Por Larranaga Petit Corona

Not a producer with which I am very familiar so keen to have a look at some and this was a great place to start. Think someone posted a thread about what were favourite petit coronas and bot sure if this featured (will have to check) but if they smoke this well regularly then it is definitely going to become one of mine. Undistinguished start. There was a hint of box press - from Rob’s H’dor so not sure of age but think it was reasonably young. The wrapper look like it could have been a brown paper bag and possibly even a hint of black mold (wasn’t moldy but did have that look). So wasn’t expecting much. But loved it. Smoked slowly and consistently with a tightish draw but not too tight. Has deceptive power. A bit fire and spice. Some dark coffee and earthy notes. Smoked consistently right through. Think that with another year or two in the h’dor, should be a cracker. Note that our friend from Honkers suggests “Tremendous ageing potential‘. But then he says that about everything. He also says it was to be discontinued in 2002 but obviously not, unless I have jagged an old one. But do agree that it is a long termer. 89.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand how they determine what to discontinue and what to bring back. This was discontinued (or just not made in 03) then brought back in 04. They seem pretty scarce. I like them, but if they were indeed discontinued in 02 then apparently not too many liked them at that time.

This vitola is one of those that perplexes what is happening in Cuba. In 2002, it was announced that the PL PC would be discontinued, but it seamed to only apply to the dress box version because the 50 cab remained listed as an active item on the Habanos Catelog. I personally have never seen nor heard of any production from 2003, but early in 2004, certain areas began to have them available in the 50 cabs. I myself acquired cabs with both Jun and Jul 04 box codes. These were sourced through suppliers that receive their inventory from Pacific Cigars.

The PL PC to me, is a very delightful and wonderful tasteing Petit Corona. I find that with age, the Caramel taste that is present in most of the Por Larranaga marca is there.

It is my belief that this vitola is only produced when there is available tobacco from specific vegas in cuba. Thus, if the right tobacco is not currently available, the cigar is not produced, thus, the scarity of the item.

If you have older (99-01) PL PCs, I can attest that they are off the hook right now. The 04 cabs I have are ageing for at least 3 more years, and possibly longer.

Tampa

img][img][/img]» I think the DB version was discontinued and may'be there weren't enough Cab

» orders on hand to warrent a production run in '03.

Waiting for a cab of 50 to hit home in a day or 2. Very anxious,for have heard only praise on these

Ive got a Cab of 50 from '04 and have smoked 3. They are outstanding right now, but I will soon git another cab so I can age one of 'em. As Tampa said, the 99-01's are off the hook, I will def have a cab to try down the road. :ok:

Got a cab of 04 and these are potent little cigars. I agree that they do not look like much, especially the boring band. Mine are dark and well made having good burn and draw. Strong as all get out but not in a bad way. Have hit the cab pretty hard and need to lay off.

I like the idea of not making it if the materilas are not right. Why make **** that ain't no good just cause. Yeh, spelling and grammer intended.

This brand was scheduled to go to God.

Today, I suspect they are selling more PLPC than RGPC, SPNP, ERDMLC, HDMLHDP, HDMLHDR.

It would be in the top 5 of PC sold which is a remarkable turnaround.

• 4 weeks later...

had another look at these. had so enjoyed it when did the earlier review that got a cab from rob (unfortunately i have put them in deep storage and cannot find where i jotted down the box reference but they were recent arrivals). even more impressed this time. no problem at all with the burn, consistent and very slow. powerful flavours, of the ilk noted. rich and full. will smoke a few of them over the next year or two but think that with three or more years on them, they will become really exciting. i'd revise the score for this one up to 91. one that i would seriously recommend to anyone who enjoys cigars at the powerful end of the spectrum or likes the size. and i would strongly urge some restraint and keep a few in the humidor for down the track.

I have often found a Caramel taste in each well aged Por Larranaga. The younger ones IMO have not had time for that flavor to develop yet, but I look forward to it when I smoke them. That is why I have a few aging for 5 years.

• 1 month later...

Por Larrunga Petit Corona

Sept 05 - Lisbon. Had to laugh with this. It was my first smoke on the trip and I was keen for one as had been on planes forever. A few of us had headed out first night and had some sensational sardines and then settled back for some giraffe beers - they are so tall, glasses about 18 inches, hence the name. This was in the plaza down by the river/sea front. Quite fabulous at night. I was really enjoying this - it is an outdoor dining area, though smoking seems almost compulsory in Portugal and many times did folks light up at the next table in indoor restaurants. It was that full-flavoured, rich, earthy powerful PLPC style. Worth a solid 91 and one of my absolute fav PC’s. Next thing, the chap at the nearby table, part of an older couple, starts carrying on and his arms are waving and there is much foreign language. I thought - here we go. Others were smoking cigarettes and I was buggered if at near midnight in an outdoor spot where it is almost encouraged that I was going to stop. Turns out that the gentleman was from Tuscany and far from being offended, it seems that he does not particularly like Portugese coffee (fairly average stuff, mostly) and the aroma from the cigar had made life worthwhile. He was delighted. Unfortunately, I didn’t have a spare one for him.

My cab is near exhaustion. This is one of my favorite PCs. I'm trying to hold off on a few to see how they change over time. The last couple I had were a bit dissapointing so I've set the others aside but will try one again before long. I find the '04 production to have a slightly different taste from the '02 production runs of these I've had before. The recent production is stronger in my opinion -- whether this is simply a factor of age is an unknown, but to me they actually *taste* different.

Smoked my first one yesterday - very enjoyable.

I don't know the codes, but I assume recent production.

It started with a subtle honey sweetness that remained throughout.

About a third of the way or so in, it started to become very earthy,

and kept an earthy core the rest of the way.

At about two thirds in, it picked up some nice caramel notes, with

roasted nuts mixed in. I'm going to leave what I have left alone,

as I really look forward to how these develop.

I have two boxes of these pre-discontinuance and they are fantastic. I box is down for the long count and I have sampled about five now from the other box.

Just a great cigar IMHO.

Guest gorob23

A really good smoke, but hard to find in a cab :-|

ThreadJACK on!!

Hey spsurfin where in so Cal are You? I'm on the Deck in MB:cool:

Ok I'm done:-D

» A really good smoke, but hard to find in a cab :-|

»

» ThreadJACK on!!

»

» Hey spsurfin where in so Cal are You? I'm on the Deck in MB:cool:

»

» Ok I'm done:-D

I'm in the Los Angeles area. About 20 mile East of Pasadena

• 2 weeks later...

I remember what my '02s tasted like when fresh and I don't think the new '04s are the same IMHO...

The new 04's are good but they have a little more spice to them than the older ones when young...

I hope they will develop that caramel characteristic from the older runs although there are hints of it in the new run...