The largest body hire company in the world.

The government makes a fortune out of selling labour. 

Cuba to send hundreds of doctors to Italy's Calabria region

HAVANA, Aug 19 (Reuters) - Cuba will send nearly 500 doctors to the Calabria region of southern Italy, Cuban state media reported this week, part of a broader program that sends surplus medics from the communist-run island to countries in need.

State-run media outlet Cubadebate said Calabria had been suffering a shortage of doctors since 2010, part of a countrywide healthcare crisis, and had been unable to fill the need any other way.

https://www.reuters.com/world/cuba-send-hundreds-doctors-italys-calabria-region-2022-08-19/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Italy is not a high paying job market.  I wonder what their bill rate is?

For the Doctors, it's completely inconsequential. Even if Italy was paying a million a year, per doctor, the doctors wont see that. 

They get roughly their standard pay (around $500 a YEAR) When they get home, not until then. 

1 hour ago, Corylax18 said:

For the Doctors, it's completely inconsequential. Even if Italy was paying a million a year, per doctor, the doctors wont see that. 

They get roughly their standard pay (around $500 a YEAR) When they get home, not until then. 

I didn't question how much the doctors were getting, but only their bill rate.

I was paying graduate degree engineers 12an hour in Italy.  The hospitals cannot be paying that much more for those doctors.

11 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

Do you think they get that full amount? Even when they return? I say no way. 

14 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Italy is not a high paying job market.  I wonder what their bill rate is?

From salaryexplorer.com:

A person working in Doctor / Physician in Italy typically earns around 8,580 EUR per month.

So let's say Italy's paying half that. 4000 EUR to the Cuban state per doctor. 500 doctors. 2 million EUR a month to Cuba. Pretty good take. 

Not that I'm in favor of the embargo but I don't think Italy should be participating in such abuse. I hope they're doing so with the expectation they'll claim asylum. 

• Like 1

Italy has a huge advantage in getting Cuban doctors to Calabria, they're not doing it to get cheap labor.

They get highly qualified doctors, that speak a language close to Italian which means the language barrier can be overcome more easily than let's say Eastern European doctors or English speaking (which have not worked out well). Many local Italian doctors would never work nor live in the South.

The southern Italian region is as mentioned in the article -underserved and there's a huge shortage of doctors. Clinics and hospitals in the region are in a terrible state and conditions and it could be one of the worst healthcare systems in Europe, with corruption, limited facilities and services available.

The local population has been suffering for a long time and any outside help is necessary or they will face severe issues in years to come.

The Cuban doctors will do lots of good and I hope they will get paid for their help after the local "government" and Cuban state take their cuts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Edicion said:

Italy has a huge advantage in getting Cuban doctors to Calabria, they're not doing it to get cheap labor.

They get highly qualified doctors, that speak a language close to Italian which means the language barrier can be overcome more easily than let's say Eastern European doctors or English speaking (which have not worked out well). Many local Italian doctors would never work nor live in the South.

The southern Italian region is as mentioned in the article -underserved and there's a huge shortage of doctors. Clinics and hospitals in the region are in a terrible state and conditions and it could be one of the worst healthcare systems in Europe, with corruption, limited facilities and services available.

The local population has been suffering for a long time and any outside help is necessary or they will face severe issues in years to come.

The Cuban doctors will do lots of good and I hope they will get paid for their help after the local "government" and Cuban state take their cuts.

They will do lots of good perhaps, but turning a blind eye and being naive about the fact that many will receive almost zero payment is a problem. They are doing good for others, but everyone is doing wrong by them. 

• Confused 1