Currency in Varadero Casa del Habnos?

I am pretty sure to buy cigar boxes I will need to use a credit card but there are times when I visit the store and have a rum and coffee and a fine cigar upstairs and watch the world go buy.

Is this Credit card only or foreign currency or the CUPs 

I don't know if any CUP-denominated merchants can process bank cards but if they do, beware that they will convert at the official rate of 24:1 despite the de facto rate being ~100:1. You'll be paying $20 for that rum & coffee. Bring some EUR and try to convert CUP through someone at your hotel/casa.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, TiminBC said:

I am pretty sure to buy cigar boxes I will need to use a credit card but there are times when I visit the store and have a rum and coffee and a fine cigar upstairs and watch the world go buy.

Is this Credit card only or foreign currency or the CUPs 

My experience is no cash, only credit cards for any stick purchase there. I've seen them decline cash before. Not sure about the bar for the rum and coffee.

When will you be there?

Cheers

I think there might be some confusion here. 

Cigars can be bought with foreign bank cards or MLC cards only. No cash. 

Things that are priced in CUP like food, rum and coffee are probably not able to be purchased with bank cards. If it is able to be purchased by bank card you will pay 24:1 instead of the de facto rate of 100:1. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, riderpride said:

My experience is no cash, only credit cards for any stick purchase there. I've seen them decline cash before. Not sure about the bar for the rum and coffee.

When will you be there?

Cheers

March 22nd for 2 weeks

I just got back from Varadero. There were no drinks/coffee to be had and no one rolling cigars at the two LCDHs I went to. Having a smoke was not an option. They only let one person in at a time to buy cigars and leave. Selection is limited. All cigars are priced in US dollars and no cash is accepted. Credit card receipts are in US funds. That was my experience anyway.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Sorry to here that but I am staying across the street so I will have to make do with free run and coffee. I went with a group before and we always met for a 09:30 cigar on the second floor

• 4 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Troels said:

Was in two cigar shops on varadero. Was cheated ti pay way too much in the first one and they tried to overcharge me - cant blame them I guess - but it annoys me. So you might want to Watch out

Was that the Calle 63 store? They are well known to over charge even before the pandemic. 

• 4 weeks later...

well back from Varadero. The selection was somewhat limited but found something interesting. They wanted to accept cash but I insisted on credit card. The coffee shop up stair was open. No shortage at my hotel but the bars next door had days with no beer. Even my door man would give me 60-1 on exchange.

• Like 1