rob\'s aged stock

one of the offers that our esteemed puppet master had going recently was for mixed aged cigars. i must admit that this was one i jumped on - i really do think that a few years can add so much to some smokes and this was a great way to research that.

i've mentioned the r&j pow which was fantastic. also a good r&j churchill and a lesser siglo iii.

wondering if anyone else who took advantage has any thoughts?

» » one of the offers that our esteemed puppet master had going recently was

» » for mixed aged cigars. i must admit that this was one i jumped on

» »

» dance puppet, dance..........

i must say i have had the tom jones song bouncing around my skull for a while. now i think i know why.

» one of the offers that our esteemed puppet master had going recently was for mixed aged cigars... wondering if anyone else who took advantage has any thoughts?

That was one that procrastination took away from me... and I hoped that it would return as an end of financial year clearance sale... but it was not to be. Now, I am hoping to save those bucks and a few more for upcoming releases.

I have smoked an H. Upmann Connoisseur No.1 from my sampler. I haven't really cared much for Upmanns before, but this cigar was absolutely stellar! It was really spicy and sweet in a way I don't recall finding in a Cuban before.

I jumped on this as well, since I have not had the chance to try many cigars with proper age on them. It has opened my eyes to Cohiba; I have not traditionally liked young Co's and for that reason have not purchased much of them (other than a few singles here and there). I'm smoking an '01 Esplendido and aside from a slightly tight draw, it is a wonderful cigar! The harsh, tannic edges I've tasted in the past are still present just not in the same force; for me, it has totally turned the cigar around. The 01 SPB's are absolutely delicious as well; so much more body than a young one. I've enjoyed them so much, I'm purchasing a box (or two) to lay down for a few years. Similar to you, the RyJ POW's are lovely smokes, such finesse! Just that they 3 I've smoked so far were very, very tight.

Thanks Rob and Lisa!

I didn't go for the sampler, but I've gotten a box of 01 Hoyo Epicures #1 and 02 Monte #2 from Rob's aged offerings. So far the Montecristos seem more "refined" than my newer ones -- a little less powerful, and a little less characteristic at first. It's not immediately obvious what you're smoking when you light it. Then comes a gradual progress toward a really great finish. Maybe it's just the batch, but the aging seems to have intensified certain elements and eliminated others. I like them, but some people might be disappointed.

The Hoyos are another story -- they almost seem like a different cigar than newer ones I've had. I smoked a lot of 'em in 01 and 02 and liked them a lot. When I tried a new box in 05 I was startled by how different they seemed. The old box tastes just like I remembered. So

1) am I wrong about the difference between the older and newer ones?

2) can aging really alter things to the extent that you can barely tell that one's related to another, or

3) do they ever intentionally change the blend?

» the power of the blackhand... how much does he pay you to say nice thingS??

i am assuming that there is an allegation of a backhander (black? you kiwis have one track minds). tragically, i get not one single cent from the master. the only money that has ever changed hands has all been one way. away from me. i do it for the feeling of well being it brings and the good of my fellow man. okay, not even your lot will believe that. aside from the fun i have here, it gets me occasional access to smokes i might not see otherwise but it remains my mission to ensure that i fund rob's kids' schooling. also, and not that he has offered, if i were to accept any compensation for comments, he would have justification for whinging when i post negatively. now he just whinges and has to put up with it. also, if i did then i would lose any credibility in the real world. if i have any.

in fact, and here is the great injustice, there have been occasions when i have had to chase him for overcharging me (a regretable oversight one assumes, though it seemed to amuse him).

finally, please note that before posting anything positive, i waited till he was away hoping he wouldn't notice. can't have him thinking it might happen regularly.