Quai D’Orsay Especial D’Orsay

XXIV Habano Festival: HABANOS, S.A. COMMEMORATES 50 YEARS OF QUAI D’ORSAY WITH A VERY “SPECIAL” LAUNCH AT THE HABANO FESTIVAL

at PR Newswire

image.png

• The new Quai D’Orsay Especial D’Orsay vitola will be marketed worldwide in a special box of 20 Habanos and a gift box of 5 units designed for the occasion
  • Performances by Roberto Fonseca, Yanet Valdés, Annie Batista, Maikel Dinza, Milagros de los Ángeles and, La Máquina Perfecta provided the musical touch to the celebration

HAVANA, Feb. 29, 2024 /PRNewswire/ — On an elegant evening, Habanos, S.A. celebrated the 50th anniversary of Quai D’Orsay, one of the most refined brands with significant international growth in recent years, during the Mid-week Evening of the XXIV Habano Festival. The event took place at the prestigious Salón de Protocolo Cubanacán (Laguito), providing an exclusive setting that united the elegance and cultural richness of the Franco-Cuban alliance and honoured half a century of tradition and excellence in front of more than 500 guests.

HABANOS, S.A. COMMEMORATES 50 YEARS OF QUAI D'ORSAY WITH A VERY "SPECIAL" LAUNCH AT THE HABANO FESTIVAL

This celebration was ideal for launching the Quai D’Orsay Especial D’Orsay vitola (53 x 153 mm length), an exclusive Habano unique in the brand’s portfolio due to its dimensions. Produced in limited quantities, this commemorative ring-marked vitola is presented in a special box of 20 Habanos and a gift box format of 5 units, designed exclusively for this honoring launch.

After an innovative “Light Painting” show, Habanos, S.A.’s vice president of Development Jose Maria Lopez Inchaurbe, highlighted that “With the vitola Especial D’Orsay, we reaffirm our promise to continue offering unique and exceptional experiences with this brand to aficionados around the world”. 

The Mid-week Evening of the XXIV Habano Festival was transformed into a cosmopolitan experience that fused the best of Cuba and France through a dinner specially designed for the occasion with a meticulous selection of Quai D’Orsay brand vitolas paired with wines from the prestigious French winery Domaine Lafage and premium Cuban rums, all accompanied by musical performances by internationally renowned artists such as Yanet Valdés, Annie Batista, Maikel Dinza, Milagros de los Ángeles and, La Máquina Perfecta, among others.

Quai D’Orsay Especial D’Orsay
Market name: Especial D’Orsay.
Factory name: Sobresalientes.
Measures: 53 ring gauge x 153 mm length.

Tasting notes:
Strength: light.
Wrapper: well stretched, oily, very flexible.
Smoking time: around 55 minutes.
Draw: excellent.
Combustion: perfect.
Pairing: Rum Pacto de Navío. Tawny Ports, very aromatic coffees, silky and rounded whiskies, not too sophisticated.

1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It boils my brain that they cannot muster a single flavour descriptor about the cigar blend itself.  But can advise you to pair it with "very aromatic coffee."

I will never understand this about Cuban cigars. The fact they find it impossible to advertise QDO as something as simple as "light creamy woody and citrus notes"

• Haha 1

They have a mental block. I understand the Cuban sides complete inability to detail flavours as they have always struggled. However they have the resources at hand to assist.  Pure incompetence. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, El Presidente said:

They have a mental block. I understand the Cuban sides complete inability to detail flavours as they have always struggled. However they have the resources at hand to assist.  Pure incompetence. 

....and which nong came up with the idea that what the brand really needed now was a 53 Double Robusto :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, 99call said:

It boils my brain that they cannot muster a single flour descriptor about the cigar blend itself.  But can advise you to pair it with "very aromatic coffee"

I will never understand this about Cuban cigars. The fact they find it impossible to advertise QDO as something as simple as "light creamy woody and citrus notes"

Also within tasting notes - 

Draw: excellent.
Combustion: perfect.

I remain unconvinced 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, El Presidente said:

It also plays in their favour I guess. The minute they put a descriptor on something they open themselves up to critique. When it's all smoke and mirrors the community have to make it up for themselves. No skin off their nose. 

13 hours ago, El Presidente said:

....and which nong came up with the idea that what the brand really needed now was a 53 Double Robusto :rolleyes:

Soon we will have 50, 51, 52, 53, 54...

I would suggest waiting until the second or third year of production to see if they stack up. I have Qdo 54 from the first year wow...every year since bland, bland, bland. 

10 hours ago, benfica_77 said:

I would suggest waiting until the second or third year of production to see if they stack up. I have Qdo 54 from the first year wow...every year since bland, bland, bland. 

I had heard that they stopped using their best leaf for the 50s and 54s. It was being retained for higher priced REs, ELs and specialty. No idea if it's true or not. 

• Like 1

Well I can tell you one thing about that, the first 52 released were really bland, I had smoked a handful of them and immediately gave up on them.

But..maybe six months after that I've seen some in my regular shop that were so gorgeous, shiny with colorado maduro wrappers and an amazing smell so I had to give it another go and it was a h*ll of a choice! Incredible cigar when chosen carefully 👍

You probably should run away from that first batch however...