Beetle Emergency!!

So I'm going to play golf in an hour and I'm picking a few cigars out and the first one I find has beetle holes in it! I immediately freak and start putting al my cigars in ziplocks for a freezer trip.

PROBLEM: I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow MORNING and wont be back for 4-5 days... will leaving the cigars in the freezer that long be bad for them?

All this trouble for a crappy store made cigar I picked up outside of Tampa.

» So I'm going to play golf in an hour and I'm picking a few cigars out and

» the first one I find has beetle holes in it! I immediately freak and start

» putting al my cigars in ziplocks for a freezer trip.

»

» PROBLEM: I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow MORNING and wont be back

» for 4-5 days... will leaving the cigars in the freezer that long be bad for

» them?

»

» All this trouble for a crappy store made cigar I picked up outside of

» Tampa.

I don't know about the legnth of time in the freezer, but to avoid problems in the future, a wine fridge is invaluable...

» So I'm going to play golf in an hour and I'm picking a few cigars out and

» the first one I find has beetle holes in it! I immediately freak and start

» putting al my cigars in ziplocks for a freezer trip.

»

» PROBLEM: I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow MORNING and wont be back

» for 4-5 days... will leaving the cigars in the freezer that long be bad for

» them?

»

» All this trouble for a crappy store made cigar I picked up outside of

» Tampa.

"Lasioderma Serricorne"....I feel your pain bro....same has happened to me before. Leaving them for that time will be just fine....I placed mine in multiple well sealed zip-locks and then in a paper grocery store bag as well....my thought on this was to minimize freezing/thawing trauma to the cigars, decrease external oders from freezer as well. Bring them back to room temp slowly also....go from the freezer to the fridge for a few days and then to room temp before placing in your humidor. After having to do all of that...I invested in some beetle traps....probably complete overkill but it makes me feel good having these.

» I don't know about the legnth of time in the freezer, but to avoid

» problems in the future, a wine fridge is invaluable...

You said it!!! I have a huge chest freezer I used to use as a cooler with an external thermostat that I'll be using until I can retrofit a wine fridge intoa humidor.

I did rapid research and some sites were telling me to leave the cigars in the freezer for a month... A MONTH!

That of course will NOT work because I leave tomorrow for Fort Lauderdale and only have enough smokes to last until I get back. And my local cigar shop doesn't carry PSD4's... yet!

So thanks guys. I'm going to try to relax while on vacation and not have nightmares about ruined cigars... see you guys when I get back.

I got back yesterday and took a look and all looks well in the freezer. I've cleaned my humidor and am currently re stabilizing the RH in it....

NOW... anyone have a spare wine cooler they want to get rid of? :-D

I have used pheromone traps as a precaution in my aristocrat endtable unit in the past. There are a couple of places you can purchase them if you do a search on tobacco beetle traps or cigarette beetle traps.

» » NOW... anyone have a spare wine cooler they want to get rid of? :-D

»

» Let me know what you decide to go with.

» I'll be looking for one myself within the year!

» thanks!!!

I'm not sure if I'm going to refit a wine cooler or a mini fridge. The fridges are cheaper but they're all frost free and keeping the RH would be difficult.

Anyone have any wine cooler model recommendations for us beetle tortured souls?

I have TWO Haier wine coolers (including Tampa's old one), bought the other one at Lowe's. They have no trouble holding humidity. BUT you have to watch out, humidity is vastly lower on the top level than the bottom, so you need either strong fans, or a system of rotating your boxes so that they balance out.

I made a lengthy post about this in the past, showing the results of humidity measurements taken inside and outside of cabs and at different levels in the fridge, you should be able to find that with a search.

Should be beetle proof too. A necessity for cigars in Florida.