You Will Never Smell My World the Way I Do

You Will Never Smell My World the Way I Do

An interesting article in the NYT today discussing a study on how our genetic code effects the way we smell. I think they should have used 150 jars of assorted CIGARS for the study, but that's just me...

From the article " What’s different about this study is that it attempted to identify the genetic underpinnings of a broader number of scent-detection differences. You have around 400 olfactory receptors at the top of your nasal cavity, and they activate differently depending on what you’re smelling. “Odors bind and turn on specific detectors, and this pattern of activation tells us if we’re smelling a flower, how strong we find it, whether we like it,” said Dr. Trimmer. “Small changes in the gene for the receptor can change its shape and how well the odor fits, thereby altering perception of the odor.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/03/science/smell-odors-people-scientists.html?utm_source=pocket-newtab

4 hours ago, BoliDan said:

This would explain why others seems fine with "floral", but I find it utterly repulsive. I want to toss the cigar or whisky that contains floral notes as soon as they become even a secondary flavor.

Back in the late 90's I smoked some NC HdM's with a maduro wrapper that had massive amounts of floral notes.

5 hours ago, BoliDan said:

This would explain why others seems fine with "floral", but I find it utterly repulsive. I want to toss the cigar or whisky that contains floral notes as soon as they become even a secondary flavor.

Agreed 1,000,000x.  Dave Dude also describes the floral note as "soapy" which is a better way to describe the negative connotations of this tasting note IMO.

15 hours ago, BoliDan said:

You’re clearly not a gardener. Lol

Seriously, from your handle and avatar you’re a Boli man.

Not a fan of the Tubos No.1? I always get a floral note from them.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BoliDan said:

Same same. I can't stand the flavor note in cigars, food, or whisky. I find beets to be repellent. 

It's a fascinating subject, I love so many  foods/drinks/smells from the whole spectrum of rich, subtle, pungent, delicate etc but some just leave me almost ill.

The two worst are vinegar and garlic, I can smell anything with either from miles away, garlic even through the packaging in sealed ready meals in other people's baskets in shops etc and it's not even a "That's unpleasant" they leave me gipping and having to evacuate the area, it's like how the smell and reaction you associate with vomit.

I have had odourless garlic in the past as a supplement and it made me ill, it left me wondering if smells are linked to what your body is set up to crave/be poisoned with.

You see some animals avoiding certain plants etc that we know are poisonous to them, is our olfactory sense linked a little deeper than what's really accepted? Kind of like the craving a pregnant woman can get when her body needs a certain nutrient?

3 hours ago, Guybrush said:

Sometimes in a Magnum 50. Sometimes also in a D4. I call it old women's perfume or the lavender plague.

Wow. This surprised me. I’m one of those guys who doesn’t like the lavender perfumes but the mag 50 and D4’s are two of my go-to’s.