS or Mag46 - great cigars.

There are some sizes of Johnny-O! that are inconsistent. I put my money on Lancero and Robusto Extra - both with pigtail. One condition, though - Johnny-O!'s love to be aged for at least two years. :smartass:

BTW, I love Cuaba Divinos from '98

Interesting. The one I tried most recently was about a year old. I've got a handful of 3-4 year old sticks left somewhere. Gonna have to dig them out. These were of the lonsdale and fat lonsdale size IIRC.

Wilkey

Interesting. The one I tried most recently was about a year old. I've got a handful of 3-4 year old sticks left somewhere. Gonna have to dig them out. These were of the lonsdale and fat lonsdale size IIRC.

Wilkey

Lonsdales, Baby Salomones and marevas (PC's) can be harsh, without age... I had a Lancero the other day - it was "fresh" - got it a couple of months ago from a fellow BOTL and it was really good. These JO's really mellow out after two years and become light to medium body smokes with just the right amount of spice. Very enjoyable, without being overpowering.

Also, in my experience the ones with the light colorado wrapper are the best, even though the dark and oily look really beautiful.

Those 3-4 year olds should smoke beautifully. Just my 0.02 cents. I hope you will enjoy it.

• 1 year later...
Im a fan of them also. Smokeing them fresh is rewarding. or wait a few years and they are even better.

It seems like most of you that have found these to be dissapointing are smoking them in their sick period. Most that are familiar with these cigars know that they are great fresh and diminish after about a months time. A years nap straightens most of them out and you may see a greater improvement in 2-3 years time. This has been discussed over at CigarPass if you wanted to look over an extensive thread on the subject. I can guarantee you the tobacco comes from only one place. Hope this helps, John

I can guarantee you the tobacco comes from only one place. Hope this helps, John

This seems a bit vague and/or misleading to me.

I've never tried these in the past, but I have heard so/so things about them.

I have a tendency to stay away from things that are potentially so/so or vague/misleading.

i gotta say... i've blasted through two bundles of johns recent pigtail shorts in the past few months... and they have treated me very well. i just put them in a mason jar as soon as i get them, since these are great for smoking FRESH imho.

Received a fresh bundle of JO's cazador pigtails this weekend. My brother and I fired up a couple on Saturday night fresh from the ziplock. They are 6 1/2 x 44 with a dark wrapper and excellent construction. The freshness made the draw a little tight, but they burned perfectly and required no re-lights. The aroma out of the bag is barny with an almost minty? smell. Once lit the taste was very nice, consistent, and smooth. I had quite a few cocktails and was talking with some friends while smoking, so I didn't really take notes but was very pleased with these. For the price these are a winner fresh and if they get better with age, than I will definitely be picking up some more in different vitolas.

Their price is not cheaper then a regular box of Cubans.

Who said anything about "regular cubans"? As a matter of fact who said anything about cubans at all? I am comparing these to any $6 stick I have smoked, cuban or not, my opinion is they're a good deal...