Impressions of some 2006 favorites

shrink

Over the past couple months, I have been sampling some recent (2006) issues of my favorite vitolas, to determine what's worth putting away. To my surprise, and delight, I am discovering quite a few that are not only worth aging, but are already smoking quite well.

I'm less than halfway through my research, but the conclusion is inescapable: 2006 is shaping up to be a great year. Here are some initial impressions, based on at least two, and as many as four, examples of each cigar:

Montecristo No. 2 - Frankly, this is the most promising young No. 2 I've ever smoked. Easily the strongest No. 2, including examples I've had from 2001 through 2005, it delivers loads of those bittersweet Monte flavors: coffee, cocoa, and does so without harshness. I got some singles, plus a box to age, and have enjoyed every inch of these. This is the classic piramide at its best. Highly recommended.

Diplomaticos No. 2 - Hands down, the strongest and most flavorful issue from 2001 on, I've already gotten a box of these, and they aren't going to age for long. Rich, sweet "paprika" spices, and mouth-watering citrus tang. Yum!

Bolivar Royal Coronas - What a tasty smoke, and all ready to rock n' roll! These start off with sweet tobacco, white pepper and lots of twang. They have a sweet and sour quality that reminds me of a hard candy, and the flavors just seem to melt in your mouth. Don't miss these. Absolutely first rate.

Romeo Cazadores - Yes, I know the reputation, that they need years and years before they are "approachable". To be sure, my recent Caz are young and brash, but not at all harsh. The depth of flavor is remarkable. Better than the '99s and '04s I've had. So, I got two boxes. One to age, one to smoke now. Outstanding.

Hoyo Epicure No. 1 - I've always had a fondness for this cigar, and the '06s are some of the best. They're strong, and rival my favorite '04s in terms of flavor and potential. They're going down for the count.

Partagas Serie D No. 4 - Not the best I've had, but not bad either. Plenty of delicious wood and spice, and tons of pepper. My only complaint is that they seem to lack the tobacco sweetness that I associate with young PSD4's. If you need some stock, you won't be disappointed.

Vegas Robaina Famosos - These opened with a blast of spice, and pressed their case through a strong finish. As good as any young Famosos I've had. These have the moxie to go the distance, if you want to put 'em down. Recommended.

Upmann No. 2 - These were only fair, although like most Upmanns, they will benefit from serious age. However, I'm not buying.

Upmann Connaisseur No. 1 - Again, they don't have the strength of my '04s, or the richness and complexity of the '98s. No brainer, eh? I'd wait on these.

Ramon Allones Specially Selected - These '06 samples exhibited the trademark RASS flavor profile: a toasty tobacco core, layered with nuts, fruitiness, and a bittersweet chocolate finish. Complex, strong and tannic, this cigar won't be ready for at least a couple of years. Recommended for aging.

That's it for now. More will follow. Rob says that the '06s are among the strongest of the vintages that he's seen, and attributes their readiness to the aged ligero that Habanos has been using in the past year. I believe it.

Thanks very much for this information, Doctor. As posted in another thread, I must concur about the '06 Bolivar RCs. I haven't tried any of the other '06s you've reviewed, but find these reports to be both interesting and very encouraging.:clap: I'm curious to read any other such reports in future regarding the new crop. Any thoughts on the '06 RASS? I had one the other night (POS MAR 06) and was very pleased.

Thanks for the fantastic handicapping, Bob!

I agree with you regarding the Caz, the Boli and the VRs. I have not been a fan of the Monte 2 (take 'em or leave 'em) but it sounds like I'll need to give them a spin this season.

I'd like to hear more about the Partagas, Ramon Allones, and Bolivar marcas. I really enjoyed the 05 Bolis would like to get your impressions of the new batch.

Wilkey

Of the list provided, the only one that I have sampled has been the VR Famosos, and I concur with Bob's assessment. The VR Famosos from 2006 in my opinion is the Best Robusto/Hermosos No. 4 coming out of the gate at this time. The flavors display a much older flavor profile with developing complexity which is not only very enjoyable right now, but in my opinion will continue to develop and age very well into the future. If you enjoy the creamy mocha, nuttiness, chocolate bean flavors, then this is a must have for your rotation.

• 1 month later...

» Over the past couple months, I have been sampling some recent (2006) issues

» of my favorite vitolas, to determine what's worth putting away. To my

» surprise, and delight, I am discovering quite a few that are not only

» worth aging, but are already smoking quite well.

»

» I'm less than halfway through my research, but the conclusion is

» inescapable: 2006 is shaping up to be a great year. Here are some initial

» impressions, based on at least two, and as many as four, examples of each

» cigar:

»

» Montecristo No. 2 - Frankly, this is the most promising young No. 2 I've

» ever smoked. Easily the strongest No. 2, including examples I've had from

» 2001 through 2005, it delivers loads of those bittersweet Monte flavors:

» coffee, cocoa, and does so without harshness. I got some singles, plus a

» box to age, and have enjoyed every inch of these. This is the classic

» piramide at its best. Highly recommended.

»

» Diplomaticos No. 2 - Hands down, the strongest and most flavorful issue

» from 2001 on, I've already gotten a box of these, and they aren't going to

» age for long. Rich, sweet "paprika" spices, and mouth-watering citrus tang.

» Yum!

»

» Bolivar Royal Coronas - What a tasty smoke, and all ready to rock n' roll!

» These start off with sweet tobacco, white pepper and lots of twang. They

» have a sweet and sour quality that reminds me of a hard candy, and the

» flavors just seem to melt in your mouth. Don't miss these. Absolutely

» first rate.

»

» Romeo Cazadores - Yes, I know the reputation, that they need years and

» years before they are "approachable". To be sure, my recent Caz are young

» and brash, but not at all harsh. The depth of flavor is remarkable. Better

» than the '99s and '04s I've had. So, I got two boxes. One to age, one to

» smoke now. Outstanding.

»

» Hoyo Epicure No. 1 - I've always had a fondness for this cigar, and the

» '06s are some of the best. They're strong, and rival my favorite '04s in

» terms of flavor and potential. They're going down for the count.

»

» Partagas Serie D No. 4 - Not the best I've had, but not bad either. Plenty

» of delicious wood and spice, and tons of pepper. My only complaint is that

» they seem to lack the tobacco sweetness that I associate with young

» PSD4's. If you need some stock, you won't be disappointed.

»

» Vegas Robaina Famosos - These opened with a blast of spice, and pressed

» their case through a strong finish. As good as any young Famosos I've had.

» These have the moxie to go the distance, if you want to put 'em down.

» Recommended.

»

» Upmann No. 2 - These were only fair, although like most Upmanns, they will

» benefit from serious age. However, I'm not buying.

»

» Upmann Connaisseur No. 1 - Again, they don't have the strength of my '04s,

» or the richness and complexity of the '98s. No brainer, eh? I'd wait on

» these.

»

» Ramon Allones Specially Selected - These '06 samples exhibited the

» trademark RASS flavor profile: a toasty tobacco core, layered with nuts,

» fruitiness, and a bittersweet chocolate finish. Complex, strong and

» tannic, this cigar won't be ready for at least a couple of years.

» Recommended for aging.

»

» That's it for now. More will follow. Rob says that the '06s are among the

» strongest of the vintages that he's seen, and attributes their readiness

» to the aged ligero that Habanos has been using in the past year. I believe

» it.

Hey Bob,

How about an update on further experiences with the above vitolas or other 06's that you've since tried?

Wilkey

How about an update on further experiences with the above vitolas or other 06's that you've since tried?

Sure, Wilkey. I've smoked more examples of most of the above, but I don't think I've changed my opinions much. I've tried some others:

The '06 Siglo II is a very, very impressive smoke. Right out of the gate, it grabs your attention with its full-bodied strength and depth of flavor... rare for a young Cohiba. Like smoking a honeyed creme brulee, dusted with cinnamon, cocoa, and white pepper. An ethereal twang finishes it off. The last third was marred by whiffs of ammonia, but that only reminded me just how much development there is in store. Really, it didn't diminish the pure satisfaction, and massive potential, that I experience in this cigar. With age, a real classic.

My first experience with an '06 Montecristo Especial wasn't quite as dramatic, but was very satisfying. Unlike the Siglo, the Especial tasted mature and balanced, like it had been aged for years. Rich, toasty bittersweet spices with a honeyed finish. For me, this is perhaps the best example so far of the potential inherent in using aged fillers. I grabbed a box and put 'em directly into the go-to humidor. Like the Cazadores, Bolis, and Monte 2s, I'm gonna enjoy these NOW.

I was disappointed with the recent Hoyo de Dieux. While the body and woody flavors were there, there just wasn't any sweetness at all, and they had a somewhat sour finish. Perhaps with time they'll come around. I have two more that I'll leave alone until at least next year.

I've only smoked one young Juan Lopez No. 2 so far, but I wasn't impressed. My FEB05 box is superior, in both construction and flavor. I still have another '06, so I'll let it rest for a while for having another go.

I still have quite a few more young vitolas, resting up for their moment of destiny. I can't wait!

» How about an update on further experiences with the above vitolas or

» other 06's that you've since tried?

»

» Sure, Wilkey. I've smoked more examples of most of the above, but I don't

» think I've changed my opinions much. I've tried some others:

»

» The '06 Siglo II is a very, very impressive smoke. Right out of the gate,

» it grabs your attention with its full-bodied strength and depth of

» flavor... rare for a young Cohiba. Like smoking a honeyed creme brulee,

» dusted with cinnamon, cocoa, and white pepper. An ethereal twang finishes

» it off. The last third was marred by whiffs of ammonia, but that only

» reminded me just how much development there is in store. Really, it didn't

» diminish the pure satisfaction, and massive potential, that I experience in

» this cigar. With age, a real classic.

»

» My first experience with an '06 Montecristo Especial wasn't quite as

» dramatic, but was very satisfying. Unlike the Siglo, the Especial tasted

» mature and balanced, like it had been aged for years. Rich, toasty

» bittersweet spices with a honeyed finish. For me, this is perhaps the best

» example so far of the potential inherent in using aged fillers. I grabbed a

» box and put 'em directly into the go-to humidor. Like the Cazadores, Bolis,

» and Monte 2s, I'm gonna enjoy these NOW.

»

» I was disappointed with the recent Hoyo de Dieux. While the body and woody

» flavors were there, there just wasn't any sweetness at all, and they had a

» somewhat sour finish. Perhaps with time they'll come around. I have two

» more that I'll leave alone until at least next year.

»

» I've only smoked one young Juan Lopez No. 2 so far, but I wasn't

» impressed. My FEB05 box is superior, in both construction and flavor. I

» still have another '06, so I'll let it rest for a while for having another

» go.

»

» I still have quite a few more young vitolas, resting up for their moment

» of destiny. I can't wait!

Faaaaantastic, Bob. Thank you for sharing your impressions. BTW, have you had a chance to try the 06 Mag46?

Wilkey

Shrink thanks for the mini-reviews and I concur that the 06 stuff is ready to go for the most part. I have sent 06s to a few fellows for them to try because I was so pleased with them. My box of 06 RASS has the most beautiful dark red wrappers that I have ever seen and they are great when you light them too.

Have you tried the 06 CoRo? I like mine.

» Shrink thanks for the mini-reviews and I concur that the 06 stuff is ready

» to go for the most part. I have sent 06s to a few fellows for them to try

» because I was so pleased with them. My box of 06 RASS has the most

» beautiful dark red wrappers that I have ever seen and they are great when

» you light them too.

»

» Have you tried the 06 CoRo? I like mine.

Hey Mel,

What's the month code on those RASS of yours?

Wilkey

Bob if you liked them Dip #2s's so much you should try the others. I have had #1-#5 and ohh baby they are all good. I'm giving the #4 the trophy for now.

Some other off-the-top-of-my-head 2006 offerings I have thoroughly enjoyed but you had not mentioned:

Siglo II

CoRo

El Principe

JL #2

Epicure #2

Siglo VI

The Principes are so f'in good. I got a box and I have almost smoked the whole thing in less than 2 weeks.

I am looking forward to trying out the Hoyo PR from 2006.

Oh, and I also was rather disappointed in the '06 des dieuxs. I have a cab and it has been relegated to deep storage while I finish 2 cabs from 2000 and 2 others from 2003!

Bob if you liked them Dip #2s's so much you should try the others.

WA... I got two boxes of the No. 1's and they're even better than the No. 2's. Beyond delicious. Currently my favorite lonsdale, I'm reaching for 'em more than the Parties and Montes.

BTW, I just smoked my first '06 Partagas P2 that I've had in the humidor for the past month. I was really anticipating this one, but ended up disappointed.

There was no doubt about the impact of the aged filler. The piramide was very smooth and well-integrated right out of the gate, but it lacked the "ooomph" I've come to expect from this vitola. Just too tame for my palate: not enough pepper and spice, but at least it was sweet and tangy, and mouth-watering. I didn't like the finish; it tasted "off". Medium-bodied, at best. I really prefer the '06 PSD4, which is a stick of dynamite. I actually lost interest in this cigar and put it out about 2/3 of the way... that's rare for me and a Partagas.

Of course, this is just one cigar, but I think that the aged filler has changed the whole character of the P2. I am fortunate to have purchased enough early '05s to have some to smoke and some to age for a couple or more years. IMO, the early '05s are superior to the '06s... so far.

• 1 month later...

» Bob if you liked them Dip #2s's so much you should try the others.

»

» BTW, I just smoked my first '06 Partagas P2 that I've had in the humidor

» for the past month. I was really anticipating this one, but ended up

» disappointed.

»

» There was no doubt about the impact of the aged filler. The piramide was

» very smooth and well-integrated right out of the gate, but it lacked the

» "ooomph" I've come to expect from this vitola. Just too tame for my

» palate: not enough pepper and spice, but at least it was sweet and tangy,

» and mouth-watering. I didn't like the finish; it tasted "off".

» Medium-bodied, at best. I really prefer the '06 PSD4, which is a stick of

» dynamite. I actually lost interest in this cigar and put it out about 2/3

» of the way... that's rare for me and a Partagas.

»

» Of course, this is just one cigar, but I think that the aged filler has

» changed the whole character of the P2. I am fortunate to have purchased

» enough early '05s to have some to smoke and some to age for a couple or

» more years. IMO, the early '05s are superior to the '06s... so far.

My psp2's have been the same as yours Bob....weak