Cigar smoking in Spain

Hi, all. I'd love some general info on cigar smoking in Spain. My wife and I will be there next week, including Barcelona, Madrid, and San Sebastian. My understanding is that Spain is very cigar friendly in general, but I would appreciate specifics.

Can I smoke out outdoors in the street with a morning cup of coffee? Any particular lounges or shops I should visit in the aforementioned cities? What is pricing like? Should i bring my own Cubans for the most part and only purchase NC? 

Any other tips are greatly appreciated. We are doing an 8 day food tour so there will be lots of large meals, wine, and late nights I imagine. Would be great to get a few sticks in especially after dinner. 

Thanks.

Spain is a civilized country, you’ll see an ashtray on every table outside 🌈 Many hotels have rooftop bars if you want a elevated view with your smoke. Because Spain has a very low tax on tobacco, prices are better than most countries. Bring plenty of cigars, you don’t want to miss a nice breakfast 👻

8EA902E6-2B0A-4CCA-A015-947A5BB7373C.jpeg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

So, how was the trip? My wife and I are planning a similar Barcelona/Madrid/Seville trip in the short-term future. Curious about your experience do’s and don’ts. 

LOML Is a wonderful woman and tolerant but not supportive of my CC hobby. I may steal an hour here or there for a rooftop cigar if she is napping, but otherwise I’ll be looking for singles of RE and LE and perhaps some of the newer releases to try when I get home. 

On 3/12/2024 at 2:50 AM, SokaKiel said:

You’re in for a treat!

As described above, here in Spain you can smoke pretty much anywhere outside. Just don’t sit next to somebody in the middle of a meal and start puffing on a big Monte A😅

I usually smoke outside at cafes and bars and never had any issues.

There are certain places that allow you to smoke (secretly) inside but as tourist you won’t have enough time to get to know the right people for that. Unfortunately I’ll be in Miami/Palm Beach next week, otherwise I would have taken you on a Barcelona underground cigar tour. Hotel El Palace has a basement jazz bar that also offers a smoking room, as far as I know the only official indoor smoking lounge in Barcelona. Personally I enjoy sitting outside way more, either in the streets of Gracia or at one of the beach bars in Barcelonata.

You can buy some regular production like Mag 54, RASS, JL 1 & 2, some Monte and R&J at the usual shops in Barcelona again. But don’t expect huge selections. Try Estanco Catedral across from the Cathedral, Casa Fuster, sometimes Gimeno on the Rambla has decent stuff but I don’t like them very much.

Enjoy your trip!

Leif

I can vouch for estanco catadrel !

I was in Barcelona around this time last year. Smoking outside is no problem.  Bring your own cigars. Little to no selection.