Cigars lead Cuba's agricultural exports

https://www.plenglish.com/index.php?o=rn&id=47949&SEO=cigars-lead-cubas-agricultural-exports

Cigars lead Cuba's agricultural exports

joa-cuba-tabaco.jpg

Havana, Oct 15 (Prensa Latina) Cuba is expected to report revenues of more than 260 million dollars from cigar sales in 2019, the country's major agricultural export, a source from the sector reported on Tuesday.

The development program has led to the production of more than 30,000 tons of leaves over the past three harvests, so the necessary raw material exists, explained the Director of the Tabacuba Business Group in western Pinar del Rio province, Justo Luis Fuentes, quoted by Granma newspaper.

As part of the strategy to increase revenues, several initiatives have been implemented such as increasing special editions of Premium cigars (hand rolled) and sales of surplus raw material that cannot be used to roll, he pointed out.

Fuentes added that all 23 tobacco-growing enterprises in the country have already received the fundamental resources for planting, despite the tightening of the US blockade.

Precisely a few days ago, Tabacuba reported that from April 2018 to March 2019, the damage to the sector due to Washington's punitive measures amounted to 145 million dollars.

The executive explained that most providers of packaging materials, spare parts and other supplies for the cigar industry are linked to the US market, and cannot do business with Cuba.

Another effect of the blockade is the increased freight costs for imports and exports, due to the US prohibitions and sanctions against shipping companies.

Cuba produces the world's best tobacco and US citizens are banned from freely acquiring its world famous cigars.
  • Like 1

This would seem to validate the claim by some that non-Cuban cigar companies use Cuban tobacco in their blends:

As part of the strategy to increase revenues, several initiatives have been implemented such as increasing special editions of Premium cigars (hand rolled) and sales of surplus raw material that cannot be used to roll, he pointed out

Cuba is expected to report revenues of more than 260 million dollars from cigar sales in 2019, the country's major agricultural export, a source from the sector reported on Tuesday.

That seems quite low...they've been around 400-500 million a year for many years. I doubt they're selling another 200 million on the island or in raw materials. 

Nice to have excuses for incompetence ... :teacher:

Five mentions of blockade, punitive measures, prohibition, sanctions and ban in an 8 paragraph press release ... the situation must be bad.

Happy the weather was good and no Hurricane was mentioned - or god forbid the use of bad Venezuelan fertilizer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I feel like the title should read, Cigars Lead Cuba's "Agricultural" Exports.  

8 hours ago, smokin.joe said:

This would seem to validate the claim by some that non-Cuban cigar companies use Cuban tobacco in their blends:

As part of the strategy to increase revenues, several initiatives have been implemented such as increasing special editions of Premium cigars (hand rolled) and sales of surplus raw material that cannot be used to roll, he pointed out

They have been doing exporting Cuban tobacco for the 25 years that I have been in the game. They don't export their primo cigar leaf however. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, smokin.joe said:

2 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

They have been doing exporting Cuban tobacco for the 25 years that I have been in the game. They don't export their primo cigar leaf however. 

I took that to meaning tobacco for cigarettes.

7 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

I am sure it is the majority. 

However, once upon a time there was Goya cigars out of the Canary Islands that used Cuban tobacco. They weren't too bad.  That is just one example.

I can't recall the wrapper but the filler seemed mostly volado with a touch of secco, no ligero. Very light. 

I was at a talk that with owner of Casdagli cigars. He claimed he had bought and received a container of cuban filler that he was using for a cigar coming out next year. He also talked about his familys special connection with cuba that made the claim credible. That guy had some awesome stories.

On 10/16/2019 at 4:04 PM, smokin.joe said:

"...such as increasing special editions..."

And this seems to validate the claim that Havana is perfecting the art of turning dirt into gold pushing the envelope....:lol:

Like Rob sais, Cuban raw tobacco has always been exported, after the revolution mostly low grades and picadura. Not just for cigarettes (Brascuba), also for cigar use. Even some European makers of dry-cigars use it. So, that is nothing new or surprising at all. But don't hold your breath on that one. Neither quality leaf, nor do the big NC-brands use Cuban leaf in their blends since product simply wouldn't be marketable in the US.

22 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Cuba is expected to report revenues of more than 260 million dollars from cigar sales in 2019, the country's major agricultural export, a source from the sector reported on Tuesday.

That seems quite low...they've been around 400-500 million a year for many years. I doubt they're selling another 200 million on the island or in raw materials. 

Indeed, this figure seems odd. I guess this is earnings/revenue as opposed to gross turnover/sales? Sales have been up year after year the last years, with north of 500 million USD in sales reported for 2018 (537 m, 7% up over 2017 with 500 m, 2016: 445 m USD).

30,000 tons of tobacco harvested on average over the last three campaigns seems a pretty good figure.

Precisely a few days ago, Tabacuba reported that from April 2018 to March 2019, the damage to the sector due to Washington's punitive measures amounted to 145 million dollars.

Nothing very precise about something being a few days ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 10/17/2019 at 11:23 PM, Fugu said:

Indeed, this figure seems odd. I guess this is earnings/revenue as opposed to gross turnover/sales? Sales have been up year after year the last years, with north of 500 million USD in sales reported for 2018 (537 m, 7% up over 2017 with 500 m, 2016: 445 m USD).

Those are HSA figures.

I took the figures in this article to be Tabacuba figures 

I could be wrong :thinking:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Those are HSA figures.

I took the figures in this article to be Tabacuba figures 

I could be wrong :thinking:

Right, that'll likely be the explanation! And half of HSA's revenue figures wouldn't add to the island's GDP anyway, that's true.

On 10/16/2019 at 6:34 PM, Fuzz said:

Hajenius and some other Euro brand cigars have Cuban tobacco in their blend.

Cuba really needs 2 more items ahead of tobacco to play it safe.