2020 NFL season

They have published the schedule, but have stopped collecting on season ticket payment plans. The real question is will they allow fans in the stadiums. I already foresee that they will not allow tailgating before (or after) the game. But how can you maintain social distancing of 6 feet when you've got 66,000 people jammed into the stadiums? I think that we open and close the season (if it happens) with the Redskins.

Unless some how the coronavirus peters out between now and then I doubt there will be a season. If it's anything like the spanish flu it will die down during the summer and explode back up again in the fall/winter.

we had a couple of games of rugby league here without crowds. it is a bit odd for a few minutes but then as normal almost (this was stopped when the full lockdown arrived but talk of it being revived when restrictions are relaxed). 

the players all talked about wanting the atmosphere and the crowds but then when play started, they spoke about how they hardly noticed. they focus on the game and playing their best. 

it is less of a problem than you might think not to have the crowds. besides, these days with the skins, it will be a positive for home games - we won't be outnumbered by opposition fans any more. 

i think that the higher powers will push very hard for the season to start. it would be a bad look for them if it does not. it may or may not be the responsible thing - depends on conditions at the time - but it would put things in focus for many. 

i remember a pom outside a soccer stadium in london interviewed early in the crisis. as far as he was concerned, whatever the government did was fine because this had to be stopped, but he drew the line at stopping the soccer. that would be far too serious. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smatthews607 said:

They have published the schedule, but have stopped collecting on season ticket payment plans. The real question is will they allow fans in the stadiums. I already foresee that they will not allow tailgating before (or after) the game. But how can you maintain social distancing of 6 feet when you've got 66,000 people jammed into the stadiums? I think that we open and close the season (if it happens) with the Redskins.

I’m a season ticket holder and just got my last payment billed and paid for. The way the owner talks, they’re expecting to play.

3 minutes ago, Zaphod42 said:

I’m a season ticket holder and just got my last payment billed and paid for. The way the owner talks, they’re expecting to play.

Eagles billed the first installment, then notified us that they were waiting for further details from the league. Now that the schedule is out, I expect them to start billing again. I just hope that we are in a situation in Philly that we can actually attend games. We are still a long way from the point that stay-at-home orders will begin to be eased in our community. The governor extended the order until the beginning of June for the Eastern half of the state.

The Raiders sold out the new stadium in Las
Vegas for the season in day at the highest average ticket price in the league. Too bad, if and when things went back to normal I would have loved to go there for a game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

we had a couple of games of rugby league here without crowds. it is a bit odd for a few minutes but then as normal almost (this was stopped when the full lockdown arrived but talk of it being revived when restrictions are relaxed). 

the players all talked about wanting the atmosphere and the crowds but then when play started, they spoke about how they hardly noticed. they focus on the game and playing their best. 

it is less of a problem than you might think not to have the crowds. besides, these days with the skins, it will be a positive for home games - we won't be outnumbered by opposition fans any more. 

i think that the higher powers will push very hard for the season to start. it would be a bad look for them if it does not. it may or may not be the responsible thing - depends on conditions at the time - but it would put things in focus for many. 

i remember a pom outside a soccer stadium in london interviewed early in the crisis. as far as he was concerned, whatever the government did was fine because this had to be stopped, but he drew the line at stopping the soccer. that would be far too serious. 

The Redskins look pretty good this year with new coaching staff and new people upstairs. 

1 hour ago, Smokecigareveryday said:

The Redskins look pretty good this year with new coaching staff and new people upstairs. 

coaching staff a huge improvement. so frustrating so many young former skins assistants doing so well elsewhere when we kept the lesser gruden. the upstairs is not so much new people but allowing the better guys to finally have a chance and getting rid of the vermin like bruce allen. 

personally, i suspect that the skins may have a very difficult year this year but we are looking for big improvements the following season and to really compete the year after that. we have a potentially superstar DL (i think it could be the best in the comp, even noting the 49ers, over the next year or so) but the backfield, bar collins, very dodgy. the OL has a lot of holes and question marks. good WRs but they are either rookies or have a year behind them. ditto the QB. the RBs could be good but only AP does not get injured. no TEs. a lot will depend on how haskins goes. if he steps up, we might scrap 5-6 wins. if it all clicks, we might get 8. i think 3-5 most likely. if haskins falls short then we are a serious contender for the trevor lawrence stakes. 

even if the DL has a stellar year, i don't think the offence will be able to stay on the field long enough. the DL will end up exhausted. points will follow and we don't have the offence to score enough to offset that. 

but i have been very wrong before. often. 

7 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

coaching staff a huge improvement. so frustrating so many young former skins assistants doing so well elsewhere when we kept the lesser gruden. the upstairs is not so much new people but allowing the better guys to finally have a chance and getting rid of the vermin like bruce allen. 

personally, i suspect that the skins may have a very difficult year this year but we are looking for big improvements the following season and to really compete the year after that. we have a potentially superstar DL (i think it could be the best in the comp, even noting the 49ers, over the next year or so) but the backfield, bar collins, very dodgy. the OL has a lot of holes and question marks. good WRs but they are either rookies or have a year behind them. ditto the QB. the RBs could be good but only AP does not get injured. no TEs. a lot will depend on how haskins goes. if he steps up, we might scrap 5-6 wins. if it all clicks, we might get 8. i think 3-5 most likely. if haskins falls short then we are a serious contender for the trevor lawrence stakes. 

even if the DL has a stellar year, i don't think the offence will be able to stay on the field long enough. the DL will end up exhausted. points will follow and we don't have the offence to score enough to offset that. 

but i have been very wrong before. often. 

The less we expected from the skins the better they performed in the past.  We should have kept Sean Mcvay and signed Cousins in 2015 for cheap when he wasn't greedy. Jon Gruden should been gone after the RG3 fiasco.   

31 minutes ago, Smokecigareveryday said:

The less we expected from the skins the better they performed in the past.  We should have kept Sean Mcvay and signed Cousins in 2015 for cheap when he wasn't greedy. Jon Gruden should been gone after the RG3 fiasco.   

jay. we might have done better with jon.

i think you can blame jay for a lot but not rg3. that largely pre-dates him. 

don't think cousins was ever going to be cheap. money is very important for the guy. have to say i was never convinced by him. very good against lesser teams but never clutch and never able to really step up when needed. i don't think he has done that for the vikes either. 

but absolutely, we should have kept mcvay. we all knew it but it was still very early in gruden's tenure so i understand what they did. really bad timing. 

2 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

jay. we might have done better with jon.

i think you can blame jay for a lot but not rg3. that largely pre-dates him. 

don't think cousins was ever going to be cheap. money is very important for the guy. have to say i was never convinced by him. very good against lesser teams but never clutch and never able to really step up when needed. i don't think he has done that for the vikes either. 

but absolutely, we should have kept mcvay. we all knew it but it was still very early in gruden's tenure so i understand what they did. really bad timing. 

Jay Gruden was brought in to make RG3 a better pocket passer. He threw RG3 under the boss and chose Cousins in his first year as a coach.  So in a way he has failed to groom RG3.  But in the long run RG3 wasn't going to have any success anyway because of the way he plays the game. 

15 minutes ago, Smokecigareveryday said:

Jay Gruden was brought in to make RG3 a better pocket passer. He threw RG3 under the boss and chose Cousins in his first year as a coach.  So in a way he has failed to groom RG3.  But in the long run RG3 wasn't going to have any success anyway because of the way he plays the game. 

agree with all that but rg3 was stuffed from the knee and that was pre gruden. gruden largely got the job because he claimed he could fix rg3. epic fail. cousins came in because of the injury. 

in fairness to rg3, he did have fabulous success until the injuries took him. granted a single season and with kyle S, a far better coach (plus dad) than gruden. but i agree that it was unlikely to continue. defences would have worked it out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ken Gargett said:

agree with all that but rg3 was stuffed from the knee and that was pre gruden. gruden largely got the job because he claimed he could fix rg3. epic fail. cousins came in because of the injury. 

in fairness to rg3, he did have fabulous success until the injuries took him. granted a single season and with kyle S, a far better coach (plus dad) than gruden. but i agree that it was unlikely to continue. defences would have worked it out. 

RG3 tried to be something he is not- a pocket passer.  He had tremendous talent and would have been very good in today's league if he kept himself healthy.  But he didn't play smart and tried to be a tough guy without knowing how to slide.   I am getting the Jameis Winston vibe from Haskins. I don't know if that's good or bad. 

Giants season ticket holder here. So far they have extended due dates on payments for tickets. They are expecting games but already said full refund for any games played with no fans or cancelled. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Smokecigareveryday said:

RG3 tried to be something he is not- a pocket passer.  He had tremendous talent and would have been very good in today's league if he kept himself healthy.  But he didn't play smart and tried to be a tough guy without knowing how to slide.   I am getting the Jameis Winston vibe from Haskins. I don't know if that's good or bad. 

yes, i think rg3 thought there was nothing he couldn't do and was not clever enough to play to his strengths. 

interesting you mention winston. i honestly have not thought that at all. but this is the year he establishes himself as a potential long term starter or relegates himself to a career as yet another adequate back-up. i reckon 60/40 he plays well enough to be the starter but no guarantees. 

3 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

yes, i think rg3 thought there was nothing he couldn't do and was not clever enough to play to his strengths. 

interesting you mention winston. i honestly have not thought that at all. but this is the year he establishes himself as a potential long term starter or relegates himself to a career as yet another adequate back-up. i reckon 60/40 he plays well enough to be the starter but no guarantees. 

Gone are the days when QBs had 3 to 4 years to establish themselves as starters in the league.  Now days you need to be able to deliver instantly or else you are out.  Dan Snyder used to fire coaches left and right in the past but I think he was traumatized after RG3 fiasco and kept jay guden for too long as a result. 

• JohnS changed the title to 2020 NFL season
  • 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Colt45 said:

I'd been thinking there'd be a 50/50 chance at there being a season, but as of late I'll be a little surprised if they end up playing.

colt, i think that there are certain people who would very much see it as in their interests for the season to go ahead and they will put pressure. but a long way to go with the virus before any final decisions. 

what intrigues me is if no season, what happens to the draft?

same order as last time? 

a giant lottery for the order?

i read one report which said that everyone moves up a spot but the bengals go to the 32nd spot. love that!! 

also interesting is what about trades etc, from last time. i have seen reports that they won't count this time and others that they will. i think it is tough that you give up a pick for consecutive drafts.

a matter perhaps more for skins fans but if the report that we all move up one, bar the bengals (i should add that this report did not come from a skins fan), what would you do? if lawrence is as good as they seem to think, do you jettison haskins - rather unfair after so few games - and take lawrence? do you use the pick to trade for more? or do you take sewell to protect haskins? 

for me, if they see lawrence as the next NFL superstar QB then while it might be tough on haskins, you take him. you could always keep them both for a year, let them compete and then trade the one you don't want. be fun to see. 

13 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

colt, i think that there are certain people who would very much see it as in their interests for the season to go ahead and they will put pressure. but a long way to go with the virus before any final decisions. 

what intrigues me is if no season, what happens to the draft?

KG, perhaps I should have said that it wouldn't surprise me if they did not play. I do believe that they'll do everything possible to have a season, but with so many variables, we'll see. I know they've cancelled this year's supplemental draft, but I've not seen, read, or heard if there are any contingency plans for the draft if there is no season this year.

To be honest, right now I'm not sure if I care if there is any NFL, NBA, MLB, or NHL for this year.....

1 hour ago, Colt45 said:

KG, perhaps I should have said that it wouldn't surprise me if they did not play. I do believe that they'll do everything possible to have a season, but with so many variables, we'll see. I know they've cancelled this year's supplemental draft, but I've not seen, read, or heard if there are any contingency plans for the draft if there is no season this year.

To be honest, right now I'm not sure if I care if there is any NFL, NBA, MLB, or NHL for this year.....

i'm sure that they have not made a decision yet.

and yes, it does seem like a minor issue with everything going on.