Ramon Allones Hermitage RE Russia REG Nov 17 (RARW)

I was pretty excited about this smoke. The Genios/Robusto Extra (52x140) is my favorite size, the Connie A most notably, and that’s what the Hermitage comes in at. The wrapper is smooth and a lovely rosado color. I decided to pair this with a 2012 LBV Port. The serious port drinkers here like @Ken Gargett and @BrightonCorgi would likely not be impressed with my selection, but hey, here in Montana it’s slim pickings for Port. 

BCA43E25-21B7-4F67-B88C-145F40F987C1.thumb.jpeg.cb7a6c8f6c41375020fa41a9bb9e4300.jpeg

A cold draw yielded aromas of cedar and barnyard. However, I could tell right away that this cigar might have construction issues as the draw was just off. This fella is just about 18 months old, I was concerned about it being too young, this is the first I have smoked from this box. I keep my humidor at 65%, I did not drybox before smoking. 

After lighting up I was immediately greeted with all the markers of a cigar that is too young; bitterness with a slightly sweet aftertaste, a bit like walnuts, although not exactly in a good sense. Over the first 1/3 the bitterness was also very tannic and dried my mouth out and I was left with an aftertaste of minerals and ash. The burn was really poor and uneven with the draw exacerbating the subpar flavors. 

64ACE704-B248-42ED-869B-541D36FCF270.thumb.jpeg.4400a5fd53d86fb853c9b1aa28da433c.jpeg

As the first third moved into the second, I was encouraged to start to get some positive notes of dark chocolate and toasted tobacco. But they were more whiffs than full flavors. The lousy burn persisted and I had to re-light about 6 times. As I came down the home-stretch on the second third, nothing had given me too much to be excited about. This included the 38 degree temperatures and landscape of snow on my porch. So, I called it a day. 

D87EB0E6-72B9-4379-A7B8-3289EDBE66DA.thumb.jpeg.5b8bd3c43be397d0e041b7c1cb415ff1.jpeg

So, you’re probably picking up on a general dissatisfaction in this smoke. I was excited about this one, and it was pretty much a complete disappointment. These definitely need more time down, and hopefully that will improve them. As this stands right now I would rate this a 6 out of 10 or a 63 out of 100. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Markspring1978 said:

I was pretty excited about this smoke. The Genios/Robusto Extra (52x140) is my favorite size, the Connie A most notably, and that’s what the Hermitage comes in at. The wrapper is smooth and a lovely rosado color. I decided to pair this with a 2012 LBV Port. The serious port drinkers here like @Ken Gargett and @BrightonCorgi would likely not be impressed with my selection, but hey, here in Montana it’s slim pickings for Port. 

on the contrary. i do think that too many ignore a good port as a match. i'm not familiar with that one but good LBVs are terrific drinking and we do not have to sit around for decades. and sadly, we can't drink brilliant VPs every night. at least i can't. 

I smoke this RA Hermitage one in a month to see the evolution and I would say it's getting better and better. I mostly pair it with strong drinks, last one was Havana Club Maestro Selection and that was very good pair. Try this with something strong and in good temperature condition next time and probavly you'll like it more :)

I am not to resolute when it comes to drink and cigar pairing.  Light the cigar you want to smoke, and drink what you want to drink...  There's no wrong or right.

• Like 1