Beverly Hills bans sales of tobacco products starting 2021

It looks like it carves out exemptions for Hotels that can offer it through hotel concierges.   Also the 3 existing cigar lounges will receive a exemption.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/06/05/beverly-hills-approves-tobacco-ban-first-us/1361229001/https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/06/05/beverly-hills-approves-tobacco-ban-first-us/1361229001/

1 hour ago, BoliDan said:

What's the over/under on when they try to amend to remove the current exemptions. My money is on 2022.

100% contingent on who owns and uses the lounges. The well connected will keep their exemption forever. If producers and actors frequent those establishments they don't have a thing to worry about. 

"What we’re saying is we’re not going to take part in selling it. They are not going to buy it in our city. People’s right to smoke is obviously something we hold sacred," Said Councilwoman Lili Bosse. 

Well as long as they hold the right to smoke sacred.  ?

3 hours ago, BeerPimp said:

It looks like it carves out exemptions for Hotels that can offer it through hotel concierges.   Also the 3 existing cigar lounges will receive a exemption.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/06/05/beverly-hills-approves-tobacco-ban-first-us/1361229001/https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/06/05/beverly-hills-approves-tobacco-ban-first-us/1361229001/

Crony capitalism at its best!!

5 hours ago, Psiman said:

I know Grand Havana Room and Buena Vista Lounge what is the other place you can smoke ? Bev Hills is D-Bag city anyway and there are much better places to have cigars than there. I reside in L.A. and never had any affinity for Beverly Hills. Too many overcompensating D-Bags for me. L.A. has so many cigar lounges that are very nice. People that think L.A. isn't a cigar friendly town ought to Google cigar lounges in L.A. , it's ridiculous how many are here. Ventura Blvd. is one every half mile, that"s how saturated it is.

It seems like even if a city/state bans cigarettes many still allow cigar lounges to stay open.   Our states no smoking policy carved out an exemption for cigar lounges.

Tobacco is evil, marijuana is welcome & "beneficial".  Smoke is smoke...  I bet they feel so proud of themselves stamping out tobacco sales....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Tobacco is evil, marijuana is welcome & "beneficial".  Smoke is smoke...  I bet they feel so proud of themselves stamping out tobacco sales....

Next they will ban cars, gas stations, steak, gas grills, motorcycles, scooters and cow farts. Marijuana?...No problem. 

Gotta love the People's Republik of Kalifornia. ?

• Like 2

Smoke is smoke is like saying drink is drink when comparing squash and spirits. No smoking marijuana isn't risk free, but to compare it with smoking cigarettes! 

It also doesn't help our case as cigar smokers to say all smoking is the same. 

19 hours ago, Psiman said:

I know Grand Havana Room and Buena Vista Lounge what is the other place you can smoke ? Bev Hills is D-Bag city anyway and there are much better places to have cigars than there. I reside in L.A. and never had any affinity for Beverly Hills. Too many overcompensating D-Bags for me. L.A. has so many cigar lounges that are very nice. People that think L.A. isn't a cigar friendly town ought to Google cigar lounges in L.A. , it's ridiculous how many are here. Ventura Blvd. is one every half mile, that"s how saturated it is.

The other one is Nazareth’s on Cañon. You have quite a hatred of BH it seems. I’m at GHR often by the good grace of friends who are members and it’s unwarranted to attach a dbag tag to grand Havana room because you hate the city. Everyone’s pretty great there and cigar guys aren’t dbags anyway lol. We welcome you in this city ; )

On 6/8/2019 at 6:36 AM, FatherOfPugs said:

Smoking is smoking is smoking is smoking. Try to justify it anyway you want, but smoke is smoke, is still smoke. If you're banning tobacco, then marijuana needs to go as well. Banning one without banning the other is asinine. To say one causes something while the other cures is also asinine. The American Lung Association (ALA) says that "Smoke is harmful to lung health. Whether from burning wood, tobacco or marijuana, toxins and carcinogens are released from the combustion of materials. Smoke from marijuana combustion has been shown to contain many of the same toxins, irritants and carcinogens as tobacco smoke." 

So, time to get off the high horse that smoking marijuana is sooooo much better than smoking tobacco. You want to take the oils, eat edibles, ok, that I believe does have benefits to helping certain diseases and issues people have (you're not inhaling it), but to say smoking something is better than something else....nope. I call bullshit. And so does the ALA. 

Saying marijuana smoke doesn't carry the same risks as tobacco is like saying I won't get drunk from bourbon but I will get drunk from tequila. Both are spirits, but only one will get me drunk when I drink it. Nope. Not the way this works. 

Hmmm, the ala on cigarettes - 

"Smoking harms nearly every organ in the body, and is a main cause of lung cancer and COPD. It also is a cause of coronary heart disease, stroke and a host of other cancers and diseases" 

The ala on cannabis - 

"leads to symptoms such as chronic cough, phlegm production, wheeze and acute bronchitis." 

Plus something about air bubbles which may or may not happen more than with non smokers.

And may suppress your immune system (like drinking and cigarrettes do). 

And you know why they mention carcinogens and Not cancer? Because the link between marijuana and cancer has Not been proven. Some studies say yes, some no, possibly due to the Anti tumour effects of THC

From myth busters - 

"There is a fourth study the BLF could have included, but we’re not surprised it didn’t. Donald Tashkin of the University of California has studied the effects of cannabis on the lungs for three decades and found that even smoking as many as 20,000 cannabis joints does not increase the risk of lung cancer.

To what must be the BLF’s horror, he goes on to speculate that cannabis could even have a positive effect on the health of a smoker’s lungs. The active ingredient tetrahydrocannabinol or THC may have an “anti-tumoural effect” in which cells die before they age enough to develop mutations that might lead to lung cancer."

So yes, smoking anything is probably bad for your lungs, no smoking one thing is not necessarily the same as smoking another. 

Sorry I was reading a different ala page on marijuana - 

https://www.lung.org/stop-smoking/smoking-facts/marijuana-and-lung-health.html

And I was comparing cigarrettes to marijuana, not cigars (though saying smoke is smoke will include cigars for most non cigar smokers). 

From webmd as another example - 

"Animal research suggests that some chemicals in marijuana work against tumor growth, which could explain why lung cancer isn’t showing up as often as scientists might expect in people who smoke it. The studies on this are in their early days, and researchers need to take a deeper look into this theory."

So I agree with you on cigars, never said otherwise, but I don't think the evidence is there to say smoking marijuana is the same as smoking cigarettes risk wise. 

1 hour ago, FatherOfPugs said:

Ok, I think that is where the disconnect was. As I said, you want to smoke pot, go ahead, I have no problem with that, just don't think there are 'no' risks involved with smoking anything. Which is what many pot smokers try to say, pot smoke is not bad for you at all......I don't quite think so, and that is my point. We just don't have the research on pot because it has been illegal for sooooo long.

Inhaling any smoke can't be good for you.  Within that potential for harm there are degrees of impact.