Zoom Video Review - Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo de Rio Seco - ABO ABR 19

MoeFOH

2 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

so, should we include consideration on the speed which a cigar smokes in the overall impression it gives? 

I'm with you Ken,   If you're buying a cigar, and it was fantastic, but gave you a burn time that was 75% of what you were anticipating,  then in reality you are being robbed of the 25%.    If you kept on pouring that bottle of Pol Roger,  but the 5th glass had vanished into the ether,  you'd be pissed off, and rightly so. 

I think expectations are funny like that. As they say, and pardon my crassness, but wish in one hand and shit in the other... See which one fills up first. 

Ambient conditions. (Temp + RH) How loose or tight your cigar was. Age of tobacco. What RH was the cigar stored at. 

There's a lot of variables that could've swung that cigar from a 1 hour stick to a 1.5 hour stick. What I will say is that the box was at least consistent. You both had about the same burn time, even tho Rob's seems to have been a bit more decadent in flavor. I'd be curious to see if that same box is revisited and they yield the same or roughly same burn times. 

Much like we spoke about on a diff thread... Getting too high or too low on any given CC is a huge mistake. When you think you've figured it out, you smoke a dud. Low expectations and you're blown away. It sounded like you both enjoyed it. To me it's more about flavor than the burn time. I'm with Rob. Thank you both for another great review. I'm smoking one today and yes... I'm gonna time it.

Cheers

P.S. I've finished my RS. Total smoke time 2 hours and 10 mins. Pure bliss. It was my first cigar of the day and it delivered. Fuller in flavor than any SJ (and I love me some SJs). It did get slightly hot in the last 3rd but nothing that distorted the flavor or distracted me too much.

• Like 1

I agree with Ken, smoke time should impact a cigars smoke.  I had a box of 2016 VRDA's that I was lucky to get an hour 30 out of.  It made the cigar less desirable given my punch dc's (and other dc's) were 2+ hours.

Right after Rob says he does all the cooking, there is an interesting video cut.  Would have loved to see what was lost there!

Got a 10-er off the recent 24:24. Fantastic, although mine are AGO 19. 

Big ring gauge but feels nice and weighty in the hand. Thick, viscous smoke, satisfying. Didn't burn that quickly for me and I was pulling often as it was so good! Sweet cream and yes I get that gingernut biscuit note too. Lovely. Smoked the house down. Might need some more. 93-94/100. ??IMG_20200511_202026.thumb.jpg.78af45a1f79fee394263ff387fc5aeff.jpgIMG_20200511_202034.thumb.jpg.e6169bfc2da54ba0bb2859ed8e2d0d2c.jpgIMG_20200511_203647.thumb.jpg.21732abc03922cd719fa34e68efaa3d6.jpg

Took in a Rio Seco just yesterday actually. I do agree for the size impression it gives, it does burn quite fast. But a delicious cigar. Another big cigar that has burned quickly in my experience is the Bolivar Libertadores