New Partagas Shop, Sneak Peak

18 hours ago, madandana said:

Can’t wait to visit. Where is it from the old location Cory?

Close. Right across the park area from Floridita at the Corner of O'Reilly and Bernaza. Just on the other side of El Capitolio. They are in a MUCH higher traffic area now than they where. 

The dot in the google maps link is where the photos where taken from. 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/522+Obispo,+La+Habana+10100,+Cuba/@23.1379113,-82.3574814,94m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x88cd79b00bfecf7d:0xf90c334072245011!8m2!3d23.1378477!4d-82.3570771

15 hours ago, LLC said:

Loved visiting the old shop and can’t wait to visit the new one. 

Me too!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, porkchop said:

Do regular Cuban citizens smoke the same cigars we do? Do these shops simply cater to tourists? 

A single BHK, even at Cuban prices, costs about 3 months worth of a regular Cuban's Salary. So, no, they don't smoke the Habanos that you and I do. If a Cuban smokes, they are almost certainly smoking "peso" cigars. Some may have a friend at a factory. But even if they're getting them for a dollar a stick, a single bundle is your entire months earnings out the window, more for a lot of Cuban's. 

Yes, these shops are almost entirely for tourists. I liked that the shop used to be hidden behind the capitol building, you had to go look for it, few people would stumble on it. The new location may be one of the busiest tourist intersections in the whole country. O Reilly is tip to tail tourist shops and very close to the cruise terminal, they're across the street from the Kempinksi and Floridita, so there will be a lot more tourist traffic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

A single BHK, even at Cuban prices, costs about 3 months worth of a regular Cuban's Salary. So, no, they don't smoke the Habanos that you and I do. If a Cuban smokes, they are almost certainly smoking "peso" cigars. Some may have a friend at a factory. But even if they're getting them for a dollar a stick, a single bundle is your entire months earnings out the window, more for a lot of Cuban's. 

Yes, these shops are almost entirely for tourists. I liked that the shop used to be hidden behind the capitol building, you had to go look for it, few people would stumble on it. The new location may be one of the busiest tourist intersections in the whole country. O Reilly is tip to tail tourist shops and very close to the cruise terminal, they're across the street from the Kempinksi and Floridita, so there will be a lot more tourist traffic.

I mean BHK? Was thinking more the lower end (Partagas) offerings. Did not know if there was a government price control or allotment for citizens. 

1 hour ago, porkchop said:

I mean BHK? Was thinking more the lower end (Partagas) offerings. Did not know if there was a government price control or allotment for citizens. 

I was using that as an extreme example, but even a bundle of Vegueros or JLP is well out of most Cubans price range.

They are entitled to some cigarettes as part of the ration books, but I dont believe that counts for peso cigars. The cigarettes down there are STRONG and often unfiltered, I've tried a puff or two of the Unfiltered Upmanns and Cohiba's, they both nearly made me sick. 

• Like 1

It looks like they brought the same chairs from the old VIP lounge! 😀