The Negroni. How do you build yours?

Habana Mike

My classic is a London Dry Gin, say Boodles. Dolin Sweet Vermouth, Campari. Have moved to Aperol for the base lately though as it is not quite so intense or taking over the tobacco notes.

However I like to step out with different gins, vermouths and a few other Italian bitter apertifs time to time.

After many iterations and experimentation over time I've arrived at a near perfect version for me.

image.png.ccbc6f26a3aa99da65e588774d31e68b.png

Monkey 47 Gin, Carpano Antica and Apertivo Cappelletti. Of course the orange essence.

Give this one a try @mandana

• Like 2

Well worth the try John. Delightful!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Monkey 47 makes a stellar Negroni. I have countless combinations but probably my favourite is Monkey 47, Campari and a 50:50 mix of Antica Formula and Punt e Mes. I usually do a 1:1:1 ratio but with this combination, and usually the stronger gins, I like 1.5 : 1 : 1.

These are both interesting bitters to try, the select was the original 'Spritz' back in the day and has a much more bitter medicinal flavour than aperol. The Gran Classico is interesting to me because the original Campari took its base recipe inspiration from Gran Classico.

8040d1621781f52a12b798cea13892b4.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Basic ATM - Four Pillars, Antica formula vermouth, Campari. And a dash of orange bitters and a piece of orange peel singed and twisted. Sometimes I add a touch of espresso which is probably my fav. Only have one all purpose gin ATM. Will have to give Monkey 47 a try. cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up some if the Four Pillars negroni Gin and tried this recipe tonight, equal parts.
Vermouth part was 50/50 punt e mes and Martini Rubino.
Loved it, the spicy gin really brings out the bitterness of campari and botanicals in the vermouth.

bb833fd3fd6cffdc4209bb79dd66783d.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

I chased down several variations before ending at what I had at the Russian Hotel in Rome, and I haven't ventured beyond since.  It sounds crazy but 1:1:1 Carpano Antica, Campari, and your good ol' Bombay Sapphire -- try it.  

On 10/30/2021 at 7:03 AM, potpest said:

Picked up some if the Four Pillars negroni Gin and tried this recipe tonight, equal parts.
Vermouth part was 50/50 punt e mes and Martini Rubino.
Loved it, the spicy gin really brings out the bitterness of campari and botanicals in the vermouth.

just had a package of three different four pillar gins arrive.

definitely a gin week! yesterday, four different hendricks. and the day before, a new one from the barossa.

woohoo! 

• Like 1

Ran out of Vermouth so made one with Amaro Braulio Alpino, Campari and a touch of orange bitters plus mandarin segment. Interesting. I liked it but prefer the traditional way. If I get some Amaro Montenegro, I might give that a try too.

IMG_8308.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
definitely a gin week! yesterday, four different hendricks. and the day before, a new one from the barossa.
woohoo! 
Must have missed this post. Which four pillars were they? Have you tried the olive leaf release, seems like it could be interesting for a negroni?

50 minutes ago, potpest said:
On 3/10/2022 at 12:59 PM, Ken Gargett said:
woohoo! 

Must have missed this post. Which four pillars were they? Have you tried the olive leaf release, seems like it could be interesting for a negroni?

olive leaf was one. more for a martini for me. barrel aged (chardonnay) another. the third was either the Rare or the Christmas (and whichever it wasn't, i got that separately). 

olive leaf was one. more for a martini for me. barrel aged (chardonnay) another. the third was either the Rare or the Christmas (and whichever it wasn't, i got that separately). 
Martini would be good also. Barrel aged chardonnay sounds very interesting. Will have to go and look for these.

The negronino play off the Negroni is one of my favorites!

Replace campari with an amaro (amaro nonino is my favorite).

equal parts gin, vermouth (carpano antica, and amaro. 

you can balance what will be a very smooth cocktail by adding some Campari back in. I’d keep it from 25-75% of the other three depending on your preference!

• Like 1