Olympic Cigar Relay: Petit Corona

This was a deck discussion hypothesising a cigar Olympic finals in 4 categories. Yes, We cover all the big issues on the deck :rolleyes:

There are four races/categories.  

1. Petit Corona
  2. Robusto
  3. Piramide
  4. Double Robusto

CC and NC are competing for the Gold in each category. As a group we are to work together to nominate 4 cigars in each category. 4 CC and 4 NC. 

Let’s start with Petit Corona.

Which will be the 4 cigars representing Cuba. 

Which will be the 4 cigars representing FWC  (free world cigars).

Part  one: Petit Corona only today. ;)

14 hours ago, CaptainQuintero said:

PLPC not even bothering to warm up, just stood touching up it's baby oil application and gratuitously filling out those speedos.

Would Siglo II head up the CC Petit Corona team :thinking:

• Like 2

How strict are we being on the definition of a petit corona? eg would a party short or el principe count? 

Feel like Cuba gets off to a flyer either way. So many great short sticks - M4, PLPC, Siglo ii, Boli PC - all delicious imo and would make up my shortlist if we’re going with 42 x 5&1/8 ish. If forced to pick one, I can’t look past the Siglo ii. Just offers that glimmer of hope that you might catch something special - race could well be over after leg 1.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MagicalBikeRide said:

How strict are we being on the definition of a petit corona? eg would a party short or el principe count? 

Feel like Cuba gets off to a flyer either way. So many great short sticks - M4, PLPC, Siglo ii, Boli PC - all delicious imo and would make up my shortlist if we’re going with 42 x 5&1/8 ish. If forced to pick one, I can’t look past the Siglo ii. Just offers that glimmer of hope that you might catch something special - race could well be over after leg 1.

I am not that strict in definition of PC. Sizing is different between NC and FWC. 

You would think Cuba has this Petit Corona relay covered. 

However I am more interested in the NC (FWC) cigars. 

I would put the Padron 1926 Anny Principe Maduro up against any Cuban PC baring perhaps the Siglo II at's best. 

However I am struggling for other NC Petit Corona that rival the Paddy Anny.  If there are, i would love to try them. What a great sampler that woudl be, the best PC of Cuba v the best of the Free World. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Presidente said:

Would Siglo II head up the CC  Petit Corona team :thinking:

BPC would be the captain of my PC team.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, El Presidente said:

Would Siglo II head up the CC  Petit Corona team :thinking:

I'm seeing the Siglo 2 as Pierce Brosnan's character in Mrs Doubtfire: no one doubts it's pedigree but a bit of a dick. He'll be the one carrying the flag for Cuba in the opening ceremony, will probably suffer a tragic wardrobe malfunction in the final and get pipped to the post by the RyJ Mille Fleur

• Haha 2

For NC/FWC I’d like to nominate the Illusione epernay & the Oliva Serie V #4 PC (The OG, not the Melanio crap)

• Like 1

CC

#1 Cohiba Siglo 2

#2 Bolivar Petit Coronas

#3 Por Larranaga Petit Coronas

#4 Montecristo No.4

I also love Partagas Aristcrats, HdM Palmas Extra and Rafael Gonzalez Petit Coronas.

NC

#1 Davidoff 2000

• Like 3

Kicking off the relay, it has to be PLPC. Young, brash, full of piss and vinegar, he's going to be the one pounding his chest and geeing up the crowd just before he explodes off the blocks. Next will be Bolivar PC, not as bold as his teammate PLPC, but a strong contender that delivers when needed. He may not have power or youthful exuberance, but he has a certain intensity that shines through. Next up is Monte 4; consistency and reliability are his main strengths. He's been around a long time, and some wonder if he can still be at the top end of the game, but you just know the hand off to the final leg will go smoothly. Taking it into the final leg it will be the prima donna, the strutting peacock, Siglo II. Though he talks up a big game, and relies on the rep of his Siglo brethren, he delivers in spades and brings home the gold.

• Like 1

Definitely think PLPC and Boli PC are in contention here along with the Siglo II for CCs.

For FWCs I’d toss out the Warped La Colmena and the Tatuaje Noellas Reserva. Both very different sticks, but each scratches a specific itch for me.

NC- 

Nudie N4

Padron Principe

Rocky Patel Vintage 99 PC

thats all for FWC that ive had.

CC-

Plpc

Monte 4

Siglo

Boli PC

I like them all for different reasons. 

• Like 1

CC

- Reyes, PLPC, Monte 4, BPC

FWC

- Padrón 1964 Aniversario Príncipe Maduro, Plasencia Reserva Original Nesticos, there is a nice one by Aladino I don’t remember the name I smoked a couple times, others I have not tried enough.

• Like 1

I’ll skip nominating Cubans as it appears there is a consensus.

For Non-Cubans: 1) Aladino Corojo Reserva #4, 2) Arturo Fuente Don Carlos #4, 3) Warped Sky Moon L.E., 4) Puro Desnudo N4 Petit Corona.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fuzz said:

Though he talks up a big game, and relies on the rep of his Siglo brethren, he delivers in spades and brings home the gold.

Have to admit it, when at its best the Siglo II wins my vote too.

I can't help with NC I never had one 😅

• Like 1

There's one Petit Corona CC that's never mentioned anywhere and it compells me tbh...

What do you guys think of the Punch Coronations? I've had phenomenal boxes of these with unmatched consistency and yet, it doesn't ever get the love it deserves... Have I just been incredibly lucky with mine or is there a reason I'm not aware of for its lack of popularity ?

Imho it would be a serious contender but in all the years I've spent on cigar forums, I've seen it mentioned by only ONE compadre aficionado 😅😅

• Like 2

PL Petit Corona

Bolivar Petit Corona

Diplo no.4

Ramon Allones/Partagas Petit Coronas

• Like 1

CC

Siglo 2 has a higher peak when it's banging.

But PLPC for the consistent performer for a quarter of the price. Ages amazingly too!

NC

Don't want to say because I haven't had one that I truly enjoyed.

• Like 1

I cant really nominate for the NC, as I haven't had nearly enough of that vitola. The padron principe I had a year or so ago was good, but other than that I can't recall smoking any others in that format. 

For CC the headliner would certainly be the sig II for me. The 2021s I have been smoking are an absolute dream, blowing the other PC competition out of the water honestly. After that I would go with the following in order BPC, PLPC and Monte 4. 

• Like 1

• El Presidente changed the title to Olympic Cigar Relay: Petti Corona

If we can firm up the FW Petit Coronas, I might see if Phil can do a sampler. I can do the CC side. Taste off for the last qtr of the year. :thinking:

Doable. 

• Like 4