2020 FAT BASTID RECIPES COMP!!

MoeFOH

On 2/23/2020 at 9:24 PM, Ghabanos said:

Looks like we have some very experienced and smart ppl competing. I can’t wait to see results. 

my two cents:

carbs/no carbs  fats/no fats.  Vegan/non-vegan. They all have their advocates. 

we have one real enemy.

CUT SUGAR! Sugar will be the death of all of us!

no easy, since I have been addicted to sugar for most my life  

trying to see if my body reacts to keto well  good luck all  

Sugars are a type of carbohydrate. The only fuel source that your brain uses to function is glucose, a simple sugar, which also happens to be the preferred fuel source for most cells in your body. If you don't consume sugars/carbs then your body makes glucose from non-carb sources through gluconeogenesis. A result of gluconeogenesis is the production of ketone bodies by the liver. Though rare, an abundance of ketones in the body will result in ketoacidosis (more common in untreated diabetics than those partaking in starvation diets). Ketoacidosis if left untreated will kill you.

So sugar will not be the death of us all, it'll be the absence of sugar that'll ultimately do it.

Everything in moderation is the better route to go, but good luck with your keto diet.

interesting.

ketones and ketosis is a very hot topic these days.

the laymen would say that less sugar is good since they will, through gluconeogensis, use up fat storage.

agree that everything in moderation is good, but these days, refined sugar is over used? 

On 2/27/2020 at 4:33 AM, Ghabanos said:

interesting.

ketones and ketosis is a very hot topic these days.

the laymen would say that less sugar is good since they will, through gluconeogensis, use up fat storage.

agree that everything in moderation is good, but these days, refined sugar is over used? 

Ketosis is the metabolic state in which your body is breaking down fat for energy (gluconeogenesis). This in turn creates ketone bodies. Too many ketones in your blood causes it to get acidic and will result in ketoacidosis.

There are better ways than a keto diet (essentially starving yourself of an essential nutrient) to lose weight. A well balanced diet along with exercise is a better approach.

Refined sugar may be overused in food processing, but it doesn't mean you have to consume it. It's about self control and being able to make good decisions when it comes to food choices.

IMG_1641.thumb.JPG.188694ede9c699f55ef632d03b61fc32.JPGIMG_1640.thumb.JPG.1613af80d2e059ab91ea82c80bf90bae.JPGIMG_1644.thumb.JPG.546391cb73fe510bcf1af3bb99f3545a.JPG

Blackened Salmon with Pineapple Avocado Salsa

Might sound weird, my thoughts at first too, but restaurant quality IMHO.  Great on Friday nights during Lent for practicing Catholics.  Also a great source of protein and healthy fats on days where breakfast and lunch has limited fat.

Salmon:  4 ounce Filet, 1/2 lime, 1/2 tsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp fine sea salt, 1/4 tsp cayenne, 2 tbs butter

1. Heat a cast-iron skillet over high heat

2. Spritz the salmon with lime juice.  In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, sea salt, and cayenne.  Rub the seasoning into the pink part of the fillet.

3. Melt the butter in the hot skillet, then place the salmon, skin-side down, in the pan and cook until blackened on one side, 4-6 minutes.  Flip and cook the other side for about 3 minutes (cook time will vary depending on thickness of filet).  Fish is done when its just a little pink and flakes easily with a fork.  Serve with salsa.

Salsa:  1 ripe medium avocado, 1 small jalapeño (diced), 1 cup diced pineapple, 1 tbs chopped cilantro leaves, 11/2 tsp lime juice, 2 tsp avocado oil, 1/4 tsp fine sea salt, 1/8 tsp black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and toss

• Like 1

• MoeFOH pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/29/2020 at 1:44 AM, sho671 said:

Ketosis is the metabolic state in which your body is breaking down fat for energy (gluconeogenesis). This in turn creates ketone bodies. Too many ketones in your blood causes it to get acidic and will result in ketoacidosis.

There are better ways than a keto diet (essentially starving yourself of an essential nutrient) to lose weight. A well balanced diet along with exercise is a better approach.

Refined sugar may be overused in food processing, but it doesn't mean you have to consume it. It's about self control and being able to make good decisions when it comes to food choices.

easily said if u have the sefl control.  I reckon I have a food addiction (or sugar addiction)

• 4 weeks later...

One recipe we have been eating a lot lately is a Ginger Peanut Tofu Curry. It's a winner for us because tofu was one thing that was easy to get when people started buying out the stores of all the meat. My 7yo daughter who seems to hate anything that even got near spices eats the baked tofu alone with rice and loves it. So it ends up being a winner for all of us. I took a pick as we were packing it up. It is REALLY good. Found online at http://homespuncapers.com/2016/03/14/ginger-peanut-tofu-curry/ 

Ginger Peanut Tofu Curry

500g firm tofu, cut into 1.5cm cubes
3.5 tbls olive oil
3/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
200g | 1 large onion, roughly chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
40g | large thumb size piece ginger root, grated
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp ground cardamon
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 x 400g tin of diced tomatoes
2 tbls natural peanut butter
375ml | 1.5 cups vegetable stock
1 bunch spinach, trimmed and shredded (or other leafy greens)

Fresh coriander leaves (cilantro) and cooked rice, to serve.

Set your oven to 220C.

On a lined baking tray, toss your tofu with 1/2 tbls of olive oil and 1/4 tsp of salt. Spread out in a single layer and bake for 30 min, till golden and crisp – tossing half way through.

In a large saucepan over medium heat, fry the mustard seeds in the remaining olive oil till starting to pop – 1-2 min. Add the onion and cook till soft and starting to colour – 5 min. Stir in the ginger, garlic, spices and remaining salt and cook for a further minute till fragrant.

Add the tomatoes and peanut butter, stir till combined and then mix in the stock. Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer, cooking uncovered for 10 mins or so, till it is a rich sauce. (I let the curry simmer till the tofu is done baking).

Stir in the tofu and spinach and cook for a couple more minutes till spinach has wilted and tofu slightly softened – 2 min. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.

Serve topped with fresh coriander and alongside some steamed rice or flat bread.

Will keep airtight refrigerated up till 5 days. Though tofu will lose some texture, it will still taste delicious.

[/recipe]

4509004F-73E6-4ADB-B13E-684680E91CE9.JPG

• Like 1

I’ve been doing a low carb diet, it works for me and I feel really good on it, really takes away inflammation. When I eat carbs I feel tired and joints hurt. Here are some examples of food I eat. The egg casserole is just eggs ham red peppers onions and season to your liking and bake in oven for about 20 minutes on 350. The chicken is stuffed with spinach and goat cheese and ricotta cheese baked in the oven , comes out really moist. 

E20BD8B4-2C5F-49BE-8DCF-21BA79407A63.jpeg

256E67AA-DCD1-4ADA-9717-806990EAFC3E.jpeg

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

From my experience, keto diet works best. I'm literally cleansed the body of trash. Entirely exclude carbohydrates from your food. This means that nothing sweet, cereals, fruits, baked goods, starchy or sweet vegetables (such as beets, carrots, potatoes) are allowed. You can use only green vegetables, but the number of carbohydrates should not exceed 20-50 grams per day. If you sometimes break down and eat little carbohydrates, sharp jumps in blood sugar will continue. So you won't have a smooth transition to the ketosis process since the body will still wait for the usual carbohydrates. In general, just download the keto diet app, all the necessary info is there.