Anyone bring cigars back to the US recently?

jerrybrowne

Just spoke to some friends who live in Havana and it seems the cigar shops are converting prices from CUC to USD. 

What's really crazy is that they don't accept cash any longer. Only credit card. Not sure how Americans are supposed to buy boxes.  Hope this all gets sorted out soon.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, jerrybrowne said:

Just spoke to some friends who live in Havana and it seems the cigar shops are converting prices from CUC to USD. 

What's really crazy is that they don't accept cash any longer. Only credit card. Not sure how Americans are supposed to buy boxes.  Hope this all gets sorted out soon.

You hand over your credit card, they come back in about an hour, and you get your box. Then hope you have a good mobile connection to cancel all those "extra" charges or receive calls from your CC provider. :lol3:

• Haha 2

You hand over your credit card, they come back in about an hour, and you get your box. Then hope you have a good mobile connection to cancel all those "extra" charges or receive calls from your CC provider. :lol3:

But US credit cards don’t work in Cuba. I think this even includes the one from the Florida bank that used to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 5 months later...

I was in Cuba January 2020. The Hotel Nacional LCDH store was stocked full! I was restricted by my wife (and cash on hand) to $450 worth of product. But they had huge piles of every brand. It was crazy seeing that, I was paralyzed by the selection. Made out with a good selection of 3-packs. At that time, the tourist level was low as the US govt had ended cruise ships docking in Havana, so they hadn't swarmed the cigar shops. Kinda sad. But we had a great guided tour of western Cuba. I will go back. US Customs never asked about my cigars. I could have brought back way more, nobody looked!

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2021 at 6:12 AM, garagedragon said:

I am heading to Cuba next month, and am wondering if anyone has brought back any cigars and or rum? Just trying to see if US Customs is enforcing that new law.

I’m sure many people are curious. The more challenging part may just be that the lcdhs supposedly only take credit cards now for payment. 

• 3 weeks later...

You have to buy a MLC card (5 Euros) and load it with Euros/ Canadian etc. They are sold at the airport. They will convert it to their currency, which will be the prices posted in the stores. No cash transactions. US credit cards only work for the PCR test upon exit. Some stores like 5ta y 16 charge in Euros and the Duty Free shops once you get past X-rays. John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JohnnyO said:

You have to buy a MLC card (5 Euros) and load it with Euros/ Canadian etc. They are sold at the airport. They will convert it to their currency, which will be the prices posted in the stores. No cash transactions. US credit cards only work for the PCR test upon exit. John

Thanks, your knowledge is always very much appreciated! Doesn’t sound like there’s a way to take advantage of unofficial exchange rates then for purchasing at the lcdhs. Too bad.

2 minutes ago, JohnnyO said:

Cuban pesos go a long way in Paladares and stores not owned by the government (Particular). John

Are there any reputable non-state owned cigar stores? Are Reynaldo’s and Alex’s shops state-owned?

• 2 months later...

Any updates from any Americans that have been to Havana recently. Im getting the itch. I saw that prices out of Miami are reasonable once again. 
Curious about two specific items:

1. Will Reynaldo and Alex take USD?

2. What has been the TSA/Customs temperament been on the size of hauls coming back? 

10 minutes ago, BMahan480 said:

Any updates from any American's that have been to Havana recently. Im getting the itch. I saw that prices out of Miami are reasonable once again. 

2. What has been the TSA/Customs temperament been on the size of hauls coming back? 

1. Both Reynaldo and Alex have left the country. Alex lives in CA now, Reynaldo just announced that he moved to Cancun. But, you should be able to pay for customs with Cash of some sort. I used USD earlier this month to buy some customs, but all singles/boxes are purchased with MLC now, so bring Euros to load that up with. 

2. No more declarations forms (at least in Fort Lauderdale) so you go right to the waiting line as soon as your bag lands. There where two english speakers on my 60% full flight, so the agents where asking everybody all their questions in Spanish. I'm not fluent, so I just answered no to everything the guy asked me. 😉 Do the same and you should be fine.

I really enjoyed my trip a few weeks ago and I'm already planning two more trips for later this year. But dont expect things to be the same as they where before the pandemic. The people are still amazing, but be prepared for some psychological discomfort. The country is in a bad way right now. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Any updates from any American's that have been to Havana recently. Im getting the itch. I saw that prices out of Miami are reasonable once again. 

Both Alex and Reynaldo have moved away from Cuba. Alex to the U.S., Reynaldo to Mexico.
I came back from Cancun in December, customs didn’t even ask about cigars. Not a single question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...
On 3/26/2022 at 7:41 PM, bpegler11 said:

Both Alex and Reynaldo have moved away from Cuba. Alex to the U.S., Reynaldo to Mexico.
I came back from Cancun in December, customs didn’t even ask about cigars. Not a single question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coming back from Cancun you’re probably not gonna get sweated. Coming from Cuba very likely. Especially flying into Miami

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...