Has anyone else seen cigar damage like this?

I just finished a box of Punch Punch so went into the humi to open my next box. I have 2 other boxes of PP, one from 20 and one from 21, from different vendors that will remain anonymous. I peeked at the boxes when I got them, and then put them away and don’t remember ever looking at them hard other than a quick inspection maybe.

Well today when looking over both boxes and try to decide which one to start smoking, I see what I think is split wrappers on two cigars, 1 in each box. At first I think something is wrong with my humidor humidity, but it never was over 67%, right now it’s at 64-65. Monitor with SensorPush. Each cigar that was damaged was the furthest right cigar on the top stack, and both in the same place. I got to thinking, no way I had to random wrapper splits in the same spot on two cigars in two different boxes.

Now I’m thinking, is this damage from a box cutter when the vendors open up the box for inspection? This is right below the corner Habanos sticker on the top right of the boxes. Has anyone else gotten cigars like this or just my luck🤪

IMG_8351.jpeg

Seen it many times, usually cigars on the edges of the box. Combination of dry conditions and impact to the box sides. Can be hard to see until the cigar is removed to inspect the side.

• Like 1

Make a patch of leaf from a cap you cut off and use some pectin or PerfecRepair®️ cigar glue to seal the split. May not work throughout the entire smoking period, but it's worth a try. Alternatively, I have also used a single flame torch to 'cauterize' the split by burning along the edges. Oftentimes, this will seal the wrapper to the binder and prevent the split from going further. Either method is worth a go before tossing the cigars into the bin.

• Like 1

I’ve seen this as well, same cigar in the box and same marca and vitola. It’s gotta be from when they open to inspect the box. It could have also been missed at inspection and split from being over humidified in transit, they seem stuffed into the dress boxes. I’ve gently wiggled the band free and moved it to cover the split to be able to smoke them. 

2 hours ago, GaryK 54 said:

Make a patch of leaf from a cap you cut off and use some pectin or PerfecRepair®️ cigar glue to seal the split. May not work throughout the entire smoking period, but it's worth a try. Alternatively, I have also used a single flame torch to 'cauterize' the split by burning along the edges. Oftentimes, this will seal the wrapper to the binder and prevent the split from going further. Either method is worth a go before tossing the cigars into the bin.

I have tried the first method you mentioned with cigar glue and leaf patch. You are right. Sometimes it works, but other times I end up pitching it.

For any major repair such as that I would suggest using cut to size RAW rolling paper and PerfectRepair cigar glue. RAW rolling paper will handle that big gashing hole 100X better than tobbaco pieces and will stay firmly intact until burned. 

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for the confirmation of my suspicions. I'll try the recommended repair methods and hopefully salvage at least some of the stick!

9 hours ago, Jackdani7401 said:

I’ve seen this as well, same cigar in the box and same marca and vitola. It’s gotta be from when they open to inspect the box. It could have also been missed at inspection and split from being over humidified in transit, they seem stuffed into the dress boxes. I’ve gently wiggled the band free and moved it to cover the split to be able to smoke them. 

. Yup, both of these dress boxes are stuffed pretty tight...the one with the bigger gash more so.