Bolivar Belicoso Fino

What can I say about this cigar? IMO it is, and always has been, the king of torpedos/belicosos. It was a bit on the light side as far as color, but no veins were present, and it was silky to the touch. The draw was PERFECT, and the burn never needed one touch up. The flavor was brilliant with earthy, spicy notes and a ton of dense smoke. I smoked it outside the front door, which is actually slightly enclosed, and the aroma was just wonderful. This cigar started off spicy right off the bat, and after about 5 minutes settled into a smooth, complex, medium to full bodied smoke all the way to the end. I noticed some cedar undertones as well. As to the date of production, it's anyone's guess since Rob didn't enclose the box code *COUGH COUGH*. You know the old saying that cuban cigars are rolled on the thighs of virgin women? Rob must know some really important people; This one must have been rolled on the thigh of the Virgin Mary because it was GOD like :-P . I can't remember another cigar that was as good as this one.

Construction 2/2

Burn 3/3

Draw 20/20

Flavor 73/75

Final score 98/100

The BBF is one of my all-time favorite cigars, but for some reason, this particular one just had it going ON.

The BBF was the second Habanos I ever smoked. Starting at the top huh? I am never without a few of these. I agree that these are some of the best Belicosos.

Where are you on this one Dave K?

» I've had a few late 04 production and didn't care for them. Rob, has there

» been some muddled BBF's going around?

I have an 04 box which are mutted a bit. Will let them sit a long time and see the results.

Muted cigars and sick periods deserve a thread of their own. The BBF is subject more than most IMHO to a muted period.

I can have say 10 boxes of August 04 and 50% will be muted in flavour and 50% robust and superb. All same factory.

In my experience and again...IMHO...you reduce the risk of an intense Sick Period of no flavour by choosing Light tan to Colorado wrapperrd BBF with nice blotches of oil. The higher risk BBF have a darker thicker wrapper which are rough to the touch. They can look spectacular but again I think the thicker young wrapper creates an imbalance to the cigar which takes an age to get right.

When I choose a dark wrapper under instruction...I try to choose the thinnest wrapper possible.

• 1 month later...

I agree with the lighter wrapper theory, I have some 02's that are light in color and smoked wonderfully from the begining and some 01's that are now smoking great but took a while to come around.

This has also happened with some 04 Shorts that I got, 1 cab with light wrappers isn't going to last long the other with fire proof wrappers is going down for a long nap.

» Muted cigars and sick periods deserve a thread of their own. The BBF is

» subject more than most IMHO to a muted period.

»

» I can have say 10 boxes of August 04 and 50% will be muted in flavour and

» 50% robust and superb. All same factory.

»

» In my experience and again...IMHO...you reduce the risk of an intense Sick

» Period of no flavour by choosing Light tan to Colorado wrapperrd BBF with

» nice blotches of oil. The higher risk BBF have a darker thicker wrapper

» which are rough to the touch. They can look spectacular but again I think

» the thicker young wrapper creates an imbalance to the cigar which takes an

» age to get right.

»

» When I choose a dark wrapper under instruction...I try to choose the

» thinnest wrapper possible.

very interesting...I wish I'd seen this before I got my Cab.They are really dark as far as the wrapper goes....almost to the point of looking quite EL-ish. Now I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not.:-|

Mikey.

The Mantra from many clients is "DARK and OILY" "DARK and OILY" "DARK and OILY" .......or "Aged DARK and OILY"

Excepy in the situation where you have a thin dark, drippingly toothed wrapper......you can have as many dark wrappered cigars as you want.

The real gems are thin and sheeny colorado.

I have had both light and dark wrappers on the BBF.And the light one's taste unreal.But the dark one's i have now are really coming around and are very tasty.Next time i order i will ask Rob for light one's.Hey i say just order a box of each as both are great tasting.

• 3 weeks later...

» Muted cigars and sick periods deserve a thread of their own. The BBF is

» subject more than most IMHO to a muted period.

»

» I can have say 10 boxes of August 04 and 50% will be muted in flavour and

» 50% robust and superb. All same factory.

»

» In my experience and again...IMHO...you reduce the risk of an intense Sick

» Period of no flavour by choosing Light tan to Colorado wrapperrd BBF with

» nice blotches of oil. The higher risk BBF have a darker thicker wrapper

» which are rough to the touch. They can look spectacular but again I think

» the thicker young wrapper creates an imbalance to the cigar which takes an

» age to get right.

Interesting. Especially since I just smoked a dark-wrappered BBF from 2002 yesterday that was a) tight as hell and B) almost entirely flat, flavorwise. Occasionally got hints of deliciousness, but more often than not, just plain tobacco with only a hint of Cuban flavor. Sigh.

Great review. I just smoked a med. colored BBF (TDV NOV 03) that was out of this world. Luckily I laid down half the cab. I think I'm gonna have to wait another year cause these gems can only get better. IMHO better than the cab that I have resting from 04.

» » I have a cab of 2000 partagas lonsdales and they fit the light thin

» » colorado wrapper proflie and they are developing a great tea character

» at

» » this point in time.

»

» Wow! That's some cab! Any cab I've bought only had 50 cigars in it.

LOL:-D I meant a cab dated 2000 of 50 cigars.

• 3 weeks later...

» » I have a cab of 2000 partagas lonsdales and they fit the light thin

» » colorado wrapper proflie and they are developing a great tea character

» at

» » this point in time.

»

» Wow! That's some cab! Any cab I've bought only had 50 cigars in it.

There are cabs w/25!