LCDH Dubai

Trekking the Everest Base Camp trek in October (If I don’t make it to the top I’ll blame it on my discovery of FOH 6 months prior to the trek...) 

As of now, the return flight goes through Dubai. Has anyone purchased/visited the LCDH shop within the airport? Selection good?  As a newbie, what advice would you give as far as looking for the hidden jewels within LCDH stock?  This will likely be my first visit to a LCDH shop and I want to make the most of it.

Finally, any fellow Americans have any experience with bringing CCs back through customs via Dubai?  

Thanks in advance for your commentary. 

For those interested, I’ll let you know how smoking CCs and high altitude trekking pair. ? (assuming not as good as orange juice)

Look at date codes, they tend to have some quite old stuff sitting on the shelves.  They do have a great selection, there are multiple walk-in humidors in the airport, some in different terminals.  If you have time to check them all out, some have things the others don't.

Pricing is OK.  Somewhere between storefront retail and grey market.  You won't be FOH prices.  Be warned, the staff is not knowledgeable.

• Thanks 1

Travel thru Dubai once or twice a year. Like @mt1 said, multiple humidors scattered within the various terminals, my experience is with some in Terminal A and B. Last November, I saw quite a few Bolivar Emirati regional for about $500 as well as Punch EL17. They also had quite a few 5 pack boxes of Parti E2 from 2011. No HTF cigars like HUSW or Cohiba Lancers/ Esplendidos/ BHK but did see quite a few CoRo and CCE. 

You can bring back max of 100cigars or $800 worth of cigars, whichever is lower but in my personal experience, I have never been checked when I declare a couple of boxes.

There is  a nice smoking area inside the Emirates First Class lounge but cigars are not free!

Good luck on your trek and good hunting!

• Thanks 1

The Bolivar Emirati's look really great and I am kicking myself for not buying a box the last few times going through that airport.  They'll open the boxes for you at least.

• Thanks 1

Ramon Allones Las Palmeras a good buy if you like Sublimes size, $220USD/10 Lebanoin Regionals and you may find the Bolivar Emiratos on the shelves still. Maybe some ScDLH Prado on the shelves next week apparently.

Prices if you depart Dubai are good, the Duty Free in arrivals isn't duty free, twice the price. mind the stock is ageing nicely ;-)

Terminal A and B are best shops, concourse C hit n Miss with stock. I travel through once or twice a month.

Keith.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@BrightonCorgi 

Based on the advice here and from what I’m reading, the plan will be to acquire some regionals and leave the rest for FOH.  

The motto is “inspection is a must”  

@Coloniales great info   I’ll be stopping by on way out.  Great advice and recommendations.  

Finding 100 good sticks won’t be a problem  

2 hours ago, Hookmaker said:

SLR Herfing they also have ? IF you like Montescoooo.

They are terrible - do yourself a favor and buy something else instead...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, shippers said:

Does anyone know if they sell singles or small packs of tubos in the terminals? Unless it's a unique box I would rather get boxes from my usual sources. But visiting a casa is a nice chance to try something new.

They have small packs - usually 3's some 5's. Thats what I usually pick up now. I travel a bit and reside in Dubai so know all the shops well enough. Inventory is hit and miss at times, make sure if you buy a box have it opened up and checked. I've found dinged wrappers and i feel the stock is overly humidified at certain times of the year. 

Personally prefer buying full boxes of FOH, I get a better price and far better quality. Only pick up the occasional smaller box as you mention to get a change. You also can pick up non-cuban smaller packs. Davidoff is good, and has a great assortment but pricey. 

• Thanks 2

....your opinion - could be someone actually do love these little orphans

...and bless their little hearts for it :)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/21/2019 at 7:35 AM, Thirds said:

For those interested, I’ll let you know how smoking CCs and high altitude trekking pair. ? (assuming not as good as orange juice)

I've smoked cigars at lower altitudes - the highest was almost 4000 metres in Kazahkstan - problem is not smoking them but lighting them .... My jet torch refused to work, happy to have some other lighting methods with me.