Quotes and the like.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Loved this one. Came across it in "Tribe of Mentors"    “The fundamental cause of the trouble in the modern world today is that  the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of dou

“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.” — Sigmund Freud”

Was at a party at a friend's house years ago and while stuffing a pizza down his throat, a chap I didn’t really know paused and quietly said, “whoever said hunger is the best sauce - had never smoked weed!”

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, El Presidente said:

"religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich?"

Napoleon Bonaparte  March 4 1806

You've got to love Napoleon quotes. He is possibly one of the most revered and at the same time reviled personalities of history. What is undeniable is that he has left a marked impact in the history of both Europe and France. In my travels in Europe this Northern Hemisphere Summer, travel guides consistently mentioned him.

Emmanuel Macron, France's current president, acknowledged the 200th anniversary of his death in 2021. He did not do the same for the 150th anniversary of the famous 1871 Paris Commune. There are reforms and systems that Napoleon initiated in French society that are still in place today.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnS said:

You've got to love Napoleon quotes. He is possibly one of the most revered and at the same time reviled personalities of history. What is undeniable is that he has left a marked impact in the history of both Europe and France. In my travels in Europe this Northern Hemisphere, travel guides consistently mentioned him.

There is a Southern Hemisphere Europe? :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Governments where I am are looking for new ways to tax us “to make things better”…

“I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.”  -  Sir Winston

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, El Presidente said:

"In victory, you deserve champagne. In defeat, you need it." - Napoleon Bonaparte

7 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!”
– Winston Churchill

These last two quotes certainly make me feel like popping a champagne bottle this weekend, that's for sure!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bijan said:

I did not read Jung and Lacan enough growing up.

I only really read Freud.

Thanks for the quote.

Unfortunately, Lacan himself regretted in his last days having been incomprehensible. So, in a way, you were right not to bother 😂

Yet, the man was fascinating and it seems to me that you can have a glimpse at his genius through some quotes.

Here, maybe my favourite:

"If you understood then you are probably mistaken."

• Like 1

"You have power over your mind, not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength."

-Marcus Aurelius 

• Like 2

"The more I know, the more I know that I don't know."

- Cody Jinks

• Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 7:03 PM, Li Bai said:

"The biggest mistake one can make when it comes to social relationships is to assume that the other means what he is saying."

Jacques Lacan 

Surely you don't mean that?

On 2/7/2024 at 12:01 PM, eaglebear29 said:

"You have power over your mind, not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength."

-Marcus Aurelius 

"Everyone's a stoic, until they get punched in the face." - Anonymous

8 hours ago, Li Bai said:

"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work unless it's open."

Frank Zappa

“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.” - Terry Pratchett

• Like 3