How do you light your cigars?

I must admit that I'm a fairly amatuer cigar smoker. I've probably smoked less then 50 cubans in my time (hey I'm only 25 :)).

One thing I've always wondered is what's the best way to light a cigar, to ensure an even burn? I'd appreciate any tips :-P

Torch lighter (Blazer brand is great). Take your time. Don't letthe flame of he torch lighter touch the foot of the cigar. Toast the end from afar for a good 20-30 seconds.Turn the cigar ensureing the foot is completely and evenly toasted. Raise to mouth and draw in the cigar while still toasting the foot....WHOOSH! the end is alight in a massive eruption of flame which lasts no more than a 1/2 second. Draw once, draw twice and inspect the red ember at the foot ensuring even coverage...if there is a non red ember section....touch it up with the torch. Draw again and reinspect.

Life is now in equilibrium :cool:

• 4 years later...

Found this old thread and thought expanding on it would be better than starting a new one. I've been hooked on using an alcohol burner to light my cigars for the past few months. Here I roast the foot by resting the cigar on something stable within an inch of the flame. It takes several minutes for the coal to glow consistently across the entire foot, but I've found this method fruitful, because I have a tendency to lose patience and just char the end to get it lit. Here I just set it and forget it, until it is done.

post-2888-1247588660.jpg

Found this old thread and thought expanding on it would be better than starting a new one. I've been hooked on using an alcohol burner to light my cigars for the past few months. Here I roast the foot by resting the cigar on something stable within an inch of the flame. It takes several minutes for the coal to glow consistently across the entire foot, but I've found this method fruitful, because I have a tendency to lose patience and just char the end to get it lit. Here I just set it and forget it, until it is done.

Is there a problem with fuel residue getting into your cigar using that method to light? I always thought liquid and solid fuel (bar maybe matches?) flames don't combust the fuel completely and leave your cigar with some nasty unburned hydrocarbons.

Hi! Be assured that the cigar burns right! She should burn on all diameter of an open tip.. Be attentive! Good luck! Cheers! Use matches or a gas-lighter but not use the gasoline-lighter like Zippo!

Burning alcohol only produces water and carbon dioxide. That was the one thing that turned me on to this method. Which was I would completely eliminate all possible contaminants or extraneous odors found in splints and lighters. And allow me to gently roast the foot instead of torching it to death with a lighter.

I generally use a blazer torch. It's easy to get carried away though and char the foot which will make it a bit on the rough side for a few mintues..

The Prez is absolutely correct; however patience is the key. I unfortunately often find myself lacking in that regard. It does not ruin the cigar, but like ethernut stated, it can create an unpleasent taste for the first few minutes.

I use a butane torch style lighter but I always find myself going back to good old wooden matches. When using wooden matches make sure that you let the sulfer and such burn off before roasting and lighting your cigar . You do not want to impart any bad flavors.

A couple of concepts I've never fully bought into.....

First, the using (or not using) of Zippos. I used a Zippo for years and never had any problem with off flavors. The only reason I switched to a butane

torch is because I smoke outside and the torch flame is easier to deal with in breezy conditions.

Second, the slow toasting of cigars. I'm of the opinion that whether done slowly or not, we're doing the same thing. The foot becomes black, then white.

I tend to dispense with formality and get right down to business. Generally, my cigars are lit before I ever take a draw. I've not noticed a difference in

initial flavor either way.

Again, just personal observation / opinion.

I usually dont cut the cap prior to lighting it. I prefer to fully light the cigar using a Cedar stick, if it's not windy outside, or torch lighter. As rob said I prefer not to let the flame touch the foot but instead let it roast gently. It usually takes about 60 to 120 seconds before its' fully lit, of course you rotate the cigar gently and slowly.

Once my cigar is lit I cut the cap and usually my first puff is as good as you can get :). But really at the end of the day everything that has been metioned here works and you will end up with the same result.

Colt I am a little bit sceptical about the Zippo lighting as I believe it does affect the taste.

Colt...funny that you mention the Zippo. This past weekend I was with a couple of friends, and as our kids played in the pool, we decided to have a smoke. I had forgotten to buy some butane, and my torches were dry, so we ended up using a Zippos I've had since 1994. While I normally use a torch to avoid any funky flavors, I have to admit that other than the initial smell that came from lighting the Zippo, I didn't taste anything different in my cigar. Maybe I just don't have a sensitive enough palate. Or maybe the funky taste people get comes more from the smell of the fuel lingering in their nose than from the cigar.

Extra long, sulfur free, wooden matches. I favor the Davidoff brand - they strike easily, no offensive odor, burn relatively slowly, good length and subtantial wood (never have broken or split during lighting).

With the cigar in your mouth, hold the lit match just in front of the cigar. Keeping the cigar perpendicular to the flame, rotate the cigar once or twice completely around to warm the foot. Then, while rotating the cigar start to draw on the cigar several times. Shallow, quick draws to bring the flame to the tobacco. The cigar foot should be lit evenly by this point, then discard match. Simply pull the cigar from mouth and inspect your work.

If I'm inside or there is no wind I find a bit of relaxation in going through the "ceremony" of toasting the foot for 30-60 seconds then lighting the cigar. I'm always pleased with how quickly it lights up as opposed to lighting a cold cigar. If I'm outside and it's breezy, then a torch lighter full on does the trick. As Colt said, the results seem to be the same.

As for using a Zippo type lighter, I have never used one so I can't say.

Re the zippo, I know many feel they impart an off taste to cigars - I've just not experienced it myself. Perhaps it might have something to do

with the odor versus an actual taste, as TCM has mentioned. But, if I light my butane torch indoors, I can smell it after I extinguish it. It's certainly

not something I'd get into a pissing match over.

Nor am I against or do I find fault with any kind of ritual or ceremony when it comes to the lighting of a cigar. I've even read of a method which

requires the use of three cedar spills. For me personally, it's impractical, and again, I feel that lit is lit.

My favorite method involves rubbing two cigars together - like using sticks to make a fire in the woods.

Sure it takes a little longer, but the flavor you get is heavenly.

But seriously, a good torch lighter does the trick for me.

Like Colt, I don't notice any difference when lighting with a Zippo :lookaround: But, just in case, I use wooden matches and I do let all the sulphur burn up before approching the foot. The ritual of cigar smoking is important to me, and wood matches are part of it! :cigar:

When I find myself out of $100 bills I will use my single flame torch as an alternative

:violin: Same here. Mines an el cheapo torch, I think they all work much the same. :clap: I do spend some time on not getting a whole lot of heat quickly onto the foot but work it around a bit from a distance. Also I find the centre will burn fine without a lot of attention so I make really sure I have the 'ring of confidence' - a millimetre or so of grey ash showing on the wrapper, then take the first long draw. :violin:

Far more often than not I use a torch, but in a pinch I've used Bics, Djeeps, Zippos and matches with few or no ill effects. If using a Zippo, I let it burn for a few seconds to let any accumulated fuel burn off.