Best Bang For Your Buck

cjmaas

…or euro, pound, whatever. 

Not a lot of truly cheap options in these trying times, but I know there are fine smokes to be had at a reasonable price yet. So what’s your sweet spot? Which cigar brings you the most enjoyment for the price? Note: I don’t mean most grams of tobacco per dollar. Honestly, the little guys are often the best fit for my schedule anyway. Looking forward to this group’s feedback!

The H. Upmann Majestic is one I think is really great value. A corona that is true to it’s marca. Not majorly complex, but definitely enjoyable. 
Also Partagas Mille Fleurs, same as above and bonus points because they also come in 10ct boxes. 

• Like 1

Big fan of the Partagas Aristocrats and Habaneros. Had some outstanding boxes in the last 5 years. 

For cheaper smokes I'm looking to explore the short fill offerings that I don't have that much experience with.. such as, Quintero, JLP, Flor De Cano, Fonseca.. etc.

5 hours ago, Blakes said:

For cheaper smokes I'm looking to explore the short fill offerings that I don't have that much experience with.. such as, Quintero, JLP, Flor De Cano, Fonseca.. etc.

I have to say I’ve been really pleasantly surprised with the JLP Brevas. Never mind blowing, but I find myself reaching past a bunch of higher prices NCs to grab one again and again. I’d like to try some of the others as well. Thanks for your other recommendations also. How do these cheaper Partagas compare to the shorts? Only party I’ve had and really enjoy. 

On 10/9/2022 at 5:40 PM, Tdm_86 said:

The H. Upmann Majestic is one I think is really great value. A corona that is true to it’s marca. Not majorly complex, but definitely enjoyable. 
Also Partagas Mille Fleurs, same as above and bonus points because they also come in 10ct boxes. 

Do the Magestics taste similar to the half coronas at all? I feel like those punch way above weight class sometimes. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, cjmaas said:

Do the Magestics taste similar to the half coronas at all? I feel like those punch way above weight class sometimes. 

There are similarities. The Majestics are not as bold as the HUHC though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cjmaas said:

I have to say I’ve been really pleasantly surprised with the JLP Brevas. Never mind blowing, but I find myself reaching past a bunch of higher prices NCs to grab one again and again. I’d like to try some of the others as well. Thanks for your other recommendations also. How do these cheaper Partagas compare to the shorts? Only party I’ve had and really enjoy. 

I find them more of an old school Partagas flavour, lots of Leather and a touch of that spiced soured cream. Maybe not as complex as the shorts can be but I don't find the quality of the tobacco any different, just a different profile. I find they age well too. I don't rate the Mille Fleurs or PCE as much as the Aristocrats and Habaneros, the boxes I've had of the former have been hit and miss, whereas the latter much more depth of flavour and intensity. 

• Like 2

On 10/15/2022 at 1:48 PM, Ford2112 said:

Rafael Gonzalez Perlas

This is one I’m especially interested in trying. It seems to have a very enthusiastic following. What makes it great? Also, and this goes for any of the suggestions, at what price per cigar is this your top pick? I can’t find these for less than $6/ and I can get a monte 5 for the same. Is the RGP>mont5? 

19 hours ago, cjmaas said:

? I can’t find these for less than $6/ and I can get a monte 5 for the same. Is the RGP>mont5? 

I think so, as I find the Perlas to be a bit more interesting to me. They need age though. 6 bucks a cigar these days is likely as good as it will get.

20 hours ago, Ford2112 said:

I think so, as I find the Perlas to be a bit more interesting to me. They need age though. 6 bucks a cigar these days is likely as good as it will get.

Great info. Anybody have experience with any of the other RG vitolas? Missed some cheap panetelas extra the other day but not sure how the short filler stacks up. 

Rafael Gonzales panatelas extra.  Such a good smoke, I have 2 boxes from 2019 that have been stellar and I picked up 4 more boxes recently that I havent tried yet.  If these new ones are as good as the 2019s i'll be very happy.

• Like 3

On 10/19/2022 at 3:28 PM, alex1126 said:

Rafael Gonzales panatelas extra.  Such a good smoke, I have 2 boxes from 2019 that have been stellar and I picked up 4 more boxes recently that I havent tried yet.  If these new ones are as good as the 2019s i'll be very happy.

I really enjoyed a box or two of these (can’t remember how many, it has been several years). I really dug the cocoa powder notes you could sometimes get. Tight draw was a not infrequent problem, though.

for the HU Majestic fans, when I have seen those lately the price has been shockingly high. Almost not in C&C world anymore!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2022 at 3:42 PM, cjmaas said:

Great info. Anybody have experience with any of the other RG vitolas? Missed some cheap panetelas extra the other day but not sure how the short filler stacks up. 

Perlas are excellent. A serious cigar and I believe the best RG. Richer than the PC although with some age the PC can be quite nice but mellow. The PE, I'm not a fan. Short filler and just not using the best leaf IMO. The PL Panetelas were much better however. 

On 10/17/2022 at 6:59 PM, Ford2112 said:

6 bucks a cigar these days is likely as good as it will get.

Party Shorts are usually the same price as the RGP and it's a Minutos. I would say pound for pound the Shorts is probably the best value CC. When the PL Panetelas were still around I would say those were the best value CC. 

I also think the Quintero Tubulares is pretty good if you don't mind a drop in quality. Usually around $3 and decent size. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Richer than the PC although with some age the PC can be quite nice but mellow.

Just ordered all three of the RGs. If I’d read this first I might have skipped the PC in favor of something else. Still excited to try all 3. 

16 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I also think the Quintero Tubulares is pretty good if you don't mind a drop in quality. Usually around $3 and decent size. 

Don’t mind a bit. I’d love to try but these have been scarce and priced pretty stupid when I’ve seen them at all. Next time I see a decent price I’ll pounce. Is there another vitola with same or similar profile?

1 hour ago, cjmaas said:

Is there another vitola with same or similar profile?

The Tubulares is the only Quintero I've found to be any good although the Favoritos is quite popular here and worth trying. I find them to be a little too rustic. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have nothing new to add on the cc front in this respect. I recently tried my first vagueros which I wasn't super impressed with but would smoke before most nc sub $8 sticks. If you're open to sub $10 nc smokes I'll offer the following: 1) aladino, 2) aladino Cameroon, 3) charter oak. As good as NCs? Meh prob not. But the aladino is 100% cuban seed corojo that comes in a lot of great smaller sizes and the aladino Cameroon is cheap and interesting. Charter oak would fool a lot of people that didn't know it was affordable imo. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am smoking through a box of 2021 Party Shorts. I regret not buying these a few years ago when they were dirt cheap! Great little smokes!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 10/19/2022 at 1:28 PM, alex1126 said:

Just to chime in on this, I have also found the RGPE to be very good with just a bit of age on them. Quite rustic still, but not quite so pronounced as when they are first rolled.

• 1 month later...

Quick update: smoked a few of the RG panetelas and one of the PCs. Both more than hold their own at the price. If you can find them at a reasonable price ($4ish and $7ish respectively) I recommend pulling the trigger. 

• Like 1