Bolivar CG Ramblings

While thoroughly enjoying an '00 Upmann Sir Winston yesterday, I had a few thoughts with regards to the Bolivar CG.

While smoking the Upmann, I thought that when these draw well, they run neck and neck with the BCG.

So today I fired up an '03 BCG. Like meeting up with an old friend - classic (in my opinion) BCG.

Rich supple leather and peppery spice. A light cherry tinge on the top. Medium/full in body. Lightly astringent tannins. Great!

The tannin aspect, in turn, made me wonder what these will turn into at the ten year mark - if they last that long.

In the end, I can't really compare the two - such different cigars. I love them both! So what's my point?

None really, other than I'm glad I don't have to choose.

» While thoroughly enjoying an '00 Upmann Sir Winston yesterday, I had a few

» thoughts with regards to the Bolivar CG.

» While smoking the Upmann, I thought that when these draw well, they run

» neck and neck with the BCG.

» So today I fired up an '03 BCG. Like meeting up with an old friend -

» classic (in my opinion) BCG.

» Rich supple leather and peppery spice. A light cherry tinge on the top.

» Medium/full in body. Lightly astringent tannins. Great!

» The tannin aspect, in turn, made me wonder what these will turn into at

» the ten year mark - if they last that long.

» In the end, I can't really compare the two - such different cigars. I love

» them both! So what's my point?

» None really, other than I'm glad I don't have to choose.

I am envious as I smoked up all my '03s and really need to restock. :crying:

I LOVE my '03 BCG's (May, I think, I can't remember.) I have a full box and a nearly empty one, and was hoping to keep the extra box sealed for at least another year. They are wonderful, that rare mix of sophistication and power. I too hope I can hold onto them for long enough to see what happens...

Right, Colt... we don't have to choose. We can have everything! :-D

Has anyone else here tried the 2006 BCG's? If you do, you'll want to add a box to your aging stock. I did, immediately! These are right up there with the '06 BRC's and BCE's, in terms of flavor and potential complexity. Of course, they're not as strong. They should be huge in a few years.

» Has anyone else here tried the 2006 BCG's? If you do, you'll want to add a

» box to your aging stock.

»

I have not, but I certainly believe you. Something I find very heartening is that this particular cigar

seems to have remained consistently great during this decade - though there have not been comments

on every vintage.

» I did--I think because Colt was going on about em awhile ago.

I can't help it :lol:

I think that if I did have to choose but one cigar to smoke for the rest of my life, I could choose

the BCG without a second thought.

Hm - this post really makes we want to smoke the first stick out of that 00 box of BCGs I have. But I guess I'll wait another three years. In the mean time I smoke some nice 06 stuff and some other older goodies. :-P

Shame that I finished my Sir Winstons from 97 this year. And I do not have another box of them... :-( They were really outstandingly nice.