Gold watch worn by richest passenger aboard Titanic to be sold at auction

All things Titanic are popular in my home town. I know they guy who discovered the Titanic and grew up with his kids. 

• Like 3

Fascinating stuff. A little sad items like these don't stay within the original family owners . I guess some people sell their souls for a few bucks. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, westg said:

Fascinating stuff. A little sad items like these don't stay within the original family owners . I guess some people sell their souls for a few bucks. 

I feel the same way, but everything has its price I guess. Fortunately for me the family heirlooms aren’t very valuable. There is something to be said for selling things to people who will take care of them. Roberto Clemente’s family sold a lot of his key memorabilia/rings, some of which were purchased by a family member of mine. He’s stayed in touch with the family actually - they were permanently loaning the items to museums and felt like they might as well transfer ownership and get some money out of it (ball players then made nothing compared to today). 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MrBirdman said:

I feel the same way, but everything has its price I guess. Fortunately for me the family heirlooms aren’t very valuable. There is something to be said for selling things to people who will take care of them. Roberto Clemente’s family sold a lot of his key memorabilia/rings, some of which were purchased by a family member of mine. He’s stayed in touch with the family actually - they were permanently loaning the items to museums and felt like they might as well transfer ownership and get some money out of it (ball players then made nothing compared to today). 

Oh man...and it is Roberto Clemente we're talking about, after all! What a legend of the game of Baseball!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

What’s remarkable is that everyone is apparently relying on the family’s claim this is the watch that was recovered. Presumably he owned several. All we know for sure is that his body was recovered with one. But I suppose all that matters is that most people believe it’s legit. 

• Like 2