One year storage

Hi all,

I might have to leave the country for a 1 year assignement and can't take my cigars with me. Is there a way to store cigars for a year without them needing any interference? Taking them is not an option and an electric solution is not available.

I was thinking about a tuppertore with a large boveda?

Thanks for your help!

If you can store it in a place that’s stable as far as temperature goes, you will be fine with Boveda and an air tight container.
I use a large 80 liter plastic storage container with a sealed lid (the lid has a gasket) for overflow storage. Its in my cellar that keeps between 17 and 19° C year round. I keep around 10 of the 67gram Boveda packs in there and they last me years and years. Keep in mind that the RH will hold a few % points over the level indicated on the Boveda pack in such a sealed environment. 

8 hours ago, ha_banos said:

Yeah, air tight tupperdor/scubador with enough boveda (+1 or 2) in a cool, dark place should be fine. Assuming the sticks and boxes are already up to humidity. I'd go no more than 65% packs.

The smell will be divine after a year!

Thanks so much! I will miss them! :-(((

8 hours ago, Tdm_86 said:

If you can store it in a place that’s stable as far as temperature goes, you will be fine with Boveda and an air tight container.
I use a large 80 liter plastic storage container with a sealed lid (the lid has a gasket) for overflow storage. Its in my cellar that keeps between 17 and 19° C year round. I keep around 10 of the 67gram Boveda packs in there and they last me years and years. Keep in mind that the RH will hold a few % points over the level indicated on the Boveda pack in such a sealed environment. 

Thanks very much for your reply!

If they have to go into storage and the tupperdore might be handled by others, I assume it's ok to just fill the empty space inside with bubble wrap to keep the cigars from rolling around?

30 minutes ago, eggtimer said:

If they have to go into storage and the tupperdore might be handled by others, I assume it's ok to just fill the empty space inside with bubble wrap to keep the cigars from rolling around?

I think that would be fine, just leave a little air space I guess. 

• Like 1

Vacuum seal the boxes.  Multiple boxes can be sealed at a time.  Make sure not to compress the boxes.  Does not need to totally hug each box.  A little wiggle room is fine.  Store in a place that does not have excessive temperatures and you'll be fine.

• Like 1

If you airtight seal any box of cigars you need to avoid rapid temperature swings. This is due to the nature of hygroscopic material and the difference between adsorption and absorption.

Desorption, or the removal of gaseous water from cigars due to a rise in temperature is a normal process in equilibrium. However a sudden cooling can have the saturated vapor precipitate onto the contents once rapidly cooled. This why dehydration during cooling can be a benefit. Since your microclimate is sealed the wrapper of the cigars can take up this water and obtain capillary water for mold growth.

Water migration is a real issue during transportation and other events. Once liquid water touches the wrapper leaf, absorption occurs and troubles can quickly start. Absorption and adsorption are different processes that carry different results.

Best of luck on your storage.

• Like 1

Weathertight container in a cool dark spot with some boveda is fine. Frankly if the sticks are acclimated and the location is cool and temp doesn’t fluctuate you may not need a boveda. I have quite a few 40ish quart weathertight containers w equalized sticks in deep storage. All have rh gauges. All but one had bovedas until recently. No movement on any of the gauges and the bovedas have not gone dry. 
if the cigars are equalized and the seal is good and the conditions are stable you are good. 
My storage is in a basement against an outside wall that is at least 8 feet deep.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Vacuum seal the boxes.  Multiple boxes can be sealed at a time.  Make sure not to compress the boxes.  Does not need to totally hug each box.  A little wiggle room is fine.  Store in a place that does not have excessive temperatures and you'll be fine.

Thanks for that - appreciate it!

9 hours ago, djrey said:

My cooler has been rock steady 63-65% for about 10 years using Bovedas. My 62% are half dry and my 65% are fully hydrated. Have yet to have to replace one. It's really incredible how well they work. 

Say whaaaaat? You have not replaced your boveda in 10 years? You mean you have recharded it but not bought a new one or simply never changed or recharged it????

14 hours ago, Rhinoww said:

Weathertight container in a cool dark spot with some boveda is fine. Frankly if the sticks are acclimated and the location is cool and temp doesn’t fluctuate you may not need a boveda. I have quite a few 40ish quart weathertight containers w equalized sticks in deep storage. All have rh gauges. All but one had bovedas until recently. No movement on any of the gauges and the bovedas have not gone dry. 
if the cigars are equalized and the seal is good and the conditions are stable you are good. 
My storage is in a basement against an outside wall that is at least 8 feet deep.  

Great - that will work for me!

5 minutes ago, eggtimer said:

Say whaaaaat? You have not replaced your boveda in 10 years? You mean you have recharded it but not bought a new one or simply never changed or recharged it????

I've had the same experience as @djrey. If your storage area has a relatively stable temperature, the containers are well-sealed, and you're not opening the containers frequently... Boveda packs last for a long time without rehydration. I find it if i throw a few extra Boveda in (Boveda recommend 1 60g pack for every 25 cigars of storage space), my packs in long-term storage stay well hydrated. My experience, most of my Boveda are 5+ years old and have never been rehydrated. I store at 18C and use 65% Boveda 60g packs. Rock solid Rh on my gauges, and cigars that are right in my wheelhouse for flavour and burn without dry-boxing.

Again, if you're storage temp is fluctuating a lot and/or the container isn't well-sealed (or you're opening the container frequently to look at the cigars, etc.), the Boveda won't last as long without recharging or replacing.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, GaryK 54 said:

I've had the same experience as @djrey. If your storage area has a relatively stable temperature, the containers are well-sealed, and you're not opening the containers frequently... Boveda packs last for a long time without rehydration. I find it if i throw a few extra Boveda in (Boveda recommend 1 60g pack for every 25 cigars of storage space), my packs in long-term storage stay well hydrated. My experience, most of my Boveda are 5+ years old and have never been rehydrated. I store at 18C and use 65% Boveda 60g packs. Rock solid Rh on my gauges, and cigars that are right in my wheelhouse for flavour and burn without dry-boxing.

Again, if you're storage temp is fluctuating a lot and/or the container isn't well-sealed (or you're opening the container frequently to look at the cigars, etc.), the Boveda won't last as long without recharging or replacing.

That is fantastic - some of my sadness about having to leave my cigars has dissipated! Thank you!

The most storage success I have had is using 54qt tupperdors. Each has two 65 per. 320g Bovedas. Each has a little extra room and I have had the same Bovedas for 2 1/2 years. They reside in a climate controlled room and I would not hesitate to leave them for a year if needed. Good luck and safe travels.  

• Like 1