Shiraz

effinwill

Never been my favorite, but lately I have been really appreciating the texture, the herbaceous qualities, and the nose of this varietal. The "Sticks" label (at CostCo for 11.49) has been a hit. Ditto the Columbia Crest Shiraz.

With budget restrictions in mind, what else would you fellas recommend?

» Never been my favorite, but lately I have been really appreciating the

» texture, the herbaceous qualities, and the nose of this varietal. The

» "Sticks" label (at CostCo for 11.49) has been a hit. Ditto the Columbia

» Crest Shiraz.

»

» With budget restrictions in mind, what else would you fellas recommend?

A couple that I like:

Penfolds Bin 28 Kalimna Shiraz

Shotfire Barossa Shiraz

» Crest Shiraz.

»

coincidence? was just filling out my tips for the sticks footy tipping comp. the winemaker, sticks dolan, used to play for port adelaide (mob of hopeless, torana-driving thugs, though sticks himself is a good bloke).

don't usually think of shiraz as in the herbaceous spectrum but certain vintages from the yarra might qualify. if you prefer the more herbaceaous, then stay away from mclaren vale and barossa shiraz (though i love these) and stick more with the cooler climes. even some of the kiwi shiraz are worth a look though the very best, from the gimblett gravels region in hawkes bay, will not be herbaceous as such. if you mean more of a dry herbs character rather than the vegetal herbaceousness then a whole new world opens up.

Haven't had a lot of shiraz, but never thought of it as herbacious. In a little higher price range, Mollydooker's The Boxer is a fantastic & powerful wine.

I agree with trying some of the Penfolds offerings, though they are not exactly cheap.

I also like the wines of Wynns Coonawarra Estate, and for a few less dollars, give

Wolf Blass a try. Montes Alpha Syrah is also nice.

If you can expand the budget a bit, try a Northern Rhone from France.

"herbs character rather than the vegetal herbaceousness then a whole new

» world opens up."

Yeah, no vegetal flavors. That would be pretty icky.

A little pepper, lots of dry velvety texture, some dry herb nuances - that would be it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will have this info in hand before the next trip to the mega liquor store.

The other night I tried a bottle of Two Hands Gnarly Dudes Barossa shiraz... If you can find a resonable price on a bottle (under $30) it's highly recommended! I haven't tried their higher end stuff, but if it's better than the Gnarly Dudes, it's also a must try!

just a little footnote, my father in law brought over a shiraz/viognier blend from some McLaren Vale winery - I'll have to dig through the trash if you want the maker. Sounded odd, but the wine was just fine - a little on the over-ripe, polished fruit side for my tastes, but plenty good all the same.

» and stick more with the cooler climes. even some of the kiwi shiraz are

» worth a look though the very best, from the gimblett gravels region in

» hawkes bay, will not be herbaceous as such.

Are any of these available in boxes?;-)

» » and stick more with the cooler climes. even some of the kiwi shiraz are

» » worth a look though the very best, from the gimblett gravels region in

» » hawkes bay, will not be herbaceous as such.

»

» Are any of these available in boxes?;-)

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2

Australia produces some stunning Shiraz. I prefer the jammy, juicy, viscous styles as I like this style with Cigars. Currently going through a case of Red Nectar. Put in an order yesterday for 18 more.

• 3 weeks later...

» just a little footnote, my father in law brought over a shiraz/viognier

» blend from some McLaren Vale winery - I'll have to dig through the trash

» if you want the maker. Sounded odd, but the wine was just fine - a little

» on the over-ripe, polished fruit side for my tastes, but plenty good all

» the same.

That's the classic blend of Cote Rotie of the Rhone Valley in France... very very high end stuff... I'm sure that's where the idea for the blend that you had originated.

I did have some Two Hands Bella's Garden the other night which is quite a bottle of shiraz. I think at a price of $45 it is extremely hard to beat. Unfortunately more local wine shops are selling it for $55-60.

» Crest Shiraz.

»

Terra Barrossa is a wonderful Shiraz for under $15 a bottle. Robert Parker recently said that Terra Barossa was one of the best red wine values in the world and gave the 2005 a 91 score. The wine drinks much bigger than the price.

»

» Terra Barrossa is a wonderful Shiraz for under $15 a bottle. Robert

» Parker recently said that Terra Barossa was one of the best red wine

» values in the world and gave the 2005 a 91 score. The wine drinks much

» bigger than the price.

Thanks, I'll look for that one. Recently had a couple fruity cheaper ones in the style el Prez likes. Good wit Tommy's dbl chili cheeseburgers today. :-D

Speaking of herbaceous wines, had a local cab the other day that smelled EXACTLY like a bag of good noCal herb.

• 2 years later...

I cant get enough of the shiraz grape... As difficult as it may be, I've been trying everything within my budget of $15 or less. As far as wine goes, I am completely in love with the shiraz! Even Yellow Tail makes a decent shiraz in my book.

»

» Terra Barrossa is a wonderful Shiraz for under $15 a bottle. Robert

» Parker recently said that Terra Barossa was one of the best red wine

» values in the world and gave the 2005 a 91 score. The wine drinks much

» bigger than the price.

Thanks, I'll look for that one. Recently had a couple fruity cheaper ones in the style el Prez likes. Good wit Tommy's dbl chili cheeseburgers today. :-D

Speaking of herbaceous wines, had a local cab the other day that smelled EXACTLY like a bag of good noCal herb.

TOMMY'S! Damn I miss Tommy's. Best damn chiliburgers around. Used to frequent the one in Fountain Valley, CA at Magnolia and Warner back in high school. Will have to make a stop back there when I am back in SoCal this summer. Have to admit nevered paired it with wine...usually a nice cold lager, but hey...it's worth a try. Thanks for the memories...I suddenly find myself to be hungry...

Tried a number of Penfolds: bin 128, Thomas Hyland, Koononga(sp?)... and like all but the rawson's retreat. Another shiraz/syrah I really liked was 05 La Sirena, barrett vinyards. Actually, I like all I've tried from Heidi, tho I can't rub elbows with Amuse Bouche & Screaming Eagle...

I've also had a fair amount of yellow tail. I like it for when I'm sitting around and feel like a glass or two of wine, not so much to accompany food *shrug*

Gents, if you haven't tried I suggest you find it - Jamsheed Syrah (Silvan winery). I was in Oz earlier this month, and I'd have to say, it was the best bloody Shiraz I've ever put to my lips.

Actually it's Victorian wine which is a bugger, coz I did a tour of Vic wineries in early Jan, and didn't come across this particluar one.