Humidor VS Coolerdor

Sir. smokes alot

Welcome. It’s all going to be user preference. Some people love them some people don’t. I think a lot of it is based off where you’re keeping them as well. If you’re going to have it in the living room your collection will grow so will your storage. So your wife might not like seeing all the coolidors stacking up compared to a large humidor. I have a climate controlled humidor and love it, it’s not where I started but won’t turn back now. 

If you are talking about a wine cooler, I am not your guy. 

If you are talking about coolers like Igloo marine coolers, then I like em. It's kind of chaos, but it's also a really easy and cheap way to store cigars with a nice climate stabilization factor to it if you have the marine ones. Big fan...although one day I hope to have a fancy climate controlled cabinet.

• Like 2

I use 2 marine coolers, 1 for NCs and 1 for CCs. Both are in the basement where nobody sees them. To me it appears to be working well but i have nothing to compare them with so i don't know if a real humidor works a lot better or not and I'm not sure I'm willing to pay the price to find out.

I don't use either one of the options discussed in this thread, although I have thought about a wine refrigerator option just not big enough for me and I don't want to end of with several of them. I would rather invest in another humidor cabinet.  

I have an end table style humidor cabinet. Been using it since 2008 in several different houses and states. Been rock solid for all these years. Will hold 50+ boxes, so it works perfect for my wheel house. When I'm dead the wife can store my ashes in there with my stogies!😁

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Grimlock said:

I use these gasketed 74qt "coolerdor's" with a 65% 320g Boveda. They have no issues holding humidity and can store a couple dozen boxes in each. The 19qt size will hold 3 spanish cedar trays and I keep singles in those at 62% with a 60g Boveda. 

I have an army of these and two massive igloo coolers. Bothe work very well. Bovedas or in my case heartfelt beads along w a Govee to monitor temp and rh periodically are my go to system. 
I use the coolers for boxes and singles tray that I go to frequently. The latch tops are for longer term storage. It’s much easier to flip a coolers top open to grab something and hey- they come with trays. 
regardless if you are planning on a growing collection get something stackable. I would also suggest a spreadsheet which includes a location (storage container number) column. Will safe you time later when you want to find “that box”. 

• Like 3

I started using a Whynter Coolidor about a year ago and have never looked back. I still keep tupperdores for NC. Where I live it’s dry and hot af so keeping them at 65/65 isn’t possible without complete control of the atmosphere. However I do not use the distilled water holder. Instead I used bovedas and don’t have to worry about it drying out or any spill accidents. Plus it looks super rad as well. 

• 2 months later...

I use a Coolerater, and it functions very well. It is a Coleman 150 qt. It has maintained a steady 69 rh, and the temperature hasn't fallen below 65.5 F or above 70F so far. I use 2 Boveda 69% 320 g.packs, and they last a little over 6 months. It keeps 30-40 boxes very well. I also have 2 standard humidors for singles and to move cigars from cooler to being ready for smoking so I don't keep opening the cooler.