Why does Cuba continually change cigar tobacco strains?

Longing for old time Criollo, I had a question from a member  overnight asking why the original wasn't reintroduced at least in part. 

I will see if I can track down an interesting article on Cuban tobacco strains and post it up later this morning. However the answer to the above question is as follows: ;)

"An epidemic of blue mold of tobacco unexpectedly attacked crops in the United States and Canada in 1979, causing an estimated loss of almost a quarter billion dollars. The disease, caused by a fungus, apparently started in Cuba where half the crop was destroyed in 1979 and 90 percent in 1980. Control of blue mold is difficult and expensive. Resistant cultivars become susceptible within a few years. A therapeutic fungicide, metalaxyl, gives efficient control, but resistant strains of the fungus may soon appear. Blue mold is an international problem that will require the collaboration of scientists, governments, and Industries for an adequate solution."

Peronospora hyoscyami f.sp. tabacina - Wikipedia

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, ATGroom said:

but also broomrape

I never miss the chance to point out that nothing called Broomrape can be good. :no:

I also believe Corojo and Criollo are still being used in a very limited capacity. I know there are at least 6 strains being used at any given time and probably far more. All of the strains TRI developed have some application.

5 hours ago, Lamboinee said:

Very curious how much the flavor differs from cigars with the vintage strains. 

Tabacuba of course claims there is no difference. All I'll say is that the period of the most significant flavor change was the period of the greatest strain experimentation (1997-2002). :idea:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Tabacuba of course claims there is no difference. All I'll say is that the period of the most significant flavor change was the period of the greatest strain experimentation (1997-2002). :idea:

15 hours ago, ATGroom said:

Also, each evolution of the strain has bigger and more leaves.

I would say that "increased yield" is probably the single KPI of the Tobacco Research Institute. "Improved flavour" I'm sure is on the list of priorities somewhere but much lower down.

There has to be a difference.  Very analogous to the Phylloxera issue in French wine.

Very curious about each evolution producing larger and more leaves. Surely there is a point of diminishing marginal returns. At some point I would imagine that the burn or taste characteristics are impacted simply be the inability of the plant to transport nutrients to the furthest ends of a large leave.

Have there been any large scale hydroponic or indoor growing experiments?  Tobacco seems uniquely suited for such an experiment. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lamboinee said:

Have there been any large scale hydroponic or indoor growing experiments? 

I can't imagine it's ever economical to grow tobacco like that, or even feasible for Cuba given their energy woes. Growing at home is different entirely, and indeed many of us probably live in climates where it's obligatory if you want to grow your own with any quality.

I believe tobacco for NC is grown hydroponically (if not indoors) until it's a seedling ready for planting. One of our resident Cuba experts can weigh in on whether that's the MO in Cuba as well. 

As for whether Criollo could be reintroduced, the issue I suspect is the risk of crop-failure. It couldn't be used in current blends since it would likely change them, so an LE would appear to be the only feasible vehicle. And given the ridiculous premium they're already able to charge for them, why bother with the expense?

On 8/10/2022 at 2:49 PM, MrBirdman said:

As for whether Criollo could be reintroduced, the issue I suspect is the risk of crop-failure. It couldn't be used in current blends since it would likely change them, so an LE would appear to be the only feasible vehicle. And given the ridiculous premium they're already able to charge for them, why bother with the expense?

I have read about the past crops failures due to the vulnerabilities of criollo. Yet, many other new world manufacturers claim to use "genuine" criollo or corojo tobacco.  For example, JRE tobacco claims to use genuine cuban seed corojo tobacco in their cigars.  Are they using the same tobacco that is so vulnerable to disease/pests?  Or, are they using the names "criollo" or "corojo" incorrectly/differently?  I think the bottom line is that I feel there needs to be more standardization in the industry.  I think it would be good for the consumer and less-so for marketers.

4 hours ago, Lamboinee said:

I have read about the past crops failures due to the vulnerabilities of criollo. Yet, many other new world manufacturers claim to use "genuine" criollo or corojo tobacco.  For example, JRE tobacco claims to use genuine cuban seed corojo tobacco in their cigars.  Are they using the same tobacco that is so vulnerable to disease/pests?  Or, are they using the names "criollo" or "corojo" incorrectly/differently?  I think the bottom line is that I feel there needs to be more standardization in the industry.  I think it would be good for the consumer and less-so for marketers.

Criollo and Corojo are in use in many areas. It's not hard to find. In different areas with different climates and use of pesticides there aren't the issues there are in Cuba. 

But strains don't make the tobacco--the growing area does. Use of Corojo and Criollo for NCs is more of a marketing gimmick. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Lamboinee said:

As Alex suggested above, the use of newer strains is no doubt as much about yields as it is pests/molds. Also newer strains may be hardier - i.e. able to thrive in a wider range of weather conditions, something that's becoming more and more important in an era of climate change.

7 hours ago, MrBirdman said:

As Alex suggested above, the use of newer strains is no doubt as much about yields as it is pests/molds. Also newer strains may be hardier - i.e. able to thrive in a wider range of weather conditions, something that's becoming more and more important in an era of climate change.

Yes, totally agree. They are all parts of the same problem.

Bigger leaves = bigger yield.

More leaves = bigger yield.

Better resistance to pests = bigger yield.

Easier to grow in worse soil = bigger yield.

Better resistance to erratic climate = bigger yield.  

Less delicate and likely to be damaged during curing = bigger yield.

Better tasting = well, arguably that means increased sales, although it would probably be over a decade plus timeline for that to really factor into things and they can't meet demand as it is. I've read that the prospective strains are rolled and smoked as part of their evaluation process, but I'd say the main thing they're testing is that it basically tastes like tobacco and isn't completely fireproof. If they had two strains and one tasted better but yielded less, they'd go for the yield.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 8/10/2022 at 8:41 AM, Lamboinee said:

There has to be a difference. 

I don't know that there has to be a difference that would be perceptible in flavor but there probably is, and in the case of Cuban cigar tobacco from 1992-present I would say that it's almost certainly the case. 

I would point out that at least half a dozen strains are being grown at any given time and we have no idea what's in what and blends have been remarkably consistent for nearly a decade. 

• Like 1